ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 01-05-05, 10:39 AM

NeoJetice is on a distinguished road
College suspension... lost...

Okay uhh.. I was suspended from college due to terribly low grades. I wrote an appeal telling them how it was hard concentrating and staying focused and how I went days without getting a good nights rest and how I procrastinated a lot and how I kept forgetting my schedule [I had like 7 classes]. My appeal was denied and I decided to go to one of those mental health professionals to see if something was up. They said I had been diagnosed with ADD and stuff like that. Now I don't know what to do because I have removed all of my belongings from the college and I don't know If I should tell them and if they will let me back in. So.. uhh.. I kinda need help.. heh...
Old 01-05-05, 11:46 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
Having the diagnosis now does not guarantee they will let you back in. I found that out the hard way several years ago. But, if you contact them again with documentation of your ADD they may give you some stipulations about returning. I suggest contacting students services at the college and asking them who to contact.
Old 01-05-05, 01:16 PM
Contributor

pittguy578 is on a distinguished road
What year are you in school? I think your best bet would be to try to enroll in a community college this semester if possible. Show them that you are capable of doing college level work, and I think they will let you back in. College is so expensive nowadays that I wouldn't risk another semester until you have your ADD under control.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-05, 01:59 PM
Contributor

janesays is on a distinguished road
I've been on academic probation before and had to appeal to reinstate my financial aid which I still am not getting. Luckily I didn't let it get so far that I was suspended because it's a whole year before you can come back after being suspended. My experience with academic probation was an absolute nightmare and it still is because I have to walk a tight rope with my GPA so I don't fall below a 2.5 again. My completion rate was 69.99% you need 70% to avoid probation and they still gave me probation and dropped my financial aid. I don't know what to do to get it back but it would sure help my parents out alot. I'm sick of being a constant disappointment to them.

NeoJetice-
You gotta fight it. Play their game. It's all in the technicalities. They most likely don't care about your personal situation unless it's something that they are supposed to care about. I agree with Tara contact student services or the office of disabilities and at least figure out what is out there for you. Technically you have a learning disability. At least that's how I view ADD. Look at is this way, you just found out you had a learning disability or ADD, you haven't been accessing the services availible to students with disabilities and didn't know they existed. You need another chance now that you know what your dealing with and would like to utilize those services availible to you. You just had a bad semester/year, and would like another chance. Get your Doctor in on this too if you can. Sometimes documentation from an authority figure like a doctor may make a difference. Although I must say it seems like in most situations like this schools follow guidline pretty closely. So at least figure out what those guidlines are.
Old 01-05-05, 02:29 PM

Carolina is on a distinguished road
When I was in college, I was suspended for a semester due to GPA. I appealed and they still told me to sit out a semester even with the ADD appeal.

7 classes sounds like a lot. I liked taking a lot of classes because I am quite ambitious, but I also found that I got very overwhelmed after a few weeks and started skipping classes and not doing assignments. When I came back the next semeseter I took the minimum number of classes for a full time student so I would have a better chance at actually graduating. Also talked to the disabilities cooordinator and my professors about ADD and special accomidations like getting books on tape and stuff.
Old 01-05-05, 09:02 PM
Jr Member

Lisa G is on a distinguished road
I had a problem in one class, got 2 F's went to the community college for an assessment, I was advised to get tested for ADHD and then I landed up in this human rights case that is still going on and on, but I got back in the class took the exam with accomodations and got a B.

The trick is do not fight or reac in the room with the "authoriities", but look for technicalities and file everything on paper, evething, place it all in order of time, put it in a briefcase, go to writelaw just to see how many people go through the same thing, as the above poster said, don't give up, I gave up in my 20's I am not giving up my seat now, even if they put my pelvic exam in the newspaper so what, I am fed up.

My gpa is 3.6, I do one class at a time sometimes 2.