ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-05, 11:48 AM
ADDvanced Member

blueyemass1979 is on a distinguished road
Best ADD recipe ever

This recipe really helps me stay alert in the morning, more than any other food I've tried. The best thing is, you can make it in advance (say, five days worth on Sunday night), and it's a complete breakfast you don't have to cook or prepare.

My variation of this is not to cook it--just eat it cookie-dough style. It tastes good that way--baking makes it lose most of the sweetness from the apple juice. Just leave out the baking soda and make sure to use Old-Fashioned oats, not the "quick" oats, since the bigger Old-Fashioned oats will help keep it moist.

Ellen's Hunky Monkey Vegan Breakfast in Hand- a 40-30-30 zone food

By: Ellen's Kitchen
3 cups rolled oats
3 tablespoons vital wheat gluten (optional if you aren't baking, but it does add important protein)
1 cup trader joe soy protein (any vanilla-flavor protein powder will do)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons fructose (I used maple syrup)
1/2 cup pecans or sunflower seeds chopped
3 tablespoons canola oil
1/3 cup chopped dried fruit or raisins
1/2 cup water or apple juice (apple juice necessary for taste)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup flour, oat or rice flour; as needed to thicken
1 cup or more additional liquid to achieve texture (varies, depending on additions)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease a cookie sheet.

Mix everything but the flour, let it sit a few minutes, then beat with a fork until it begins to thicken. Add enough liquid or flour to make a stiff dough.

Roll or pat out on the cookie sheet, about 1/4 inch thick, cut 20 pieces. Cut with cookie cutter or roll out a rectangle on a greased cookie sheet and separate into 4x5 rectangles for 20 biscuits or bars.

Bake 12 minutes.

The apple juice adds additional carbs, but nice flavor, and some folks enjoy a little cinnamon.