ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 11-19-12, 06:03 AM

RoxyMusic is on a distinguished road
Consumer Options:Let's Come Together As A Community And Fight Generic Price Increases

Hi everyone,

Bear with me long post ahead!

Well after the problems I had with Dex I am back to using it. I found that it works better than any other medicine that I tried in the short period away from it. Thanks to all those that offered suggestions and advice! I guess I am going to chalk it up to bizzaro medication issues. This is the first time I have been on this type of medication since being diagnosed in January. I can't tell you how much my life has improved during the past 11 months. Being diagnosed was still the best thing that happened to me, and even though I had a hiccup, I have no regrets about seeking treatment. So far so good since I came to the world of Dex. Thanks again to everyone here for your input and advice!

Anyway, now that I am back to using Dex, I see the price is getting out of control, so maybe I won't be for long. Without insurance I can't afford the price increases that are occurring. I am going to fight like hell however and advocate for the ADHD community and for those that dextroamphetamine has been a beneficial medication to control ADHD symptoms.

Over the next few weeks you will probably see posts of mine on various forums etc. The recent rise in price of this medication will hopefully give us an opportunity to come together as a community and to fight back against drug company or drug distributor greed. I am not sure who is responsible yet. I hope to do more digging and uncover exactly what is happening.

In the mean time, without getting into conspiracy theories, here is what I know:

• Jeremy Levin became Teva's (Barr) new CEO in May of 2012. Mr. Levin came from Bristol Myers Squibb.
  • Mr. Levin has been quoted in several sources his desire to increase Teva profitability. He plans to release the company strategy, under his leadership, December 11th. (http://www.globes.co.il/serveen/glob...71807&fid=4111) One article of many.
  • Shareholders and analysts have been critical of Teva's low shareholder earnings and profitability. See above linked article.
  • On the November 1st Third Quarter 2012 Teva earnings call the CFO of Teva mentioned cost increases in Europe, but was mum on increases in the US. Here is what he had to say about generic pricing in Europe: "As mentioned on our previous quarterly call, to address the ongoing price and regulatory pressure in key markets in Europe, we are moving away from a pure growth focus to a profitable and sustainable growth model for generics in Europe. As part of this model, we are being more selective in our go-to-market routes and have stopped utilizing certain discount and rebates, which reduced profitability, and avoid aggressively priced tenders while still maintaining our leadership position". (http://seekingalpha.com/article/9689...nscript?page=4)
It appears to me, and this is just my opinion, that Teva will be raising the price on several high demand generics to increase profitability. Or possibly they still can't meet demand due to DEA caps so they are raising the price to limit sales and fall within the caps, avoiding a shortage situation. This is all just speculation and hopefully we will know more on the December 11th call.

So what can we do? We can either decide to ignore this and be deprived of another medication that has been successful at treating our ADHD (Desoxyn, Dex ER) due to cost. Or we can use the infinite resources of the internet to come together as a community and organize retaliation to unjust pricing. And for those that don't use Dex just remember your medication of choice could be next. If we take a stand against ridiculous price increases, on medications that have been around for about 80 years, it may compel the drug companies or distributors to think twice before raising prices to obscene levels or prompt action by government regulatory agencies.

In the meantime please report increases to the FTC by filing a complaint. If you have been affected by the cost increases or know someone that has. Let them know the profound effect of being deprived of your medication due to cost. It only takes a few minutes. You can file a complaint here: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/ This is very important. The FTC stated that a goal in 2012 was to investigate rising drug costs.(http://www.ftc.gov/os/highlights/201...ionDrugs.shtml) They need to hear from us. There needs to be some groundswell. The more people that file complaints the better. They take action based on consumer complaint volume. Also, spend a few minutes more and contact your state AG and file a complaint. States in the past have compelled the FTC to take action on issues or have taken action themselves. Again, it requires making your voice heard. Here is a listing to all 50 states Attorney Generals websites and phone number: http://www.consumerfraudreporting.or...enerallist.php

Even if you are insured and pay a small copay, remember that this increase may affect you also, via increased premium costs or more restricted access to the medication, due to cost. Also, please think of your ADHD brethren without insurance. Anyway, you can file a complaint as well to voice your concern on increased insurance costs due to a massive price increase.

If you have made it this far, sorry I am hyperfocusing again, let me know what your thoughts are and if you are interested in getting the word out. Also, any suggestions you have. Would love to hear it!

My plans, over the next few weeks, are to get some of the other ADHD forums involved such as Reddit. I will be contacting the ADHD advocacy groups such as CHADD. Starting a petition, and coming up with a way that you can contact your elected politicians with either a form letter or personal letter. Also, I will try to reach out to some of the consumer advocacy groups to see if they are interested in getting the word out.

Admittedly, this is a little selfish of me to be taking this on and asking for help from the community as I stand to benefit, by way of having access to my medication and leading a successful/normal life, if prices are not raised. I imagine there are many more out there like me that have benefited greatly from their medication and are going to be put into a situation where they can't afford it and have no other options. This medication was commonly prescribed to those without insurance, because of the low cost. Also, I figured maybe it would unify us as a community, to advocate for our own well being and future well being. I may be being delusional or a dreamer that I can make a difference, but I have some time and would like to fight like hell trying, for once in my life. I can't do it by myself though. I need help from the community. Trust me that I am very willing and able to take this on and put in a bunch of work to ensure success. I won't just drop it and forget about it after a week. This is something that I am very compassionate about. Not asking for money, I promise! Just great ideas, your time and people power!

I will leave it at that. Please let me know what you think. I am open to all suggestions, ideas and offers for assistance! Let's use people power and collectivism to fight for our well being!

Thanks for reading!!

**Mods - Sorry for not posting this in the price increases due to shortages thread! I just figured maybe it would benefit from it's own thread since it's looking like the price increases may be permanent. And it could use some visibility in order to build awareness and potential action by the community. If I have broken any rules or you don't think this post is appropriate for the forum, my sincere apologies! Feel free to move the thread wherever or let me know if I can make changes to make it appropriate material. Thanks!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RoxyMusic For This Useful Post:
buddy (11-25-12), Cirinda (04-21-13), Gina (11-25-12), ww2Vet+dextabs (02-01-13)
Old 11-19-12, 08:44 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Nate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud of
Re: Let's Come Together As A Community And Fight Generic Price Increases

I don't know what formulation of amphetamine you take, but I have discovered that the generic IR tablets are about 2.5 times less expensive than the generic ER capsules on a same dose size basis. If we find the IR acceptable, we should ask the doctors to prescribe those. I have insurance and both the ER and IR cost $10 a script, but I am opting for the IR now. My guess is that Barr/Teva who makes the CR capsules I have taken has pretty much the same expense between the two formulations now.

--Nate

Last edited by someothertime; 08-09-14 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: t-split
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nate W For This Useful Post:
RoxyMusic (11-19-12), ww2Vet+dextabs (02-01-13)
Old 11-21-12, 12:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough

The one thing you can control is the pharmacy you buy from. There is a wide variance in price from one chain to another. Places like Costco tend to be on the lower end.

Last edited by someothertime; 08-09-14 at 05:35 AM.. Reason: t-split
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-12, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1973 View Post
The one thing you can control is the pharmacy you buy from. There is a wide variance in price from one chain to another. Places like Costco tend to be on the lower end.
Sorry for the lack of updates. Got tied up with holiday festivities.

Costco was actually one of the first to start showing the quadrupling of price.

There are two other options for me to try, that I can afford, and I am not so sure that I want to switch to a different medication and go through new side effect or ineffectiveness, when the one I take works just fine.

Last edited by someothertime; 08-09-14 at 05:38 AM.. Reason: t-split
The Following User Says Thank You to RoxyMusic For This Useful Post:
Vito, ADDer (11-24-12)
Old 11-24-12, 04:12 AM

One other thing I didn't think of, what happens when all the folks that can no longer afford Dex IR move over to Adderall or Ritalin, due to those being the lower cost medications. Supplies of both may be strained leading to a whole new shortage situation.
Old 01-31-13, 09:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

VOltaire will become famous soon enough

Instead of fighting a billion dollar industry with limitless reserves, fight the man and check out the pharmacist's expression when he discovers your discount!!! Coast2CoastRX program does the impossible or honors prices below anything else you might have paid! I've drawn the treasure map its up to

you t follow it???
Old 07-27-14, 06:05 AM

lyndonboy is on a distinguished road

Yeah Wilshire started selling their 10mg. Dex tabs at Food City in East Tn. They don't want to publicize their product right now so they can quietly slip into the market and charge the same high ridiculous prices! They charged me $289.99 per month supply: 4 10mg. IR tabs =120 per month! Used to get it 3 months worth at a time but when they wanted almost $1500.00 for supply that previously I pages no more than $125.00 for I had no other choice but to split it up struggling to pay $300.00 a month! I mean this medicine has been out forever, yes they need INVESTIGATED,!!! HELP!!! Thanks to everyone that are speaking up and trying to help!
Old 07-27-14, 07:08 AM
ADDvanced Member

Vito, ADDer is just really niceVito, ADDer is just really niceVito, ADDer is just really niceVito, ADDer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOltaire View Post
Instead of fighting a billion dollar industry with limitless reserves, fight the man and check out the pharmacist's expression when he discovers your discount!!! Coast2CoastRX program does the impossible or honors prices below anything else you might have paid! I've drawn the treasure map its up to you t follow it???
I followed it, along with the same "treasure map" drawn by four other similar programs, and I found that the treasure is built from fool's gold. The discounted price at my local Costco pharmacy was lower than the price they would have charged me with Coast2CoastRx, or any of the other discount prescription programs.

I don't deny that Coast2CoastRx and their ilk might provide pricing that is a big improvement over retail pricing, but for those who never pay retail in the first place, it provides no advantage — at least not here in California.

But it's a moot point for me now, because the Feds forced me onto Medicare earlier this year. What I pay now is less than I paid when I first started taking dex 15 years ago, before the drug companies started charging the insane prices they charge today.
Old 07-29-14, 06:07 AM
ADDvanced Member

Matt329 will become famous soon enough

Damn I really sympathize (can't empathize though) with you guys. With my health insurance I only pay $10 for 100 pills and free psy visits. Look at the bright side:

Even if you pay say... $350 for 90 dex pills that's what? $3.8 a pill!?

Last edited by someothertime; 08-09-14 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: t-split
Old 07-29-14, 09:34 AM
ADDvanced Member

Vito, ADDer is just really niceVito, ADDer is just really niceVito, ADDer is just really niceVito, ADDer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt329 View Post
...I'll probably have the same (problem) when Obama Care kicks in and I lose my insurance.
No, no. That can't possibly happen. He promised that everyone would get to keep their insurance. Remember? [/sarcasm]

Meanwhile, back in the real world, it already has happened here in California. My family had insurance, and we were forced off it and onto the new idiocy. (Notice that it has the word "...Care" in it. That's how you know that it has nothing to do with caring. They always lie.)

I see that nothing has happened with the "Let's Come Together..." strategy. Alas, that was predictable. The drug companies are a cartel that's protected by the legislation bought by their billion$. Dex users are too small a minority to matter...even if we were all completely unified, and we're not.

The drug companies are charging astronomical prices for one reason: because they can. It's set up that way. There is as much chance of knocking down the artificially escalated prices as there is of getting dex off the controlled substances list. That's what it would take to bust up the drug cartel. The Government™ won't solve the problem; they created it.
Old 07-31-14, 03:30 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,434 Times in 6,132 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Meowderator Note

Moderator Note

While the discussion of new laws and the impact they have upon ADD treatment access is encouraged , politics in and of itself is a restricted topic.

Please keep this discussion about ADD treatment access. as per
forum guidelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidelines
Banned Topics:
* The main focus of ADD Forums is to provide a safe supportive place for people affected by AD/HD, and other co-morbid disorders. To do this, sometimes we must limit the scope of the permitted topics, to foster such a supportive environment.

* We have had issues arise here that have prevented this from happening - primarily members voicing their opinions about religious and political matters. While everyone is allowed their own opinions, there really is no other way to prevent such issues from "disturbing the peace", except to keep these things completely out of the ADD Forums in the first place.

* It is against ADD Forums Guidelines to discuss religious and political matters on the ADD Forums.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (08-07-14)
Old 07-31-14, 04:46 AM
Contributor

HADDaball has disabled reputation

Shop around.
Old 07-31-14, 05:56 AM
ADDvanced Member

dag nab it is on a distinguished road

Shop around?! I saw lower prices listed online with coupons - but of course, the medication was not available. Years ago, I was able to buy Dex by mail order - but that service isn't available any more either.

I haven't filled my last two scripts - just because the medication has become so expensive. I save the Dex on hand for days when I absolutely must get through urgent paperwork and bills. Otherwise, I use just enough of the old Ritalin I have at home to get myself into the shower - I didn't take it this morning, and it's already late!

I'm wondering whether I should cancel my psychiatrist's appointment - no point in spending over $100 for the doctor, when I can't bring myself to go looking for and then - if I can get the script filled - spend the big bucks for the meds.
Old 08-01-14, 01:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

dag nab it is on a distinguished road

I signed up for the AARP's prescription discount. Their online price showed the script price as $121. At the pharmacy, using AARP, the price is $199 - or 64% more.
Old 08-04-14, 11:51 AM
ADDvanced Member

Eaaqas has a spectacular aura aboutEaaqas has a spectacular aura about

*raises hand*

80% of you switch to concerta! <3 supply and demand :P