ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Depression
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-05, 02:05 PM
Contributor

pittguy578 is on a distinguished road
Sunday Blues

I have posted a few times on this board about how my job is affecting my mental health. There is nothing I want to do at my current employer, and I feel like I am wasting my time and not using my abilities. The commute is killing me so it's hard for me to look for another job, and I am so burned out from everything, it's hard for me to get pumped up.

I took one day off last week, and I was fine Thursday night, Friday, and last night. Now that I realize I have to go back to work tomorrow, I am getting down and depressed again. This seems to happen every Sunday. I had an interview on Friday, my first one in a while, and I am hoping that I get it. I am just hoping that I am not too emotionally and physically exhausted to do a good job...I have been really down as of late. I feel like a total loser..
Old 01-09-05, 02:25 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Ian has disabled reputation
When I feel like a loser I have to find ways to win. These started out being small things. Very very small things at first. When I'm down I'm not capable of much and I have almost zero tolerance for failure.

I used to do something simple like clean up the kitchen. Order in the house sometimes makes me feel like all is not lost when I'm feeling particularly bleak.

Whatever the task I need to choose carefully because breaking a glass while I'm washing the dishes can be of no help.

When I start small like that I can usually gain some momentum.

Eating less carbs like sugar, and getting regular aerobic (60% of maximum heart rate) for a half hour four times a week makes it much harder for me to get down on myself.

Sleep seems to be a great factor in helping me remain tolerant through the tasks I might prefer not do do. Between the exercise and meditating twice a day I seem to be calm enough to sleep better than I have in years.
Easy does it.
Cheers! Ian.
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old 01-09-05, 02:56 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

free2bme has disabled reputation
Great comment ian,

"Whatever the task I need to choose carefully because breaking a glass while I'm washing the dishes can be of no help." man, i have been there. at any rate, it sounds like you definitely need to address this depression and i truly hope you can find a job that makes better use of your natural abilities. there is something awful about hating the place you have to report to 5 days a week. it's understandable that you're depressed under the circumstances. best of luck.

"After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music." Angela Monet
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-05, 06:42 PM
Contributor

pittguy578 is on a distinguished road
Yeah I have been unhappy for a while,(close to 9 months) , but I was hestitant to start a new job due to some personal issues I have been having. I had a family member, with whom I was very close, pass away last summer and my mother is suffering from a mental illness. I moved back in to help her out, but she is not doing well, and it is wearing on me now. I may move in with someone else, at least temporarily, until the job situation is remedied.
Old 01-10-05, 01:31 AM
ADDvanced Member

shinobi has disabled reputation
my last job was similar. I wasnt medicated at the time due to having just mooved to australia. At first it was good, i had cash, was out burning excess energy, meeting people, etc. In the end **** from the bosses, combined with a high level of drug use within the comapny on top of being loaded with more pressure than anyone else and getting the lowest wage for it realy got to me. I was getting up at 5am and getting home at 7pm, eating, showering and sleeping, then repeat. I almost always got loaded with some job about 5 mins befor lunch that needed doing '20mins ago, so hurry the **** up because im late, and if im late on the delivery then youll be late going home'. Well yeah sure, ill load over 20 tons onto your truck within the next 20 seconds, and ill do it by hand as well because the forklift guy is always coming over during the lunch break to replace tiyers that got burst because you dont know how to drive them properly. I was using the money from it to try and pay off debts and had hoped to save some cash up to help with going to college. They fired me though for giving the boss verbal. It wasnt justifyed, he tried to run me over ffs, talked constantly of rapeing me because hes a sadeist (his words). It was a blessing in disguise getting the sack, except for the money side of things and the timing (good bye, have a nice christmas) But that dosent mean im not bitter, i could sue their scrawy asses for it, they short changed me on my last pay cheque as well, but i dont want to be conciderd un-employable in the future. A few days after i got the sack, and had calmed down, i realised just how heavy my job weighed on me. Thats work i guess.
Old 01-10-05, 02:05 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

exeter is on a distinguished road
Good posts so far. What I'd like to suggest is that if you have leave available, take a day or two off every couple of weeks if you can. I found that when I was hitting a burnout stage in one of my jobs that taking a small amount of time off fairly frequently helped a lot. I don't really like taking long amounts of time off because after about 4 or 5 days, I start going a little crazy due to boredom/ADHD... lol.

Just tell your doctor what's going on. That's what they're there for, and I'm sure they've heard it all, your not alone in what's going on. -- jazzper