ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 12-09-12, 10:03 AM
Jr Member

beigaleh is on a distinguished road
Ritalin Low doses

I'd like to hear what you guys feel when you take a low dose of ritalin.
I've been taking about 10mg LA for the past year and I think it's been making me anxious.
The normal doses always seemed so scary because I was always afraid of side effects. The logic is that if i get side effects at the 10mg dose why would they go away with a larger dose?
The Following User Says Thank You to beigaleh For This Useful Post:
Vector (12-17-12)
Old 12-09-12, 10:14 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

lalapin is a glorious beacon of lightlalapin is a glorious beacon of lightlalapin is a glorious beacon of lightlalapin is a glorious beacon of lightlalapin is a glorious beacon of lightlalapin is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Ritalin Low doses

It depends, did you take your meds consistently everyday? I did and the anxiety-type of side effects went away after like 3-4 weeks and only then I increased my dose (I take Concerta + Ritalin). If your body does not get used to side effects and you feel they are not helping either, maybe it's time for a med change or maybe you should try to treat your anxiety as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to lalapin For This Useful Post:
Vector (12-17-12)
Old 12-09-12, 12:52 PM
Contributor

Phoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by beigaleh View Post
The logic is that if i get side effects at the 10mg dose why would they go away with a larger dose?
Weeeelll.... yes and no. I understand your logic, but medication dosing is a good deal more complex than that.

For instance, 10 mg Ritalin is too low of a dose for me, with the effect that it makes me sleepy. That effect goes away when I'm on a proper higher dose.

There are many, many things that can affect your response to medication. Your anxiety may be a part of your AD/HD, or it may be a response to your current medication and dose, or it may be an additional issue requiring its own treatment. Trial and error over time is the only way I know of to determine which is which.

There are some great videos and articles on Dr. Parker's corepsychblog regarding the therapeutic window. I think that would be a great place to start and I think having a more thorough understanding would help you feel better, too. Good luck.

Rx: Dextroamphetamine IR for ADD-PI.

Currently on a trial of Chlorpheniramine for depression & anxiety. So far so good.

Formerly on Wellbutrin, Prozac, and various forms of
Ritalin, Adderall, Vyvanse
The Following User Says Thank You to Phoenix Ash For This Useful Post:
Vector (12-17-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-12, 12:19 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,908 Times in 821 Posts
keliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond repute

A low dose of Ritalin works well for me. I'm hypersensitive to all medications; an enzyme deficiency in the liver means I'm what they call a "poor metabolizer." I generally have a blood serum concentration that looks like about twice the dose of medication I'm actually taking, since my body isn't processing the medication like it should. With that knowledge, my doctors usually prescribe me half the dose they actually want me to start on (so instead of 20 mg, they would give 10 mg) to anticipate that blood serum increase.

I haven't noticed any increase in my anxiety on Ritalin, and actually found that it has decreased my anxiety a lot. Helped me sleep a lot better, too.

"I've got a mountain to climb before I get over this hill
I've got the world to unwind before I ever sit still..."
- A Long Way to Get, Bob Schneider
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keliza For This Useful Post:
beigaleh (12-16-12), Vector (12-17-12)
Old 12-17-12, 07:06 AM
ADDvanced Member

Vector is a jewel in the roughVector is a jewel in the roughVector is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by beigaleh View Post
I'd like to hear what you guys feel when you take a low dose of ritalin.
I've been taking about 10mg LA for the past year and I think it's been making me anxious.
The normal doses always seemed so scary because I was always afraid of side effects. The logic is that if i get side effects at the 10mg dose why would they go away with a larger dose?
Yes, try it!

Ideal avarage dosages can vary from 0.25mg to 30mg. This not only depending on the peron's weight, but also sensitivity, your unique biochemistry. Experienced users also vary their intake depending on how the feel in the moment and what they have to do later in the day.