ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Wellbutrin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Wellbutrin (bupropion hcl)

Old 12-14-12, 11:03 AM
Contributor

demuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to all
Headaches when starting Wellbutrin -- they go away, right?

I'm 10 days into starting the initial dose of Wellbutrin XL 150mg qam, and I've had almost as many days with headaches than not -- the first few days, then they mostly quit, and now they've started up again.

I'm assuming this is part of the usual ramping-up side-effect game and they'll eventually go away once my brain adjusts to the funky new chemicals playing with it, right? Right?
Old 01-03-13, 11:22 PM
Contributor

demuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to all
Re: Headaches when starting Wellbutrin -- they go away, right?

I'll answer my own question it took about three weeks for the last of the headaches to subside. The effect on my mood has been positive, but it hasn't done jack for attention/focus.

I go up to 300mg tomorrow.
Raye (02-02-13)
Old 01-04-13, 10:36 AM
Blitz Attack Moderator

Thanked 2,684 Times in 1,391 Posts
Raye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Demure I didn't see this-

Wellbutrin made my already weekly headaches worse, when I started it I had a headache every single day for the first 4 days.. plus it just made me feel 'jacked' up. Jacked up with a headache was way too weird for me, and even though it's supposed to build up in your system I guess, but I started noticing too many side effects too quickly so I stopped it.

*I've accomplished one of my dreams... I've been to both Oceans*
The Following User Says Thank You to Raye For This Useful Post:
demuregeek (01-04-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-13, 11:50 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,684 Times in 6,015 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad the headaches didn't last. I've never taken wellbutrin (in the UK it's only prescribed as a smoking cessation aid) but most side effects of the other anti-depressants I've taken didn't last longer than a few weeks. Well, apart from the constant tiredness.

I wonder if it takes some time to work on attention/focus as well. Usually it's said that anti depressants can take up to 6 weeks to be fully effective.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
demuregeek (01-04-13)
Old 01-04-13, 08:01 PM
Forum ADDvocate

425runner has a spectacular aura about425runner has a spectacular aura about

I always get headaches on Wellbutrin, as a matter of fact I'm in the process of quitting yet again...hopefully for good. I felt so much better without it today, not angry, not agitated, no road rage...
The Following User Says Thank You to 425runner For This Useful Post:
demuregeek (01-04-13)
Old 01-04-13, 10:35 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I wonder if it takes some time to work on attention/focus as well. Usually it's said that anti depressants can take up to 6 weeks to be fully effective.
*nodnod* The folks over at CrazyMeds suggest that Wellbutrin acts a bit faster than most ADs -- it's certainly been the case for me, since I started seeing positive effects re depression within a few days. I haven't really noticed much of an improvement with regards to effectiveness since then, though -- that plateaued within those first few days and maybe took a little dip around the same time the headaches went away.

We'll have to see how much difference the 300mg dose makes. If it doesn't start having some effect relatively soon, I'm inclined to head back to my GP sooner than 6 weeks. My pdoc told me that I should give the Wellbutrin a month, but it probably wasn't going to adequately address my attention and focus problems on its own.
Old 01-12-13, 09:22 PM

scottegon is on a distinguished road

I started on Wellbutrin 150xl and had no headaches. They then wanted me to go up to 300xl and on the 4th day I started getting bad headaches and felt racey. I called and now they are switching me to 200xl. The Wellbutrin helped with my depression symptoms but not my anxiety. I take klonopin 10mg every once in awhile when it gets too much to handle. Has Wellbutrin helped anyone with anxiety?? Still have crap running through my head about when I was really depressed that won't seem to go away too!! ugh Wish the medicine would erase some of those negative thoughts
Old 01-18-13, 03:23 PM

koali777 is on a distinguished road

I epic migraines at first and hypertension but with water and yeah a few weeks of getting used to it, I did much better