ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 12-19-12, 04:57 PM
Jr Member

Broken1 is on a distinguished road
ADHD; They can take their H and Shove it..

Yes, I said it! Take your “H” and shove it. Sorry to those of you who are reading that are partial to the hyperactive type of ADHD. I simply cannot stand all the attention being given to the Hyperactive type of ADHD. They used just to call it ADD but in 1994 they changed it to ADHD and placed us non-hyperactives in a “subtype” as ADHD; Predominantly Inattentive (ADHD-PI). I understand that even if it was still called ADD that they would still have subtypes listed but we would be at least on even ground with the Hypers. The hyperactive type would have been listed as a subtype along with non-hyperactive(inattentive) type. It is frustrating to know that they added the “H” which glorified the hyperactive type and minimized the inattentive type. Also by listing our type as ADHD-PI, it makes it look like we have “hyperactivity” but we are more inattentive than the usual ADHD’ers. Well let me say this loud and clear for all those ADHD experts out there(at least the ones from 1994)…..WE ARE NOT HYPERACTIVE! We don’t have one iota of Hyperactivity in our being. So why were we changed to be listed under ADHD! I don’t get it. We are type of ADD, for sure, but not type of ADHD, right?
Can anyone help me understand the adding of the “H”.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Broken1 For This Useful Post:
Daydreamin22 (01-15-14), Oasis77 (01-10-13), Tmoney (01-14-14)
Old 12-19-12, 05:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,069 Times in 10,645 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD; They can take their H and Shove it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1 View Post
Yes, I said it! Take your “H” and shove it.
Sorry to those of you who are reading that are partial to the hyperactive type of ADHD.

I simply cannot stand all the attention being given to the Hyperactive type of ADHD.

They used just to call it ADD but in 1994 they changed it to ADHD and placed us non-hyperactives in a “subtype” as ADHD; Predominantly Inattentive (ADHD-PI).

I understand that even if it was still called ADD that they would still have subtypes listed but we would be at least on even ground with the Hypers.
The hyperactive type would have been listed as a subtype along with non-hyperactive(inattentive) type.

It is frustrating to know that they added the “H” which glorified the hyperactive type and minimized the inattentive type. Also by listing our type as ADHD-PI, it makes it look like we have “hyperactivity” but we are more inattentive than the usual ADHD’ers.

Well let me say this loud and clear for all those ADHD experts out there(at least the ones from 1994)…..WE ARE NOT HYPERACTIVE!
We don’t have one iota of Hyperactivity in our being.

So why were we changed to be listed under ADHD! I don’t get it.
We are type of ADD, for sure, but not type of ADHD, right?
Can anyone help me understand the adding of the “H”.
For one thing, there is supposed to be a backslash between AD and HD
which is often left out. It wasn't done to glorify the Hyperactive sub-type,
which is actually the smallest percentage of all the subtypes but to signify
the knowledge that there are sub-types and not everyone is hyperactive.

The new edition of the DSM which is coming out in a few months is
rumored to separate the Hyperactive/Impulsive ADD from the Primarily
Inattentive ADD as two distinct disorders.

This is discussed in this thread: http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136214

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (12-19-12), Fuzzy12 (12-20-12), Hyperman87 (01-13-14), mirandatoritess (01-02-13)
Old 12-19-12, 06:30 PM
Contributor

Phoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to behold

Wow, what's with all the hostility? It's just nomenclature. AD/HD is just the latest in a long line of terms; I'm pretty sure the name will change yet again.

To answer your question, in the DSM-IV the technical term is actually AD/HD, where the slash before the H is meant to indicate that Hyperactivity is optional. So, Attention Deficit Disorder, with or without Hyperactivity.

For what it's worth, I use the term ADD-PI for myself, but I'm aware that there is a certain amount of hyperactivity within me. But mine is internal, not external. I have a hyperactive mind, not a hyperactive body. From what I've read, this is not an uncommon manifestation.

I feel a level of solidarity with everyone here, regardless of whatever version of AD/HD each person has or whatever term is used. I just feel like we all know something of what it's like to struggle with executive functioning issues, and that helps me understand and feel understood.

At the same time, I also know that each human being is different and each of our issues present in our own unique ways. I don't particularly care what term is used, as long as I can get proper treatment and medication for it. To me, determining treatment through appropriate identification of the problem is the strongest argument for trying to refine the terminology. Anything else is just semantics, as far as I'm concerned.

Rx: Dextroamphetamine IR for ADD-PI.

Currently on a trial of Chlorpheniramine for depression & anxiety. So far so good.

Formerly on Wellbutrin, Prozac, and various forms of
Ritalin, Adderall, Vyvanse
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Phoenix Ash For This Useful Post:
ana futura (12-19-12), danelady (01-02-13), dougpoop (01-02-13), Drewbacca (12-19-12), DvlsAdv0c8 (12-19-12), Hyperman87 (01-13-14), Lunacie (12-19-12), mirandatoritess (01-03-13), Raye (12-22-12), Sapphire11 (12-19-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-12, 06:44 PM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,213 Times in 8,571 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

Whats in a name?
alary (02-03-13), BR549 (12-31-12), danelady (01-02-13), DvlsAdv0c8 (12-19-12), fracturedstory (12-19-12)
Old 12-19-12, 06:57 PM

Thanked 10,112 Times in 5,014 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

adhd goes by several different names

but what your describing will soon be a separate disorder

something about your diet i think
Old 12-19-12, 07:50 PM
Jr Member

Thanks all, I didn't realize that they were gonna separate the disorders. But still wondering why they added the H even if it still technically read as AD/HD. Why emphasize the H, and IMO needlessly so. Especially when Attention Deficit describes us all pretty much. Its just looking up info always has the acronym ADHD in the title and when I start reading the article it most always predominantly discusses the hyperactive part with a small section on the "non-hyperactive" part(if your lucky that it mentions it all) Anyway about my seemingly hostile manner, I apologize, I figure I would vent a little. It's just a shame they added the "H" in there. Why not just leave it alone or distinguish it from the term ADD. Like AD/ID along with AD/HD. I just don't see why the change. They kind of "subtyped" us when we should have gotten our distinction. Anyway I see that they may change it but it still doesn't help all the thousands upon thousands of people who will be researching ADD PI type as there are hundreds of articles stamped permanently(or at least a very long time) with the ADHD Tag
Old 12-19-12, 09:04 PM

Thanked 7,901 Times in 4,068 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

*Grabs the popcorn*

*Waits for peri...I think. Waits for the hyper crowd at least.*

The media just focuses solely on the H because the NT population, they don't do subtly so well. They can only see something as a problem if its right there in their face.

People with hyperactive ADHD may have uncontrollable behaviour that needs to be controlled. It's not just for them but for everyone around them. They disrupt classes more, get into fights, and their impulses really do get them into a bit of bother.

Apologies to my H chums. I know you're not bad little children, but how I else do I get someone to understand?

My H gets me into the most trouble. I offend people, hurt myself (accidents etc), never do anything productive (as in tasks/chores), have hardly any empathy for others, border on O.D.D, spend too much money, make rash decisions, say the stupedist things to people and cannot control myself. I will spend 9 hours wasting time on some sudden thought or sudden interest, get bored and exhausted, and then hate myself.

I have Inattentive ADHD and I get the low energy, the fogginess, that sleep deprived frustration for failing to read Spot Goes to the Beach, and all that other crap. It too sucks.

My hyperactivity has almost gotten me killed many times. That's no exaggeration. I don't know how to safely cross the road, judge the distance between a platform 2000ft above the ground, so that I climb over the barrier and scramble down the jagged cliffs, and I get into so much trouble for having a joke with people.

Both are ADHD, both are impairing, maybe in differing ways, but they make our lives much more challenging. Stop taking sides, man. We're all in this together.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
425runner (12-21-12), ADHDTigger (12-19-12), alary (02-03-13), Corina86 (01-13-14), DvlsAdv0c8 (12-19-12), Fortune (12-19-12), Gilthranon (01-15-14), Hyperman87 (01-13-14), Kirby Albee (01-02-13), krismardenver (12-20-12), Lunacie (12-20-12), mirandatoritess (12-08-13), peripatetic (01-15-14), Sapphire11 (12-19-12)
Old 12-19-12, 09:41 PM
Jr Member

Thanks to All. Pardon my hostility. It's just that its frustrating doing research on inattentive type as it yields alot of deadends. Almost all articles written have ADHD in title and most of them zero in on the hyperactivity, and if your lucky, theres a brief mention of the non-hyperactive type. I'm sort of venting not only on my behalf but the behalf of future others who will research the PI type of ADHD. Anyway back in 1994 they did know there was 3 subtypes right?? Hypers, Non-Hypers, Combined. If they knew of these 3 and all have ADD then why add the H. Either emphasize all 3 or none at all. Why not just leave the acronym as it was...ADD! I guess I just can't used to seeing the "H" in the name of my disorder no matter what letters that they put in front (ADHD-PI) (ADHD-I).

You say that next year they are changing diagnosis DSM that they gonna be listed a different diagnosis. But didn't they already know in '94 that the predominant inattentive subtype did not contain hyperactivity. Which means the "H" in my opinion never should have been added. The future separate diagnosis probably wont help the hundreds of articles already written with the PI type not being mentioned or barely being mentioned.

Anyway I will be very curious in how they separate the diagnosis. Will the acronyms change, will be one of my curiosities.

The Problem with Escapism is...Everywhere I Go; There I Am
Old 12-19-12, 10:09 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

DvlsAdv0c8 is a splendid one to beholdDvlsAdv0c8 is a splendid one to beholdDvlsAdv0c8 is a splendid one to beholdDvlsAdv0c8 is a splendid one to beholdDvlsAdv0c8 is a splendid one to beholdDvlsAdv0c8 is a splendid one to beholdDvlsAdv0c8 is a splendid one to beholdDvlsAdv0c8 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Ash View Post
Wow, what's with all the hostility?
That's what I was wondering. Is this some kind of contest?
"Face your fear, accept your war, it is what it is." - Black Label Society
The Following User Says Thank You to DvlsAdv0c8 For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (12-19-12)
Old 12-19-12, 10:15 PM

Thanked 13,640 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Something that I think that a lot of folks miss is that most PIs have significant symptoms of both hyperactivity and impulse control. Probably not as prominent as the inattentive symptoms and NOT bouncing off walls. Still, it's there.

I'm in the camp with many who have posted. We're all in this together.

When I was diagnosed it was called Minimal Brain Dysfunction. The truth is that it is Executive Function Dysfunction... but the name means little. What is more important is that it is identified and managed.

My opinion, your mileage may vary.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (01-02-13), Corina86 (01-13-14), DvlsAdv0c8 (12-20-12), Hyperman87 (01-13-14), namazu (12-29-12), peripatetic (01-15-14), Phoenix Ash (12-31-12)
Old 12-19-12, 10:22 PM

Thanked 6,259 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

You'll find that hyperactive behavior expresses itself in many ways, some are not so obvious. I never thought of myself as hyperactive, but over time I started to recognize hyperactive thinking, occasional pacing, restlessness while on the phone, etc. It's not always obvious!!!

Personally, I'm insulted that they call it an attention deficit... I don't have a deficit, I just have too much attention to deal with at one time! It's only a name.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (12-19-12), BellaVita (12-20-12), daveddd (12-20-12), DvlsAdv0c8 (12-20-12), Fuzzy12 (12-20-12), krismardenver (12-20-12), Lunacie (12-20-12), Oasis77 (01-10-13)
Old 12-19-12, 10:24 PM
Jr Member

ADifferentDrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1 View Post
Yes, I said it! Take your “H” and shove it. Sorry to those of you who are reading that are partial to the hyperactive type of ADHD.
I appreciate your bluntness haha. You are far from the only one who believes that ADHD is a poor title for the inattentive type. It is not only us the inattentive ADD "patients" who are rebelling against the label we are given. Many researchers also disagree with putting people without hyperactivity under an umbrella that has the world "hyperactivity." For example, Russell Barkley believes that inattention-only is a completely different disorder than ADHD and Adele Diamond believes that saying Attention Deficient Hyperactivity Disorder without Hyperactivity is "awkward" and prefers the ADD label instead.

I believe the original poster wanted to emphasize that the problem lies within the DSM decision makers' labeling system and has nothing to do with personally attacking those with the combined type.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ADifferentDrum For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (12-19-12), Corina86 (01-13-14), Fuzzy12 (12-20-12)
Old 12-19-12, 10:29 PM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 21,633 Times in 9,136 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

Barkley distinguishes between inattentive only and primarily inattentive, which can have subclinical hyperactive/impulsive symptoms, as well as up to 5 full blown H/I symptoms. People who meet the PI criteria but have those symptoms are ADHD-PI. People without any H/I symptoms at all appear to be "SCT."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (12-19-12), Catdog (12-26-12)
Old 12-20-12, 12:00 AM
ADDvanced Member

Fortress has a spectacular aura aboutFortress has a spectacular aura about

I also don't like the "encompassing" term being "Adult ADHD", because it puts emphasis on H a lot...but I think the problem is with widespread ignorance about the subject, not only in the population but even amongst all doctors. I don't think the term itself is the biggest problem nor that you will get anywhere being angry about it.

Anyone who knows anything about ADD will know that PI, H and Comined are ALL "subtypes", regardless of the generic term being "ADHD"...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fortress For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (01-13-14), Lunacie (12-20-12)
Old 12-20-12, 04:42 AM

Thanked 2,996 Times in 1,531 Posts
SquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Spain and when looking up articles re adult ADHD the H is rarely, if ever there.
With kids it´s a different matter and the worrying thing is that many teachers are not taught about ADD/ADHD, autism etc so will do their own research in their own free time which could lead them to missing the signs of an inattentive child.
The Following User Says Thank You to SquarePeg For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (01-13-14)