ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Science in the Media
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Science in the Media This forum is for articles and stories of scientific importance; open discussion is encouraged

Old 01-12-13, 11:54 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,438 Times in 3,291 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute
Could A Dopamine Gene Be the Answer to a Longer Life?

Interesting article from Time Magazine:

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2013/01/1...#ixzz2Hm27OIOD

Dizfriz
The Following User Says Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
ana futura (01-12-13)
Old 01-12-13, 12:37 PM

Thanked 17,515 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Could A Dopamine Gene Be the Answer to a Longer Life?

I'd be interested to see if the variant existed in people with shorter lifespans who didn't interact with their environment. It's probably a piece of something bigger. . . but if nothing else, it's a kick in the pants to get up and get moving!
The Following User Says Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (01-12-13)
Old 01-12-13, 03:35 PM

Thanked 6,238 Times in 3,063 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

One of the things I really dislike about meds is how lazy they make me. Normally I get agitated very easily if I have to sit still (assuming there is not a computer in front of me) and this leads to a lot of moving around and pacing.

I feel so much fitter and energetic off of them. I don't have to try to be active, I just am. On meds I have to force myself to move.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-13, 06:58 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,401 Times in 6,116 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Similar yin-yang effects have been seen with genes linked with depression that seem to provide an advantage in some environments, as well as genes linked with autism that appear to be correlate with mathematical and engineering talent. Which argues against selecting traits based purely on their most obvious benefits: most traits, and the genes that are behind them, seem to come in different flavors that confer both benefits and risks.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2013/01/1...#ixzz2HqsmTvXW

Genetic traits are neither good or bad but can have an advantage or a disadvantage depending on the environment - Now where have I heard that before - See I told you all one day science would catch up - They are getting warmer

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 01-13-13, 12:15 PM

Thanked 17,515 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

meadd, it's always been that way. It's just the people who don't read up on it who think that evolution or genetics select qualitatively. There's no judgment involved at all. Nothing in genetics has a subjective value, only whether a trait influences survival or reproduction.
The Following User Says Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (01-13-13)