ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 01-17-13, 02:07 PM

rslewis96 is on a distinguished road
ADHD, Calculus, Physics and Electrical Engineering...

Hello! I am a college student at IUPUI and I need advice. I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was about five and started taking Ritalin immediately; however, my mother didn't like the effects it had on me so about a year or two later I stopped taking it, I now taking fish oil, L-tyrosine, ginkgo biloba, and a multivitamin instead. I am currently twenty-three and trying to study Electrical Engineering and Physics at IUPUI;however, the Engineering and Physics at IUPUI is calculus based and this is my second semester trying to take Calculus I. I failed the first time through and do not want to repeat my mistake. I am trying to study my brains out, yet I feel like I am not grasping the material well enough. Anyone who has had experience with this sort of issue please tell me what you did. Thanks!

Ryan
The Following User Says Thank You to rslewis96 For This Useful Post:
Aliuar (02-19-13)
Old 01-17-13, 07:11 PM
Contributor

Silvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to behold
Re: ADHD, Calculus, Physics and Electrical Engineering...

I can relate; and to be honest, I don't think I could have turned my bad grades to good grades if I didn't start with my ADHD meds.

College can be rough, and without meds to keep me from going off in every direction, it's hard to zero into what you have to do and keep doing it. All those stuff listed are good for you, and they can help, but it's to a certain margin. They lack the sudden rush of high focusing energy that the meds give.

I'd suggest give the meds another try, and combine it with proper study habits - study at the library, no distractions, that kind of stuff.

It's like giving a left-handed person a pair of right-handed scissors and expecting them to make some paper art. They'll twist their hands and wrists to adjust, turn the paper awkwardly, and take twice as long to cut a not-so-straight line. Are you going to blame them that they can't use a right-handed pair of scissors properly, or hand them a pair of lefty scissors?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silvermoonstone For This Useful Post:
Nachons (02-22-13), rslewis96 (01-21-13)
Old 01-17-13, 07:38 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,098 Times in 794 Posts
Electra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of light

I use ritalin.
Other meds could never compair.
I use fish oil in addition,but not sure if there are any effect or not.
I recommend to visualise things in pictures to remember them,
and to repeat them a lot of times till they stick,
and then question your self to prove that they did.
rslewis96 (01-21-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-13, 05:23 AM
ADDvanced Wookiee ADDvocate

Thanked 6,178 Times in 2,899 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Something to keep in mind:

I have a friend with a degree in electrical engineering. He went to RIT, certainly as challenging a school as any. He grew up with a father who was very active in his life and was also quite competent in electronics theory. My friend always had acceptable math scores in high school, so there is no LD issue. Most importantly, my friend doesn't even have ADHD to throw a wrench in the works.

I mention this friend because he failed calculus three times on his way to a degree. There's no need to beat yourself up. There's no reason to even think that the ADHD is at fault for your struggles. It just happens to be a difficult subject.

Try to find a different way to study. Make use of your tutors. Give yourself practice tests. Take advantage of office hours. Check out some books/videos. Find a study buddy. Try some of the tutorials at the Khan Academy website. Whatever you do, don't give up. You'll get there even if you fail three times along the way... as long as it is what you want and you don't give up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
rslewis96 (01-21-13)
Old 01-19-13, 06:52 PM

zacker008 is on a distinguished road

I'm studying mechanical engineering, and what though my everwandering nonstop thinking is very fustrating, short bursts of concentrating help(right after a break) or sometimes tricking your brain so you get all wired about your studying. Trying to explain myself but not sure if I'm helping.

With calculus though, the trick is to have amazing basics, know the notation(sounds stupid but is very important) very well and keep it organized. Once you master this, learn it step by step, first just copy down a worked example, and try to relate it to the theory behind it, and slowly work your way. If you understand what you are reading(after all it is like a language) you will understand the theory and you will probably understand the problem.(this last step requires more practice than anything)

Just dont give up, and even though its fustrating give it your best shot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zacker008 For This Useful Post:
dasikins (02-21-13), rslewis96 (01-21-13)
Old 02-19-13, 04:11 AM

jsptrs is on a distinguished road

Don't give up! I returned to college after a long absence to study mechanical engineering. Had to take two years of math to work up to calculus, including having to repeat advanced algebra, and barely passed trig. Calculus 1 put me in therapy, and led to my ADHD diagnosis. With ritalin and coaching, I actually got a B on the final and passed with a C. I'm still struggling, first Calc 2 exam is tomorrow. I spend most of my time studying math, it just doesn't come easily. I find that the most important thing for me is to put in the work. It can take me over an hour to solve an integral sometimes, and then have no idea how I did it. I just have to go back and work through it again. The other thing is memorization. I've got to keep reviewing limit laws, derivatives, trig identities, the unit circle, and integrals to make sure I don't forget. I keep a stack of about a hundred flash cards with me, and try to run through them all a few times a day. After working through all the homework 2-3 times, it's starting to make sense. I'm not really confident about my readiness for the test tomorrow, but I am going to give it my best shot.
Old 02-19-13, 03:04 PM

Aliuar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslewis96 View Post
Hello! I am a college student at IUPUI and I need advice. I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was about five and started taking Ritalin immediately; however, my mother didn't like the effects it had on me so about a year or two later I stopped taking it, I now taking fish oil, L-tyrosine, ginkgo biloba, and a multivitamin instead. I am currently twenty-three and trying to study Electrical Engineering and Physics at IUPUI;however, the Engineering and Physics at IUPUI is calculus based and this is my second semester trying to take Calculus I. I failed the first time through and do not want to repeat my mistake. I am trying to study my brains out, yet I feel like I am not grasping the material well enough. Anyone who has had experience with this sort of issue please tell me what you did. Thanks!

Ryan
I admire you for your efforts, and the fact is, you can do this.

The thing about math, is that everything builds up everything. It used to be that people would become experts in Euclid, and then go into deeper subjects. The way school is taught today, we often lose out on the insights that help us see the connections between concepts.

Many great minds struggled on problems in Math, and I think that it is unfair sometimes the way math is taught. You might benefit by buying a few books or courses, that help go back over algebra and the basics, and make sure you are comfortable with graphs and most importantly, you feel confident that you can do everything that came prior to Calculus.

This is a little bit of my own theory or thought on Math, but the way I math is like this. When you want to understand something, you try to break it up into the smallest parts. People probably looked around them in the world, and saw patterns. These patterns motivated a thought process that most likely is a bit uncomfortable for many people.

First, the concepts of geometry start off with the ideas that we must assume, and then from those assumptions, we see what follows, often it requires some insight, but generally speaking we strictly build upon those assumptions by making statements we can prove. I was surprised, that I had never really learned Euclid, and it really affected my understanding of the higher level ideas.

I don't know if this will help you, but get as comfortable with geometry as possible. Did you know, that in the book journey to genius, it goes over a 2000 year old proof, that shows how a rectangle can be converted into a square? You can do this mechanically without a problem with this proof. But yet there is no "calculation" in the sense that there is no algebra or symbolic minpulation. Yet there is no formula for finding the square root of a number, does this strike you as odd? Yet we can mechanically do it.

So I want you to think about the role that symbols play - such as numbers, and think about how algebra is yet a way of stepping back from numbers one level.

And when you get into Calculus, think about even going one step back further, its a lot of symbolic stuff, but it gives you power over problems that you don't have all the answers to.

Anyway I hope I din't confuse you too much with my rambling. Regardless, get some study guides and see what happens. I know that you can succeed.

Newton did his proofs for Calculus in geometry, if you get the Principia, I recommend newton's classic book.
Old 02-21-13, 05:11 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

dasikins is just really nicedasikins is just really nicedasikins is just really nicedasikins is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslewis96 View Post
Hello! I am a college student at IUPUI and I need advice. I am trying to study my brains out, yet I feel like I am not grasping the material well enough. Anyone who has had experience with this sort of issue please tell me what you did. Thanks!

Ryan
I am a Chemical Engineer so I can relate somewhat. You have already been given great advice so I won't repeat it.

Just remember any engineering major is hard. Very FEW people are able to just simply grasp the complicated concepts behind the material you will encounter.

I made decent grades, but had to work triple the amount my friends did. Like you, I had trouble reading, paying any attention in class, picking apart the concepts and figuring out what was important, sitting still, day dreaming, all of it. I ended up getting a D on my Reactions midterm. I decided to drop the class and retake it later.

The next semester I got a tutor, befriended some people, talked with my professor a lot, and made that my priority. I didn't get an A, but I passed.

Keep at it-where there is will there is a way shown by many comments above! Hang in there!

(RX): Pristiq 50mg, Vyvanse 50 mg, Trazadone (when needed)

"No. Just the butter"
Old 02-21-13, 05:17 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

dasikins is just really nicedasikins is just really nicedasikins is just really nicedasikins is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacker008 View Post

With calculus though, the trick is to have amazing basics, know the notation(sounds stupid but is very important) very well and keep it organized. Once you master this, learn it step by step, first just copy down a worked example, and try to relate it to the theory behind it, and slowly work your way.
Just dont give up, and even though its fustrating give it your best shot.
I would listen to this whole heartily. Focus on the basics with calculus and all mathematics. Once you understand the basic principles you will be able to solve any problems.

I don't necessarily agree with the the theories being as helpful, but maybe I misunderstood. Theories of mathamatics are high level mathematics not calculus based. But learn the BASICS-you will start deriving equations that relate to your field of study (well at least we did.)

(RX): Pristiq 50mg, Vyvanse 50 mg, Trazadone (when needed)

"No. Just the butter"
Old 02-22-13, 01:58 AM
ADDvanced Member

Nachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to all

I find that calculus is something that most people take until they get a teacher that can teach it.

I failed it my first time and got an A the second time. The first professor was an old lady who just read out of the book and gave us exercises to do during class. The second professor was this Australian dude who had dreadlocks, wore sandals, and would crack jokes during lecture and make everything completely obvious once he explained it.

If you can just get your foot in the door then most of the rest of calculus falls into place.

That was before I was using any ADHD meds too! Of course that meant that I hardly ever studied for the class. But he was such a good teacher that I didn't really need to. Now I'm doing upper level math and physics and I'm so glad I've got something to help me actually spend those hours needed working through problems to get a grip on the concepts

If it's possible then I'd say you should try medication again.
Old 02-26-13, 01:26 AM

pseudoSequence is on a distinguished road

rslewis,

I have had the same problem. I tired 3 times to pass Calc 1, 2 times for Physics 1, failed calc 2 the first time I took it. etc. etc. Even though I studded my brains out, I still got horrible grades, however I also have APD, and dyslexia on top of the ADD.

It annoyed me that I got stuck on the intro classes, when all of the higher level classes, that I was taking along side of the intro classes, gave me no problems.

I finally decided that Electrical Engineering was not worth the stress, and fustration, and I switched to buisness administration (more along the lines of what I want to do when I get out of college anyways)

Moral of the story, Consider all of your options. If you think that it is worth it, stick with EE. You will get out of it, what you put into it. Just remember it may take more time to get the concepts to stick.

The times that I passed Calc and Physics, I saw a tutor, that specialized in teaching people with learning disabilities. It really helped, maybe there is something around you that does calc and physics tutoring for people with learning disabilities. If not try wyzant, I never had too much luck with them, but it is definitely worth a shot.
Old 02-26-13, 05:03 AM

mrrothadder is on a distinguished road

I failed calculus 2 two times and calculus 1 once... It hard but then my major di dnot require calculus 2..

I would still like to one day pass calculus 2 and 3 and so on ....
But I work full time now...