ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-13, 09:12 AM
Jr Member

Yelinm is on a distinguished road
Intrusive Sleep

Does anybody here experience intrusive sleep?:
Quote:
Asleep on Your Feet

One theory holds that when some ADHD adults become disinterested or bored with something, their normal hyperfocus switch abruptly turns off. Their nervous system disengages so they become extremely sleepy. They may even nod off into what is called “intrusive sleep,” a sleep that interrupts life when you least expect it.
Of course, the snooze-and-crash syndrome is especially dangerous if you happen to be driving when it occurs. Research shows that long-distance driving on straight, monotonous roads induces intrusive sleep.
If you've been diagnosed with this condition, it's important to plan ahead so you don't become a moving hazard. If you have a business trip that entails night driving, bring someone else along who can take over the wheel when the sun goes down. If you're planning a family vacation on the road, consider arranging the itinerary so you can do most of the driving during the day, or let your wife do the driving at night.
http://www.netplaces.com/adult-add-a...uate-sleep.htm
Quote:
4. Intrusive Sleep
Paul Wender, M.D., a 30-year veteran ADHD researcher, relates ADHD to interest-based performance. As long as persons with ADHD were interested in or challenged by what they were doing, they did not demonstrate symptoms of the disorder. (This phenomenon is called hyperfocus by some, and is often considered to be an ADHD pattern.) If, on the other hand, an individual with ADHD loses interest in an activity, his nervous system disengages, in search of something more interesting. Sometimes this disengagement is so abrupt as to induce sudden extreme drowsiness, even to the point of falling asleep.
Marian Sigurdson, Ph.D., an expert on electroencephalography (EEG) findings in ADHD, reports that brain wave tracings at this time show a sudden intrusion of theta waves into the alpha and beta rhythms of alertness. We all have seen "theta wave intrusion," in the student in the back of the classroom who suddenly crashes to the floor, having "fallen asleep." This was probably someone with ADHD who was losing consciousness due to boredom rather than falling asleep. This syndrome is life-threatening if it occurs while driving, and it is often induced by long-distance driving on straight, monotonous roads. Often this condition is misdiagnosed as "EEG negative narcolepsy." The extent of incidence of intrusive "sleep" is not known, because it occurs only under certain conditions that are hard to reproduce in a laboratory.
http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/757.html

If you have experienced something like this, how do you experience it?

And does anybody have an article, scientific paper, research, books,...etc., anything else on "intrusive sleep"?
That's all I could find on this issue.

I'm asking since I think I have this or at least something very similar and it can get embarassing. I get extremely sleepy and almost or really can't keep my eyes open at all when I'm bored, say, when reading something I don't like, listening to a lecture or sitting in classes I don't like...etc. It doesn't matter which time of the day it is, it only happens when I get bored. As soon as I find something interesting in my environment, I'm wide awake again.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yelinm For This Useful Post:
dresser (01-21-13), Fuzzy12 (01-21-13), GeordieDave (01-21-13), mrs. dobbs (01-22-13)
Old 01-21-13, 09:16 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

GeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to behold
Re: Intrusive Sleep

Yeah I agree with you 100%. I get thsi everyday at work. If I coudl I would just close my eyes and pass out. but then a friend will come and have a chat and I'm suddenly wide awake again. I even get this whilst at home if I have nothing to do, i would be wide awake then be bored and I will just switch off. Thanks for sharing these, I might have a read through it all.
Old 01-21-13, 09:35 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,278 Times in 13,952 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, all the time. The moment my brain runs out of stimulation, I feel extremely sleepy. I used to drive long distances for work and then it was a real problem. Traffic jams are a huge problem for me because they make me so sleepy. I'm a horrible person to travel with because the moment I sit in a car, train or coach, I fall asleep.

I also can't keep my eyes open in lectures or seminars, no matter how hard I try. Day dreaming helps but that means I can't listen to the seminar either. The moment, I stop day dreaming though, I feel sleepy.

Sometimes taking notes or asking questions helps too but nothing helps consistently. It's really embarrassing at times.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-13, 11:09 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

GeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to behold

Yup I agree, I feel a sleep during training last week and I keep my mouth open and snore when I fall a sleep so it is very embarrising. Especially when i travel lol!

I fell a sleep during training last week, i was wide awake then it's like if someone drugged me and i passed out haha
Old 01-21-13, 12:56 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Sometimes taking notes or asking questions helps too but nothing helps consistently. It's really embarrassing at times.
Exactly. It is embarassing....

Metaphorically, it's a bit like turning off a PC and then it suddenly restarts again. Or like turning a switch on and off, it's that instantaneous.
Old 01-21-13, 01:27 PM
Contributor

damnthedoodle is a jewel in the roughdamnthedoodle is a jewel in the roughdamnthedoodle is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, this is terrible and happens to me often. My family (and in-laws) pokes fun at me for this too - I cannot stay awake when I'm a passenger in a car, even for short trips (unless someone is talking to me or I'm otherwise engaged). I used to fall asleep when driving. When I sit down to feed my baby girl a bottle, I drift off at least 50% of the time (it only takes her two minutes to finish a bottle...).

I have fallen asleep at work as well, multiple times =\ only got caught once though haha

Sleep disorders are often comorbid with ADHD and I happen to have obstructive sleep apnea which greatly amplified this problem, but I still experience this on a regular basis even after my apnea was treated. If you suspect you have apnea I would look into it, untreated sleep apnea is worse than smoking two packs/day and I personally feel much better after being treated. I would concentrate on fixing any sleep issues you might have; quality sleep is very important for good mental health.
Old 01-21-13, 01:29 PM
Forum ADDvocate

MellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelinm View Post
Does anybody here experience intrusive sleep?:
http://www.netplaces.com/adult-add-a...uate-sleep.htm
http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/757.html

If you have experienced something like this, how do you experience it?

And does anybody have an article, scientific paper, research, books,...etc., anything else on "intrusive sleep"?
That's all I could find on this issue.

I'm asking since I think I have this or at least something very similar and it can get embarassing. I get extremely sleepy and almost or really can't keep my eyes open at all when I'm bored, say, when reading something I don't like, listening to a lecture or sitting in classes I don't like...etc. It doesn't matter which time of the day it is, it only happens when I get bored. As soon as I find something interesting in my environment, I'm wide awake again.
My ex used to say that I was like a bumble bee - was either BUZZZZZZZing around (hyperfocused) or ZZzzzzzzing (bored/sleepy). There was no in-between.
The Following User Says Thank You to MellyFishButt For This Useful Post:
dresser (01-21-13)
Old 01-21-13, 01:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

"Sleeping in late on Sunday and getting up early on Monday morning will create the equivalent of jet lag in your body, and is likely to leave you feeling groggy and unable to concentrate. To wake up feeling alert during the work week, get up on weekends at the same time you get up for work."

If this is true, I now know why Monday I feel the way I am. I just nearly lost my temper with some arsehole on the phone. Arrogante prick I swear down if he lived near me I would hunt the ****er down.
Old 01-21-13, 02:25 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

dresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud of

I think fear this to show to much was in a bad accident 11yr old never trusted others driveing very select few then id nod of and never on the job too scared of getting flak could never speake for self all thaughts,words,etc,etc, would go around in my head like the Indy 500 with no track to my mouth but at home yes i can see it now" I say gonna lay down dont know why Im so tired " mmmmmm now i do its not real tired its bordem tired I can work at pushin through that and get things done.
Old 01-21-13, 05:46 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnthedoodle View Post
Sleep disorders are often comorbid with ADHD and I happen to have obstructive sleep apnea which greatly amplified this problem, but I still experience this on a regular basis even after my apnea was treated. If you suspect you have apnea I would look into it, untreated sleep apnea is worse than smoking two packs/day and I personally feel much better after being treated. I would concentrate on fixing any sleep issues you might have; quality sleep is very important for good mental health.
That's true.
I had an overall tiredness and drowsiness before but also other fatigue related issues. Turned out I had developed anemia. After following a proper diet, the symptoms dissappeared. But that nodding off while bored reaction, it never went away...
Old 01-21-13, 06:26 PM
Contributor

Phoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to behold

Me too... on both the boredom-induced sleepiness and the anemia. Man, I used to fall asleep while driving to work all the time. I remember waking up at 70 mph in the fast lane with no memory of how I got there.

Thank god for those bumps they put along the side of the road to alert you if you're drifting... they saved my life more than once. I called it "driving by braille."

It's a miracle I'm still alive.

It took ten years, but my doctor finally identified and solved the anemia problem with iron. That solved the driving issue and helped enormously with my fatigue. But the boredom was still a problem for a long time. It's not as bad as it used to be, but I think that's mostly because I've changed my life so much that I rarely run into that terminal boredom anymore.

Back when I was stuck in a cubicle farm, there was this regular two-hour meeting I had to attend every Wednesday and it always bored the living daylights out of me and I had to fight off sleep constantly. It didn't help that it was right after lunch. There were only about 8 of us sitting around a conference table, and my input was never required (don't ask me why I had to be there, it was stupid) but I am quite sure they must have noticed my head lolling and jerking back up again a lot. I would even be aware it was happening and have no power to stop it. Trying with all my might to stay awake, pinching myself, biting my lip or the inside of my cheek, chugging as much caffeine as I could carry into the room with me... and still falling asleep. Embarrassing...

Man, I'm glad I don't work there anymore!!!

Rx: Dextroamphetamine IR for ADD-PI.

Currently on a trial of Chlorpheniramine for depression & anxiety. So far so good.

Formerly on Wellbutrin, Prozac, and various forms of
Ritalin, Adderall, Vyvanse
Old 01-21-13, 08:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,909 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

I sometimes feel like it. I passed out at dinner with family and friends once but I think it was a hypoglycaemic reaction.

But I get so understimulated that I just feel like I could sleep.
Old 01-21-13, 10:07 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,967 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

I have had something like this a few times but believed (and still do believe) that in my case it was sleep deprivation pure and simple, not tied to any syndrome. I have never had anything like this when I have slept acceptably well (UNacceptable for me being less than 4 hours).
Old 01-21-13, 10:30 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

lalapin is a glorious beacon of lightlalapin is a glorious beacon of lightlalapin is a glorious beacon of lightlalapin is a glorious beacon of lightlalapin is a glorious beacon of lightlalapin is a glorious beacon of light

That sleepiness used to happen at work before I got medicated (call center). I didn't want to sleep necessarily but I started to feel extremely tired/bored/restless/unwell and as soon as I got out I felt energetic again... It's weird i know!
Old 01-22-13, 11:06 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Ash View Post
It took ten years, but my doctor finally identified and solved the anemia problem with iron. That solved the driving issue and helped enormously with my fatigue. But the boredom was still a problem for a long time. It's not as bad as it used to be, but I think that's mostly because I've changed my life so much that I rarely run into that terminal boredom anymore.
Interesting. That's really good if you don't run into such situations that often anymore.