ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-13, 10:12 AM

Marcus365 is on a distinguished road
How do I know the meds are working?

I've been on Strattera for about a week now. My first meds in years. I'm not sure if I see any improvemnt. I guess I see a little, but how do I really tell if its working?
Old 01-31-13, 11:35 AM
Forum ADDvocate

MellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of light
Re: How do I know the meds are working?

I think it takes 3-6 weeks but everybody is different. You'll know when you start a project and finish it. Or in my case, work on something and not curse it the entire time.

...DX: ADHD-C, GAD, Major Depression, PD
...RX: Adderall XR, Lexapro, Valium, Vit D, Fish Oil, MultiVit, Vit B
Old 01-31-13, 11:38 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,956 Times in 9,009 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Your clue is that you now can do the things you need (or want) to do. With ADHD untreated, some things (keeping your stuff organized, getting your work done, and listening when someone else talks to you, for three obvious examples) seem pretty much impossible - or you can do them for a short burst and then have to give up because you got overwhelmed. Medication is supposed to make you able to do those things more consistently and without becoming overwhelmed by them.

What it does not do (to my disappointment I can tell you) is make you want to do the right things. You still supply the "willpower" - which has always been a terrible sickening word to me, because I thought I didn't have any. But now, when you really decide to go through with something, you are supposed to be able to actually do it.

I have developed over many years the following sequence:
- Wanting to get something done (for instance, to clean up the books & papers thrown all over my room, some of which have been there for years)

- Look at the job, and give up before I start; I know I'm going to fail, because I always fail, so why even try.

Medication does not help with my second step. Medication cannot prevent me from giving up - that's my business, the drug doesn't care. So I have to remind myself that now when I want to get something done I can do it, and not to give up.

I believe this is one of the reasons that medication's good effects are so obvious in schools - in school, someone is there telling you what to do, and now you are able to get it done, and it's that simple. As an adult left with your own choice, you are still permitted to do the wrong thing, or nothing, if you choose.

There are many ways to do it, but I believe every person starting this medication needs to take the time (each day, each week, whatever) to decide "What things do I most need to get done and when am I going to do them?" There are all kinds of books, courses, advice - if you need some of that, take your pick. There is a thread going on right now concerning a book called "The Now Habit" - maybe you could jump on board with that, if it interests you.

The medication makes your motor run better and stops it from dying on the road. But you still have to put it in gear, and steer.

Hope there was something you wanted, in there...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
BlueCollarBelle (01-31-13), CaptainADD (01-31-13), MellyFishButt (01-31-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-13, 11:44 AM
Jr Member

CaptainADD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
Your clue is that you now can do the things you need (or want) to do. With ADHD untreated, some things (keeping your stuff organized, getting your work done, and listening when someone else talks to you, for three obvious examples) seem pretty much impossible - or you can do them for a short burst and then have to give up because you got overwhelmed. Medication is supposed to make you able to do those things more consistently and without becoming overwhelmed by them.

What it does not do (to my disappointment I can tell you) is make you want to do the right things. You still supply the "willpower" - which has always been a terrible sickening word to me, because I thought I didn't have any. But now, when you really decide to go through with something, you are supposed to be able to actually do it.

I have developed over many years the following sequence:
- Wanting to get something done (for instance, to clean up the books & papers thrown all over my room, some of which have been there for years)

- Look at the job, and give up before I start; I know I'm going to fail, because I always fail, so why even try.

Medication does not help with my second step. Medication cannot prevent me from giving up - that's my business, the drug doesn't care. So I have to remind myself that now when I want to get something done I can do it, and not to give up.

I believe this is one of the reasons that medication's good effects are so obvious in schools - in school, someone is there telling you what to do, and now you are able to get it done, and it's that simple. As an adult left with your own choice, you are still permitted to do the wrong thing, or nothing, if you choose.

There are many ways to do it, but I believe every person starting this medication needs to take the time (each day, each week, whatever) to decide "What things do I most need to get done and when am I going to do them?" There are all kinds of books, courses, advice - if you need some of that, take your pick. There is a thread going on right now concerning a book called "The Now Habit" - maybe you could jump on board with that, if it interests you.

The medication makes your motor run better and stops it from dying on the road. But you still have to put it in gear, and steer.

Hope there was something you wanted, in there...
I'm newly diagnosed and new to this forum but I have to say this post is the most personally profound piece of writing I've found on the subject so far. I've yet to start medication but i will be sure to keep this bit of wisdom in the forefront of my mind when i do.
Old 01-31-13, 11:50 AM
Forum ADDvocate

MellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of light

About will power, so true. You can and will still procrastinate. But when you pick up whatever you need to do your brain will reward you with 'good job! This isn't so bad, right?' encouragement.

On the flip, if you feel compelled to do a bunch of stuff you're probably on too much...(damnit)

...DX: ADHD-C, GAD, Major Depression, PD
...RX: Adderall XR, Lexapro, Valium, Vit D, Fish Oil, MultiVit, Vit B
The Following User Says Thank You to MellyFishButt For This Useful Post:
CaptainADD (01-31-13)
Old 01-31-13, 11:58 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,956 Times in 9,009 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Just had this little image come to mind:

If you rent a moving truck for one day, you better have the boxes packed; otherwise you wasted the rental fee.

If you take this medication, you better have a to-do list; otherwise you wasted the advantage.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
CaptainADD (01-31-13), MellyFishButt (01-31-13)