ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-13, 04:44 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,492 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute
Why is it easier to clean/organize at work or someone else's place than your own?

Anybody find this? I can be at somebody else's house or at work, look around and pick up on things that need doing and do them, but at home it's a completely different story. More than once I have been sweeping and mopping the floor at work and a customer will say to me, "Boy, I could use you at home." Then I say (or think, depending on the day), "Never mind that, I could use me at home." Because despite my best intentions, when I get home, nothing gets done and I'm picking my way over piles & messes all the time.

What's up with that?
ana futura (02-06-13), Jeweller (02-06-13), salleh (02-07-13), speculative (02-06-13), ysabeau (02-06-13), zaleladra (02-06-13)
Old 02-06-13, 04:51 AM
The Social Committee LIVES

Thanked 17,719 Times in 8,884 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is it easier to clean/organize at work or someone else's place than your own?

Easier to organise at work?

You're kidding right?

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
salleh (02-07-13)
Old 02-06-13, 05:18 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,952 Times in 9,009 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is it easier to clean/organize at work or someone else's place than your own?

Items that don't belong to me, and aren't in my own space, and which nobody cares if I do anything about them or not, don't have any emotional pain chaining them down.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
ashnephi (02-06-13), salleh (02-07-13), spunkysmum (02-06-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-13, 05:28 AM

Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,492 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
Items that don't belong to me, and aren't in my own space, and which nobody cares if I do anything about them or not, don't have any emotional pain chaining them down.
That's a good point. Certainly if any trace of a hoarding instinct is present, that would certainly be one good reason for the difference. Though when cleaning somebody else's space, I always give them the same respect I would want somebody else to give me. I throw away nothing without asking first, never presuming to decide for somebody else what constitutes garbage for them. I don't read anything that looks like it might be personal and I am careful in my handling of things.
salleh (02-07-13)
Old 02-06-13, 06:03 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,902 Times in 13,075 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I am so glad you brought this up. This has always been the case for me, even with friends that had sh*t all over the place and a sink full of dishes and stacks everywhere. I hate doing any of that in my own house, but I just dont mind it at theirs. My mom used to hate this, My BFF's house was always a mess and her mom was very disorganized but sweet as pie. Many a saturday I would sleep over and help her out with her daughter. This drove my mom crazy because she and I both couldnt understand why it seemed like I cared more about their environment than my own. I still dont get it.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
salleh (02-07-13), spunkysmum (02-06-13)
Old 02-06-13, 06:06 AM
Mr. BllVt

dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but not just hoarding or hoarding-like thoughts - someone else's messy room is just a messy room, while my messy room is item number 9348560 on an evil to-do list.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (02-06-13), salleh (02-07-13), VeryTired (02-06-13)
Old 02-06-13, 01:50 PM

mildadhd has disabled reputation

I have similar experience.

I think it has to do with the circumstances of the relationship.

When I work for someone else I always get more done.

Less decisions to make.

Less decisions = Less impulsive decisions

Specific task decided mostly by the other person in the job relationship.

(and I decide the order and do the job for them)

The guidance from someone else besides me. (relationship between two)(accommodations)

(in regards to that specific job)

My mind still has many other impulsive inner thoughts,

that I end up over thinking,

if I get bored,

or don't enjoy the job.

I go from job to job,

but never have been fired (although I should have been a few times)(in the past, before diagnoses)

When I get going working physical labor,

I can't stop.

Under these circumstances,

I am very efficient,

and make the other person in the "job relationship" lots of money.

The bad thing is when I can't stop,

I burn out physically and mentally,

when I get home after work

I would be to tired,

to take my son to the park,

or go get good food, etc.

I do less physical labor now,

but the situation remain the same,

even with more executive type work,

the experience seems to be the same.

So I think it is being in a relationship,

that makes the biggest difference.(but not the only)

between working for myself,

verses

working for someone else.

Great thread/posts!

Last edited by mildadhd; 02-06-13 at 02:05 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
salleh (02-07-13)
Old 02-06-13, 04:14 PM

t o m c a t is on a distinguished road

Because when I'm home, I'm in MY world, and that world is a mess and disorganized, and it overwhelms me...When I'm working, or when I have worked in the past, I'm in THEIR world, and that world is "normal" and ordered. Also, at home, I can screw around and I don't have to answer to anyone, but at work, I have to keep on task, or face the wrath of the boss.
Old 02-06-13, 05:39 PM
Mr. BllVt

Quote:
Originally Posted by t o m c a t View Post
Because when I'm home, I'm in MY world, and that world is a mess and disorganized, and it overwhelms me...When I'm working, or when I have worked in the past, I'm in THEIR world, and that world is "normal" and ordered.
Hmm. Yes. That makes sense to me. The distance from "minor disorder" to "order" is easier to get across, requiring less planning and foresight.

Also I am not good at figuring out how long some job is going to take.
Old 02-06-13, 05:51 PM

Thanked 2,996 Times in 1,531 Posts
SquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond repute

Can┤t do it in my own house, can┤t do it at work or anyone else┤s house either.
The Following User Says Thank You to SquarePeg For This Useful Post:
salleh (02-07-13)
Old 02-06-13, 06:33 PM
Mr. BllVt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquarePeg View Post
Can┤t do it in my own house, can┤t do it at work or anyone else┤s house either.
Well, you're consistent.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
salleh (02-07-13)
Old 02-06-13, 06:39 PM
ADDvanced Member

seraphynx has a spectacular aura aboutseraphynx has a spectacular aura about

At the core: less distractions. There's a few areas though.

1) There are things in your own house that will get you off track, whereas in others houses, you can simply do fundamental tasks (sweep, vacuum, dust, etc) but cannot organize, file, relocate, or otherwise alter stuff w/o asking.

2) In your own environment, you learn to live with messes, piles, items that are in the way, etc. If it sits there for X amount of time, everyone (even most NTs) will just accept it instead of attempting to move it. Kinda fascinating in a way.

3) Have also noticed when I clean at other's houses, I notice things with a lot more detail than I do at my house. It's like my brain hasn't learned to 'tune out' the dust, dog fur, etc, because I do not physically see that environment every day. So things that can be overlooked or not noticed by the person living there may be obvious to others.

For a temporary time, (like if I have guests coming over) I can put those 'scrutinizing glasses' on in my own house, but I have to be careful because it is incredibly overwhelming and a bit stressful to realize hundreds of things that need to be done at once.
salleh (02-07-13)
Old 02-06-13, 07:24 PM

ysabeau is a jewel in the roughysabeau is a jewel in the roughysabeau is a jewel in the rough

My mother and I like to clean each others kitchens. Its hilarious. Nothing inflames that kind of domestic zeal more than another persons messy kitchen.
Old 02-06-13, 10:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

Jeweller is a jewel in the roughJeweller is a jewel in the roughJeweller is a jewel in the rough

hahaha so true.

Is it an ADD thing?
Old 02-06-13, 11:03 PM

mildadhd has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysabeau View Post
My mother and I like to clean each others kitchens. Its hilarious. Nothing inflames that kind of domestic zeal more than another persons messy kitchen.

Sounds like a great relationship!