ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 02-11-13, 03:10 PM
Jr Member

brandon7 is on a distinguished road
Not sure what's going on with my vyvanse

Alright, so last year i was diagnosed with ADD, im 17. I was prescribed 20mg Adderall XR, and it worked wonders.. until football started. During football i also started to smoke pot mainly so i could just eat and settle down,and it really ended up screwing with the effects. It had made me become very very depressed, have severe anxiety, but i thought smoking would actually help me, but the same thing happened to my father when he was a teenager, it gave him severe anxiety.

I stopped the adderall because of bad mood changes and i lost a lot of weight. From 185 before football, now i weigh 165. I started taking concerta, prescribed to 27mg, and again it seemed to work very well.. until after a week i felt like i was already growing a tolerance so i starting taking 2 doses of it, and drinking a coffee and i literally felt limitless, but i was a zombie, a long with still having severe depression and anxiety. I didn't know what to do. I missed 20 days of school in just the second qourter!

I got my dosage raised to 36mg, and the second day of it, i had a seizure and told my doctor im done with add medication. Then i finally got put on lexapro, which honestly, saved my life. But the problem is, i cannot think clearly or take in information. I am tired 99 percent of the time no matter what i do. So i went back last wednesday to my doctor, asking for a new medication for this, because school is so difficult without it, i have no motivation to do anything.

i got put on 20mg vyvanse ( not sure why so low, but probably a good idea) and the first day i took it, i worked out and drank my protein shake, had unbelievable energy, focus, motivation.. i felt like bradley cooper in limitless lol. I really thought this would be a miracle drug. Next day in school, it seemed to work very well, i was yawning and pretty tired, but i was able to take in great amounts of information easily and think clearly. I was so talkative and in an amazing mood.

On friday, i thought that since the dose was so low, id try doubling it, to see if i wouldn't be tired. Im not sure what happened, but i was a lot more quiet. I didn't feel all that great either. By 7pm that night i was hanging with my friends, and i was so tired i almost fell asleep at his house (crashing).. so i decided to go home, shower, and take another vyvanse, and i felt incredible that night. Just in a great mood. That was 60mg total that day, and i know that there was still some in my body from the morning.

So the next day (saturday now), i thought, maybe my body needs the higher dose.. and i ended up taking a total of 3 20mg, and i went to go do some business things with my dad (owns a large company, and teaching my to run it), and i took in so much information that day it was unbelievable. I was more like a zombie, but retained all the information i was watching/listening to. I ended up getting quite tired later on, and i drank that night too with some friends. I had a couple mixed drinks, just socially drinking. I felt fine too.

Sunday, was the worst experience i have had. I once again took 3 20mg that day, and i was trying to do some homework.. but then my folks said we were goin to the hockey game, so i figured it'd still be high in effect by time i get home. Well.. I drank a diet coke at the game to hope it would keep me from crashing ( Around 3-4 hours after i took the vyv) and my heart started racing, i felt like i couldn't breathe, my anxiety was going through the roof.. i couldn't sleep at all but 40 minutes last night.

So i decided to stay at the one a day 20mg this morning, but i brought 2 pills with me to school incase i was feeling like i had to fall asleep. Well i felt great in school, and 4th period came around and i had a unexpected test, so i kindof panicked and took another ( i was planning on taking another by around noon anyway, because my last period class is math, and i need to start doing good in it. I forgot to mention, i seemed to start losing my effects on the days i only took 20mg once in the morning before math).

Well i felt pretty good, i started feeling pretty tired though by the end of the day which confused me. So i ended up taking the other one in my pocket before class. I ended up falling asleep in the class, and now im at home and my eyes are so heavy, yet i just took a dose 2 hours ago. I only ate a bagel this morning, and thats all. i take it with just water. i also dip tobacco a lot, if that means anything haha. So what's going on???

Sorry i added so much, but i just needed to address my full story. I've never had lethargy throughout the day before this year. I used to workout almost every day, but i broke my wrist in football, so i have a cast on and i cant do much, so that and my supplements probably gave me a lot of energy. Is the medicine working, and im just messing it up by trying higher dosages? I need it for the energy, and just clear thought. Dont recommend adderall, because i couldn't stand the jitters on it and weight loss. I feel like my depression is coming back too because im just tired. Last night, and today i've thought that. What should i do?

Last edited by Fortune; 02-11-13 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: added paragraphs
Old 02-11-13, 04:17 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,758 Times in 5,955 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Not sure what's going on with my vyvanse

OK, this is what's called "abusing your medication". Stop and think for a minute. Well, two minutes.

You need regular normal sleep (no catch-up sleeping, no sleeping on your own schedule, you have to sleep like a normal person for this to work).

You took way too much vyvanse - especially never take it late afternoon or evening. You are supposed to take exactly one, every day. Two per day, one AM and one at noon, is the absolute emergency maximum. It is not a special occasion drug where you can pop one for studying, it's an every day drug to make you not f**ked up by ADD. If you are not f**ked up then you don't have ADD and you don't need Vyvanse at all.

Quit all caffeine

Quit all pot

One drink is OK but getting drunk is not

Force yourself to eat healthy food

You need a lot of extra water

And stop screwing around with serious medication. This is not candy. Wake up.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
starry (02-11-13)
Old 02-11-13, 04:34 PM

dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't your doctor tell you how to take this?
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
starry (02-11-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-13, 04:37 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
OK, this is what's called "abusing your medication". Stop and think for a minute. Well, two minutes.

You need regular normal sleep (no catch-up sleeping, no sleeping on your own schedule, you have to sleep like a normal person for this to work).

You took way too much vyvanse - especially never take it late afternoon or evening. You are supposed to take exactly one, every day. Two per day, one AM and one at noon, is the absolute emergency maximum. It is not a special occasion drug where you can pop one for studying, it's an every day drug to make you not f**ked up by ADD. If you are not f**ked up then you don't have ADD and you don't need Vyvanse at all.

Quit all caffeine

Quit all pot

One drink is OK but getting drunk is not

Force yourself to eat healthy food

You need a lot of extra water

And stop screwing around with serious medication. This is not candy. Wake up.
I haven't smoked pot in awhile. I did it to only relieve some stress and anxiety, but i quickly found out it didn't do anything for me. I barely drink caffeine, i just tried a diet coke. I used to drink coffee, but i knew it was a bad idea to do on vyvanse so i didn't try. I only had a couple drinks, as in 2. And it took me 3 hours to even finish, so i wasn't getting drunk. I didn't know it was bad to take other dosages through out the day, because i've heard people saying with the 20mg they have done the same thing. I wasn't trying to abuse this, i was trying to find a dose to work, and to tell my doctor i liked it. I apologize for coming off as abusing this, but i truly do need it in class or i will either fall asleep or daze off into space. I've never tried abusing meds to get a high or euphoria feeling, but just the urge to be productive. Everyone comments on their much higher dosages not doing much for them, so me only getting 20mg to start, i thought it was too low. My effects would ware off in the day, so i thought i needed a higher dose. I'm not very knowledged with vyvanse, or other add medications, that is why i posted everything truthfully asking for advice what to do.
Old 02-11-13, 04:40 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Didn't your doctor tell you how to take this?
Barely. She only told me to take once a day, and i could take another if it seems too low. She told me it was the safest and you can't really abuse it. So i jumped to conclusion
Old 02-11-13, 04:43 PM

Thanked 16,446 Times in 7,422 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

What you have done, and what you are doing with your medication is exactly why there is so much stigma attached to the treatment of adhd. This is why we all look like pill popping drug addicts because people like you play doctor with themselves and think "if one is good, 2 is better"

"I am feeling tired, let me take an extra"

"math is hard, open wide"

You are 17, you smoke pot, drink with friends, play around with your CII meds and you cant figure out why you have the side effects or ups and downs? YOUR BODY IS GOING 6 DIFFERENT WAYS ALL AT ONCE! You will experience fatigue with higher doses, you will have a racing heart or anxiety. This is why the doctor told you to take 20 mg and not 40 or 60. He did tell you to play around with it and report back did he?

Do yourself a favor....Let your Dad handle your medication because clearly you are not able to.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
starry (02-11-13)
Old 02-11-13, 05:00 PM
Jr Member

Once again, i was not trying to abuse this medication like it came off! Im 17, and i smoked a little pot, never more than 10 times in my life.. and i havent in months. If you read carefully, i was just trying to see what worked with my body. I even told my doctor i've taken extra before. I don't abuse my medication. "i have math, open wide" No. On 20mg, by time my math class came around, i already lost most of my effects and i was unable to concentrate. I use this only for school, and clear thought. I was being honest, because i felt like i was doing something wrong myself, so i came to these forums asking for advice on how to use it best for my add, not recreationally. I didn't come here to be ripped apart. "I'm tired so ill take another" No, i can sleep 10+ hours, and still be tired throughout the day not wanting to do a thing. I'm not a highschool student who goes out to party all the timeand waste my life and mess my body up. I'm an athlete, who usually works out 5+ days a week. I eat extremely healthy also, because my trainers have set up diet plans for me. I usually eat only steak,fish,chicken,turkey, and a lot of carbs. I haven't even touched fast food since i was a kid.
Old 02-11-13, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon7 View Post
Once again, i was not trying to abuse this medication like it came off! Im 17, and i smoked a little pot, never more than 10 times in my life.. and i havent in months. If you read carefully, i was just trying to see what worked with my body. I even told my doctor i've taken extra before. I don't abuse my medication. "i have math, open wide" No. On 20mg, by time my math class came around, i already lost most of my effects and i was unable to concentrate. I use this only for school, and clear thought. I was being honest, because i felt like i was doing something wrong myself, so i came to these forums asking for advice on how to use it best for my add, not recreationally. I didn't come here to be ripped apart. "I'm tired so ill take another" No, i can sleep 10+ hours, and still be tired throughout the day not wanting to do a thing. I'm not a highschool student who goes out to party all the timeand waste my life and mess my body up. I'm an athlete, who usually works out 5+ days a week. I eat extremely healthy also, because my trainers have set up diet plans for me. I usually eat only steak,fish,chicken,turkey, and a lot of carbs. I haven't even touched fast food since i was a kid.
OK. Sorry to rip you - this is a big issue though.

You have to do exactly what the doctor said, exactly. If she said one or two, then your choices do not include zero, three, or any other number.
Old 02-11-13, 06:20 PM
Forum Guru

starry is a jewel in the roughstarry is a jewel in the roughstarry is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
what you have done, and what you are doing with your medication is exactly why there is so much stigma attached to the treatment of adhd. This is why we all look like pill popping drug addicts because people like you play doctor with themselves and think "if one is good, 2 is better"

"i am feeling tired, let me take an extra"

"math is hard, open wide"

Do yourself a favor....let your dad handle your medication because clearly you are not able to.
Amen to that.
If you only knew how much most of us have to suffer and deal with, because of people abusing these meds, you would probably think twice about the way you take them currently.
Not picking on you btw- I'm just frustrated because the recklessness out there, affects us all. Those of us who need these meds to function because we have ADHD. Even though we don't take our meds for recreational use, or to pass a test, or stay up all night to study, and even though we only take the dose for the day that we've been prescribed and never any more, we are still judged by our doctors, the medical industry, general public, pharmacies as addicts.

Last edited by starry; 02-11-13 at 06:36 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to starry For This Useful Post:
lalapin (03-04-13), sarahsweets (02-11-13)
Old 02-11-13, 07:05 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry View Post
Amen to that.
If you only knew how much most of us have to suffer and deal with, because of people abusing these meds, you would probably think twice about the way you take them currently.
Not picking on you btw- I'm just frustrated because the recklessness out there, affects us all. Those of us who need these meds to function because we have ADHD. Even though we don't take our meds for recreational use, or to pass a test, or stay up all night to study, and even though we only take the dose for the day that we've been prescribed and never any more, we are still judged by our doctors, the medical industry, general public, pharmacies as addicts.
*Sigh*. Cry me a river. My anxiety and depression was far worse than dealing with ADD. 2 days i acted dumb towards these meds. Today if anything was the only dumb thing i have done, because i didn't think it would matter. I came on here asking for advice how to use it, hoping id get a response about a good dose and vitamin/food intake to maintain the effects of just one, all day and to not be tired even when getting a good nights rest.But because I'm 17, thats means I'm a typical student trying to abuse my meds right? I gave my response already explaining my first post as coming off wrong. I use my vyvanse so i don't have my mind racing, and to be clear. Also hoping to get an energy boost. A total of 60mg i took a couple times. Ive seen posts of adults taking 70mg twice daily to not come down or be tired. Thanks for the comment though, you did nothing i asked. Maybe you should take some more vyvanse.
Old 02-11-13, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Barely. She only told me to take once a day, and i could take another if it seems too low. She told me it was the safest and you can't really abuse it. So i jumped to conclusion
OK, makes sense. The reason she said you can't really abuse it is that it is so boring and useless as a party drug. But you certainly can abuse it by taking too much. It won't help you any extra if you do that.

Vyvanse takes a long time to kick in, and lasts a really long time. You have to take it every day; best time is probably in the morning before you do anything else (before shower, before breakfast, before everything), so that when you get wherever you have to go that day it has had time to get digested.

What dosage did the doctor tell you to take?
Old 02-11-13, 07:53 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
OK, makes sense. The reason she said you can't really abuse it is that it is so boring and useless as a party drug. But you certainly can abuse it by taking too much. It won't help you any extra if you do that.

Vyvanse takes a long time to kick in, and lasts a really long time. You have to take it every day; best time is probably in the morning before you do anything else (before shower, before breakfast, before everything), so that when you get wherever you have to go that day it has had time to get digested.

What dosage did the doctor tell you to take?
Yeah i take it right when i wake up at 6am. She told me if i feel i need anything higher to take a second one and just watch how it effects me
Old 02-11-13, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Yeah i take it right when i wake up at 6am. She told me if i feel i need anything higher to take a second one and just watch how it effects me
Second one would be at noon. And never a third one, ever. Also don't skip any days, unless your doctor specifically told you "You should skip days". If skipping was just accidentally not mentioned, it means you never ever skip a day.
Old 02-12-13, 12:36 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Second one would be at noon. And never a third one, ever. Also don't skip any days, unless your doctor specifically told you "You should skip days". If skipping was just accidentally not mentioned, it means you never ever skip a day.
What if i replace that with a coffee or redbull? Im guessing it would be better for you than another amphetamine. Should i bring food to eat throughout the day in school? I heard food makes the vyvanse work much better if you eat during the day. I dont really lose my appetite either on it.
Old 02-12-13, 04:32 AM

Thanked 16,446 Times in 7,422 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Look Brandon, you can paint the situation whatever color you would like to, or offer any reasons you would like to about why you took more meds then prescribed but the fact remains that you did abuse it. Your description of how you chose to take the meds and why, sounds like an abusive pattern of behaviors and thoughts. You have to see things from our point of view considering every now and then someone similar to yourself pops up and says the same things....If I were to join a cancer forum and post a question just like yours but instead of stimulants they were opiates, do you think I would be met with understanding? If I described taking more of a pain med for reasons other than dealing with the pain of cancer and cancer treatments ,dont you think those that needed these controlled meds for functioning would be pis*sed too? Its not just stimulants that riles me up, its the abuse of any med especially a controlled substance. It makes it harder for people like me to receive unbiased treatment, and also those who suffer from Fibromyalgia, CFS,cancer,migraines,injurys,knee problems, post op surgery care, etc to receive unibiased treatment that will offer them some semblance of a life of quality.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?