ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 02-15-13, 07:43 PM

crystaldegreef is on a distinguished road
Adderall XR vs IR dosage

Hi,
I've been a reader of the forum for a few months and finally took the plunge in registering so this is my first post. I'm trying to understand the IR vs XR dosage equivalency and I've come up confused on google. Here's my situation:
IR: 10mg 2X daily (took for 1 month) It was wearing off way too fast, but while it was in my system it worked excellent. I felt calm, clear, and unruffled. I only had the side effect of low appetite and that is not an issue. But it wore off too soon.
I went back to the doctor and he decided to try XR for me.
XR: 20mg 1X in the morning. I was exhausted and agitated. I read that some people have a hard time handling the xr formulation and figured I must be in that category. I told the Dr and he decided to try me on Concerta.
Concerta: 2 days... lol... It was HELL. I was completely and utterly comatose and could not get off this crap fast enough. FINALLY my dr. listened to me and simply upped the dosage of the med that we KNEW was working while in my system.
IR: 15mg 2x daily (took for 4 mos) Perfect dosage. I had no crashes and felt normal. However, during the 4th month I noticed that I was starting to have the same issue I did back when I tried the 10mg and realized the dosage might need to be changed again.

Here is where I'm getting confused. Maybe I'm not understanding how it is released in a person's system, so any information would be great. I was thinking that 15mg 2x daily is the same as 15mg XR 1x daily since the release is different (ie. 15 ir releases at once and that is why you'd need a second dose to keep 15mg in your system whereas XR releases slower and lasts longer)... I went in to have the dosage fixed again and the dr. is putting me through the same crap again. Testing me out on new meds. I'm getting very frustrated since this med WORKS for me. I asked if he could even do something like 20mg in the morning and 15mg in the afternoon and he's pretty much refusing. He wrote me a prescription for 20mg and then gave me 10 extra pills and told me to cut them in half if I need one for the afternoon!! I've had this prescription for 3 days and OF COURSE it isn't working like that. The med wears off by 2-3pm and I can't go through the rest of my day in a fog.

First off, I'm not happy with the fact that even though I've asked my doctor several times WHY he doesn't want to give me that dosage he simply keeps bypassing my question and trying to push me to take other drugs. I've been left to try to guess why and it's frustrating. I figured if someone could help me out with any dosage information that might bring some light to this situation it was work registering and asking. If, in fact, I'm right about the dosage, does anyone have any links that might be helpful? Thank you so much for reading.
Old 02-16-13, 05:48 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,654 Times in 14,612 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall XR vs IR dosage

15 mg xr is the same as 15mg of IR but with the xr, half is released immediately, and the other half about 3-4 hours later. Alot of doctors mix this up surprisingly. I take n xr/ir combo which does wonders for me.

I carried a watermelon?