ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-13, 11:00 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

dasikins is just really nicedasikins is just really nicedasikins is just really nicedasikins is just really nice
Why would stimulants cause Depression?

As some know I am new to the world of ADHD. I have also used anti-depressants off and on to aid in Depression.

My current medication, Pristiq, has helped with any Depression symptoms, but like they usually do made me rather apathetic.

Concerta made me sleepy and Vyvanse has really made me more depressed. I didn't take it yesterday and I felt as though I had missed my AD.

Why do stimulants cause the depressive symptoms? Has anyone found any good information on this? I know it doesn't happen to everyone, but I enjoy learning how the brain works!

(RX): Pristiq 50mg, Vyvanse 50 mg, Trazadone (when needed)

"No. Just the butter"
The Following User Says Thank You to dasikins For This Useful Post:
MentalNomad (02-18-13)
Old 02-17-13, 11:17 AM

ackblerg is on a distinguished road
Re: Why would stimulants cause Depression?

My doctor put me on pristiq too- I took that for two weeks. Initially it regulated my sleeping a bit but only for the first couple of days. Part from that I didn't notice any change on it. He told me to keep on it while I take dex, but since I didn't think it made any difference to me I haven't been taking it. I have only felt the increased anxiety on dex a couple of times and that has been when I haven't had a good nights sleep/haven't eaten. The Dr originally recommended i take 4 x 5mg of dex, but I couldn't sleep at all on that- so I dropped it down to 2 a day, and now I think that the medication seems to be helping me. Sorry haven't answered your question! I'm not really sure why stims make people anxious/depressed but for me I think the trick was getting enough sleep & playing around with the dosage till I could do that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ackblerg For This Useful Post:
dasikins (02-18-13), Mr Digital 01 (02-17-13)
Old 02-17-13, 11:22 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,835 Times in 5,987 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackblerg View Post
I'm not really sure why stims make people anxious/depressed
The anxiety part is easier to explain - it's the depression that is kind of odd.

I wonder how much of that could be a person who was already depressed, but had a lot of "brain noise" going on; shut off the brain noise (which is one of the good effects of stimulants on ADHD) and the already-existing depression is then revealed? I don't know, just a wild guess.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
MellyFishButt (02-18-13), Mr Digital 01 (02-17-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-13, 10:21 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

dasikins is just really nicedasikins is just really nicedasikins is just really nicedasikins is just really nice

Yah I will have to look around for literature. I know it has to be out there somewhere. I am really thinking it has to do with the dopamine with drawl. Although I don't know why it would be worse for some people then others.

I am just hoping trying another stim will help.

"No. Just the butter"
Old 02-18-13, 10:57 AM
Interested Moderator

Thanked 7,838 Times in 4,271 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

This intrigues me, as Vyvanse made me depressed too.

I'll have to look into it.
I need to refresh my memory about how incredibly healthy it is to not give my energy to people who continually, and often times aggressively, try to discredit the key things in my life that are extremely healing and effective for me. -Unmanagable
The Following User Says Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
dasikins (02-18-13)
Old 02-18-13, 11:05 AM
ADDvanced Member

deadmau5 has a spectacular aura aboutdeadmau5 has a spectacular aura about

Ive never tried vyvanse so i cant speak on its behalf. This is quite intriguing though cause ive had the opposite effect on stims. I take adderall and it has worked really good for me, its taken the place of my lexapro and klonopin i was on for depression and anxiety. Everyone reacts to stims differently i guess.

In case you forgot, grumpy cat hates you.........
Old 02-18-13, 01:16 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

This is some information I have found. Take it with a grain of salt, but at least it proves why I maybe feel the way I do. Back when I was a teen I did a lot of Coke. That effects dopamine too, although I NEVER felt this type of depression with it. Sure I am glad I was able to move on from my addiction, but it was a different withdrawl. Anyway you might find this interesting.

My Vyvanse DOES help with depression for about six hours and then it makes it worse. I was flat on Pristiq, but with Vyvasne it really lifts me up a little and then crashes.

"The current theory about how it does this is that dextroamphetamine depletes dopamine (and possibly norepinephrine) far more effectively than cocaine or methylphenidate because unlike those drugs, amphetamines literally force dopamine out of the synaptic vesicles and into the neuronal cytoplasm. From the cytoplasm, they then force dopamine out into the synapse, and block it from re-entering. You don't want a lot of dopamine in the cytoplasm because it harms the brain cells, and because they're damaged, they take a long time to recover and return to normal functioning. Days, not hours.
Moderate doses of MPH (and, if I'm being honest, cocaine) don't cause this sort of short-term brain damage, and so their rebound effects are naturally far milder. Some people don't get any rebound at all from low-to-moderate doses of MPH. "

"No. Just the butter"
Old 02-18-13, 01:17 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

This is some information I have found. Take it with a grain of salt, but at least it proves why I maybe feel the way I do. Back when I was a teen I did a lot of Coke. That effects dopamine too, although I NEVER felt this type of depression with it. Sure I am glad I was able to move on from my addiction, but it was a different withdrawl. Anyway you might find this interesting.

My Vyvanse DOES help with depression for about six hours and then it makes it worse. I was flat on Pristiq, but with Vyvasne it really lifts me up a little and then crashes.

"The current theory about how it does this is that dextroamphetamine depletes dopamine (and possibly norepinephrine) far more effectively than cocaine or methylphenidate because unlike those drugs, amphetamines literally force dopamine out of the synaptic vesicles and into the neuronal cytoplasm. From the cytoplasm, they then force dopamine out into the synapse, and block it from re-entering. You don't want a lot of dopamine in the cytoplasm because it harms the brain cells, and because they're damaged, they take a long time to recover and return to normal functioning. Days, not hours.
Moderate doses of MPH (and, if I'm being honest, cocaine) don't cause this sort of short-term brain damage, and so their rebound effects are naturally far milder. Some people don't get any rebound at all from low-to-moderate doses of MPH. "

"No. Just the butter"
Old 02-18-13, 01:19 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilley View Post
Ive never tried vyvanse so i cant speak on its behalf. This is quite intriguing though cause ive had the opposite effect on stims. I take adderall and it has worked really good for me, its taken the place of my lexapro and klonopin i was on for depression and anxiety. Everyone reacts to stims differently i guess.
I will try Adderall next I am sure or at least some where down the line. Maybe the method of Vyvanse just does not work for me. The Concerta when I first tried was a great for my mood, but obviously that didn't last nor is it the reason I took it. I tried switching back and it made me sleepy. I already struggle with that.

I guess until I find out what is really causing my fatigue, MS or maybe another auto immune, I will keep trying to figure out if the ADHD is the real reason.

"No. Just the butter"
Old 02-18-13, 02:05 PM

Thanked 11,835 Times in 5,987 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

If this depression effect comes on after six hours, it's probably the effect of it wearing off. Some people need a small dose (of Vyvanse or of something else) at noon or early afternoon, to get them over this "crash".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (02-18-13), dasikins (02-18-13)
Old 02-18-13, 03:01 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Yah that's what I do but it it's more severe after 5 days even on 40mg. The crashes are about the same .

"No. Just the butter"
Old 02-18-13, 04:34 PM

Thanked 2,890 Times in 1,650 Posts
MentalNomad has a brilliant futureMentalNomad has a brilliant futureMentalNomad has a brilliant futureMentalNomad has a brilliant futureMentalNomad has a brilliant futureMentalNomad has a brilliant futureMentalNomad has a brilliant futureMentalNomad has a brilliant futureMentalNomad has a brilliant futureMentalNomad has a brilliant futureMentalNomad has a brilliant future

I have read before that some prescribed stimulants can cause serotonergic suppression. I'm not sure about that, though.
The Following User Says Thank You to MentalNomad For This Useful Post:
dasikins (02-18-13)
Old 02-18-13, 04:43 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Oh. That will b my next research topic! I am really beginning to think my adhd is stemming from something else. Look at how many posts I have made compared to others
Lol. My meds cause weird side effects that others don't have. No one has the same
Fatigue symptoms I do.

I just took a couple days off since the crash was so bad. My depression subsided but going back on the vyvanse was so ineffective! Even at a larger dose (my psychiatrist said I could play w the doses-dont want anyone thinking I am abusing it)

I have been tested for everything too. Was hopeful adhd was it. Least it would give me a road to go down

"No. Just the butter"
The Following User Says Thank You to dasikins For This Useful Post:
MentalNomad (02-18-13)
Old 02-18-13, 06:38 PM

Thanked 6,218 Times in 3,056 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

After a period of time (a couple weeks) I get depressed on all stimulants. I believe it is because they clear the obliviousness that accompanies ADHD.

Unmedicated I have an almost amazing ability to avoid thinking about the harsh realities of life.

Give me medication, and slowly my brain starts to become self aware. I begin to think about all the WORK I have to do, and I look around at my miserable circumstances and I become unhappy. I can't hide from reality any more.

For me Focalin is the best med. I don't like taking it every day, but I can take it on occassion without getting depressed.

Amphetamines make me depressed while they are active, and ritalin makes me super anxious when it wears off.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
dasikins (02-18-13), dogluver358 (02-19-13), Nachons (02-20-13), starry (02-18-13), tudorose (02-18-13)
Old 02-18-13, 06:40 PM

Thanked 6,218 Times in 3,056 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasikins View Post
Oh. That will b my next research topic! I am really beginning to think my adhd is stemming from something else. Look at how many posts I have made compared to others
Lol. My meds cause weird side effects that others don't have. No one has the same
Fatigue symptoms I do.
Actually, it might be because you TRULY do have ADHD (combined type). Do you mean the stimulants cause fatigue?

Fatigue is not uncommon on stimulants. I have less energy on them as well, because my manic hyper energy goes away.