ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 01-20-05, 09:46 PM

Aaron_burr is on a distinguished road
Adderall and diabetes

Hey!

My doctor just put me on 20mg Adderall XR once in the morning in addition to cutting my Strattera.

It's giving me serious thirst and mild sugar cravings. And, I'm starving after I work out. I'm worried about diabetes - those, I think, are the same signs.

I don't have any diabetes in either parents' family, and I'm a but chubby, but not fat, but I thought I'd ask: Can Adderall push you into diabetes?
Old 01-20-05, 09:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

moonlily is on a distinguished road
Adderral cant push you into diabetes, but being overweight can. you may balance out, once your body gets used to it. It sounds like you just have side effects, not diabetes symptoms. Diabetics are thirsty and hungry absolutly constantly and they pee continually. With no family history, I wouldnt worry.
Old 01-20-05, 11:51 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
Mature onset diabetes runs in my family so I'm aware of the symptoms - You will pee like crazy - up multiple times in the night, etc. And your blood sugar will go a bit nuts, so you may get cranky or have mood swings. Often you will notice changes in your eyesight - need glasses, etc. - my brother didn't need the glasses anymore once he got his bloodsugar under control. I don't have it yet and as long as I keep my weight down to the high side of "normal", I think I'll be OK. Excersise also reduces the risk, but being overwieght is the biggest risk factor. A fasting blood sugar will tell the doctor if you have it. Adderall won't cause it but if you were diabetic your doctor might well have second thoughts about prescribing it, especially if you were hypertensive, since diabetes will weaken the walls of the blood vessels, making high blood pressure the enemy! Excersise helps with the BP too, so keep up the workout schedule and make sure you eat something before you workout - I find that when I skip breakfast, I hit the wall much earlier when I work out after work - and I'm not as hurgry later.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-05, 11:53 PM

fuzzybaffy is on a distinguished road
I actually had the same worries as you when I took Adderall. My thirst and constant urination had me worried that I was diabetic. I checked with the doc and I was alright - turns out my dose was a bit too high.
Old 11-14-09, 02:38 PM

nmLisa is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall and diabetes

I was on Adderall XR for several months before suddenly becoming very ill in July 2007 at the age of 44. I ended up in the emergency room diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. There is no family history of diabetes, although I had been diagnosed with hypoglycema way back in high school with no problems since then. Doctors say that the Adderall was unrelated, but I stopped it immediately and won't let it be prescribed for my ADD daughter just in case.
The Following User Says Thank You to nmLisa For This Useful Post:
Mincan (11-14-09)
Old 12-01-09, 05:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

Bobthebuilder is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall and diabetes

I just began taking adderall. I'm overweight and have Diabetes Insipidus (not typical diabetes).. Causes me to drink and urinate excessively and I take a pill to help with that. I hope adderall doesn't somehow interact with that... I probably wouldnt even notice cause I'm always thirsty and I drink like a madman sometimes... When I'm off that medication I occasionaly drink so much water that it hurts