ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-05, 12:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

moonlily is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Am I the only ADD NON-multitasker? I cant do it!

I seem to keep reading, (maybe its my frame of reference) that ADD'ers are great at multitasking. I CAN NOT chew gum and walk at the same time. I can do things very fast, but if you talk to me while I am onthe phone, I will shut down. In fact, one of the first signs I thought my meds were finally working, is I DID follow 2 recipies at once. Please tell me Im not the only one!
Old 01-23-05, 02:12 PM
ADDvanced Member

Swamp Donkey is on a distinguished road
You're not alone--I'm the other person with ADHD who can't multi-task.
Ever been out in the woods and felt like you were being watched?
** Photo taken March 1999 near The Forks, Maine.**
Old 01-23-05, 02:20 PM

sweetpeas615 will become famous soon enough
This is my first time using the forum. I was happy to read this comment re the challenge of multi-tasking. I too have a really difficult time doing two things at once.

I can multi-task naturally, when not on my meds, in my natural ADHD state.

When I am on my meds, I prefer not to multi-task and in fact, downright resent having to do more than one thing at a time.

I guess that's because I am a perfectionist. I want to fully focus on one task at a time in order to accomplish it well.

I generally get irritated when I have to multi-task.

CHEERS
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-05, 07:16 AM
Contributor

herekittykitty is on a distinguished road
multi-task? multi-task?

I can't even move my arms and legs at the same time. Every ******* aerobics class I've tried, even the easyeasy ones for old ladies, I've walked out on in frustration. Simply can't do it.

If my cell phone rings, I have to stop walking to talk.

If something good (or even halfway decent, or quite bad, even) is on TV, I can't do anything; not even eat.

No type of computer games (except Solitaire). I've never even been near a PlayStation.
Old 01-25-05, 10:01 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

chameleon has disabled reputation
Oh thank GOD!!! I thought it was JUST ME!!! I can't even focus well enough to do ONE task, unless I'm lucky enough to have hyper focus kick in, and when it does, I can do things really fast too. Hyper focus is rare for me though. Usually I single task and get distracted by every little thing.
Kitty? Do you have a severe case? Because I do and I also can't walk and talk successfully at the same time! Shoulda seen me yesterday trying to drive and talk at the same time! Eeeeek!
Old 01-25-05, 09:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,961 Times in 2,419 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not good at multi-tasking, either! I have to learn each thing separately and only then can I multi-task with them.
I'm inattentive ADD, definitely not a hyper-focus person!

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
Old 01-26-05, 08:40 AM
Contributor

herekittykitty is on a distinguished road
Hey E-Girl,

Driving and talking--nope, me neither. Driving and singing along with the radio--sometimes ok, sometimes not (g). I can't even get my mind around the idea of multi-tasking...I thought ADD (at least my version of it) entailed getting overrun with too much information and the mind shutting down completely in protest. If I were ever able to multi-task, I'd consider myself cured!

So, if you can multi-task, what sort of ADD would you have? I'm getting confused (again)...
Old 01-26-05, 09:43 AM
Contributor

gypsysway will become famous soon enough
I am normally or a better way to put that used to be one to always multitask, can do lots of things at the same time, I have had the radio going, the tv, and be reading a book and can tell you whats going on on all and then get a phone call and still continue to read. but over the past 8 months, you literally have had to tell people not to talk to me now, because I would be trying to do something and they are completely distracting me where I lose it. and have to really try to focus back to my thought. I am just into my 3 wk of adderall and I knew things where getting better for me when I could continue to read, as someone was talking to me, and could still pay attention to them...I think also, it is what we are multi tasking with, things that come natural to me, I can do without thinking about always leaves room for more tasks...
"Every individual has to retain his way of thinking if he does not want to get lost in the maze of possibilities. However, nobody is sure of having taken the right road, me the least"... Albert Einstein; May 25, 1953
Old 01-26-05, 10:30 AM
Contributor

broK is on a distinguished road
i was beginning to wonder if i really had add 'cos i never really seemed to multitask...would start one project after another but really couldent get at them all at once. would just get frustrated, & just give up.
even now, esp with the meds, wife will have tv on, ill be sitting at the 'puter doing something & listening to tunes,(god love windohs media player ) & quite a bit of the time ill catch myself just staring off somewhere..., buried in my own head.
Old 01-27-05, 07:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

heatman will become famous soon enough
Multitasking? It seems I can start alot of things and get distracted very easily.I used to think I could multitask but found I was not finishing alot of things.It has to be very quiet in the area if I am on the phone and I must write it down to remember.If I am on the computer and the tv is on I find that I do not get anything done. Multitasking? See the only thing I can do with it is spell it right!!!!