ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Anti-Anxiety/Benzodiazepines/Beta Blockers
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-13, 09:54 PM

thabaker is on a distinguished road
Atarax (Hydroxyzine HCl) Experiences

Ok so my Psychiatrist has had me on Hydroxyzine HCl since I started seeing him in November 2012. I'm to take 50 - 100 mg as needed for Anxiety and Insomnia.
At first, I would take it whenever I would start feeling Anxious, since this was the primary reason my Doc put me on it, but all it seemed to do is make me really sleepy.
So I stopped trying to use it for the Anxiety and just used it for the occasion night of Insomnia.
Now it's March 2013 and four months have gone by. Every time I bring up the issue about my Anxiety and how the Hydroxyzine HCl isn't helping my Psychiatrist just goes off on a rant about how I'm young and that he doesn't want to give me any Benzos because of addicting they are. I find this very annoying since I never even brought up Benzos and I am not seeking drugs to get high, I just want something that helps.

Anyways, that's been a summary of my experience with it so far and I wanted to hear of anyone else's experiences, whether it's a success story or you're just stuck with it because your doctor's stubborn and has no alternatives.
Old 03-07-13, 01:06 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

known_guy has a spectacular aura aboutknown_guy has a spectacular aura about
Re: Atarax (Hydroxyzine HCl) Experiences

Atarax helped my anxiety, minimally, possibly moderately at best (though that's quite a stretch to say). I take Vistaril for insomnia now, but this is all because I want to avoid taking benzodiazepines for my own personal reasons. Your psychiatrist's reasoning is... a bit interesting. May I ask how old you are?

--------------------------------------------------
| Diagnoses : MDD | ADHD | ASD | BD-NOS | BPD |
Medications:
Zoloft 150mg | Dexedrine SR 30mg | Lamictal 100mg
Miscellaneous:
Cymbalta 30mg BID | Ritalin SR 40mg | Remeron 15mg

Old 03-07-13, 01:25 AM

Sure thing. I'm 19.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-13, 07:35 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

That does not sound too young for me, though of course, I'm not a professional so what do I know. :P Nevertheless, the ranting thing sounds like overkill. Especially if you do not have a history of substance abuse, I get the vibe that your doctor is using your age as an excuse not to prescribe a Schedule IV thing due to his own biases. Just my opinion or impression I'm getting...

Medications:
Miscellaneous:

The Following User Says Thank You to known_guy For This Useful Post:
thabaker (03-08-13)
Old 03-07-13, 07:49 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,987 Times in 12,126 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter finally talked me into seeing a psy-doc for my anxiety a couple
of years ago. He suggested I take Celexa (generic), it's an anti-depressant.
It worked very well, but my appetite was out of control. So he switched me
to Zoloft (generic) and I've been doing great on that.

The difference is that it takes time to stabilize your anxiety, so you have
to take it every day instead of 'as needed.'

After several months he asked me how I was sleeping. Don't know why he
didn't ask that sooner. He suggested Trazadone, which started out as an
anti-depressant but works better for anxiety and relaxing and sleep. Both
of my grandchildren also take it for sleep problems.

There are certainly other options in treating anxiety than Benzos. Sheesh.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
thabaker (03-08-13)
Old 03-08-13, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Especially if you do not have a history of substance abuse, I get the vibe that your doctor is using your age as an excuse not to prescribe a Schedule IV thing due to his own biases.
Maybe but I don't see why he should have a problem prescribing a Schedule IV when he's writing the scripts for my Vyvanse every month. He was also the diagnosing doctor for my ADHD and, from what I've gathered, was very quick to diagnose it. Just one computer test was all he needed. No questions about my symptoms or anything. I will point out that he did try Straterra before moving on stimulants though.
Maybe it's just one of those Psychiatric taboos that some doctors have for certain meds.

Quote:
He suggested I take Celexa (generic), it's an anti-depressant.
It worked very well, but my appetite was out of control. So he switched me
to Zoloft (generic) and I've been doing great on that.
I haven't had experience with Celexa but I was prescribed Zoloft when I first started taking medication for Depression and Anxiety back in October 2011. The only complaint I had was that it made me completely emotionless for a while. I just consider that to be my body adjusting to the SSRI. I think I was on it for a month before I got switched to Lexapro. (I have no idea why they did this. I wasn't having any real problems with Zoloft that I can remember.)
I was on the Lexapro for a good two months. It was working for me and I was under the recommended dose. I went in for my appointment one day and voiced my concerns over feeling extremely anxious (I wanna say it was caused by a presentation I was expected to give in a month). I was taking the Hydroxyzine HCl all the time and it didn't even touch it.
So what does the Psychiatrist decide to do? Why switch me from Lexapro to Viibryd of course!

The switch from Zoloft to Lexapro, while not necessarily being understandable, was ok. They were both SSRI meds and were both proven to treat anxiety.
The whole Viibryd thing though.... I just don't really understand why, or where they found, a reason to put me on this stuff. It was relatively new, I'm a broke college student (nongenerics are expensive), and I wasn't able to find any info about it helping for any kind of Anxiety.
I feel very strongly towards the decisions that have been made by this doctor. I'm in the market for a new one.

Quote:
He suggested Trazadone, which started out as an
anti-depressant but works better for anxiety and relaxing and sleep.
I was on Trazadone back in 2009 for Insomnia. Man that stuff was great for knocking me out for a night and occasionally for part of the next day. I can't say anything about it treating Anxiety though. 2009 was a long time ago.
I think I'll bring it up once I find a new doc. Thanks for bringing it up.
Old 03-08-13, 11:21 AM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

^ All that switching meds and not explaining why . . . I think I'd be looking
for a new doctor too. Meanwhile I'd ask the current doc to switch back to
Lexapro as it was working better than the Viibryd is.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
thabaker (03-08-13)
Old 03-08-13, 12:11 PM

I'm not planning on going back. My symptoms got significantly worse after being put on the Viibryd. My had appointment last week and told them had bad everything had gotten. They gave me 3 sample packs of Pristiq (2 week supply, 1 for week 1 and 2 for week 2) to start taking instead of the Viibryd. They also didn't give me a refill my Vyvanse but I understand that one with how bad my Anxiety has been and they want to make sure that it isn't the stimulants causing it.
They also wanted me to start an nearby IOP program so I could be regularly monitored to make sure nothing got worse. I got the Pristiq and some info from the internet and I was out of there. No follow-up appointment scheduled or anything.
Old 03-09-13, 09:53 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Yeah... it does sound like your doctor's got some biases. I was on Trazodone at one point too, but there was just something I really disliked about it. I was prescribed it for insomnia.

Medications:
Miscellaneous:

Old 03-15-13, 09:32 AM

All I can really remember from the time that I was on Trazadone is being extremely sleeping throughout the day. I don't want to blame the med because I was like that all day before and after I was on it.
Old 03-15-13, 09:40 AM
Forum Guru

starry is a jewel in the roughstarry is a jewel in the roughstarry is a jewel in the rough

A lot of doctors get paid by pharmaceutical companies to push their meds. That's why some docs will be eager to prescribe a certain med. over others.
This happens especially with new meds on the market, but with older ones too.

It's fairly common that the drug companies end up being found out as making deals with doctors to push their product on their patients and then get sued.
These trials usually get settled after the drug companies agree to either pay the FDA, or which ever gov agency it is in other countries or get settled by undisclosed amounts, usually astronomic amounts paid.
Old 03-15-13, 09:52 AM

Quote:
A lot of doctors get paid by pharmaceutical companies to push their meds.
That's the second time today that I've heard someone say that. It makes me not want to trust any doctor. It would also explain why I was given sample packs of Pristiq instead of first being put on Venlafaxine as the Venlafaxine is available as a generic and would be much more affordable with my limited income.

Would that also be true for medications that are available in generic form?
The Following User Says Thank You to thabaker For This Useful Post:
starry (03-16-13)
Old 03-15-13, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabaker View Post
All I can really remember from the time that I was on Trazadone is being extremely sleeping throughout the day. I don't want to blame the med because I was like that all day before and after I was on it.
The reason my p-doc gave me Trazadone was as a sleep aid, to be taken at bedtime.

Old 03-15-13, 10:54 AM

To counteract insomnia from your ADHD meds or were you experiencing insomnia that wasn't caused by your medicine?
Old 03-15-13, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabaker View Post
To counteract insomnia from your ADHD meds or were you experiencing insomnia that wasn't caused by your medicine?
I've had trouble sleeping my whole life. Partly from the busy-brain of ADHD,
partly from Anxiety, partly from sensory disorder so noise keeps me awake.