ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-11-13, 09:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

kolaborator will become famous soon enough
Adderall IR price without insurance

Given that I have recently lost my insurance, I would like to know what prices those users without insurance typically find in their area for Adderall IR. I understand that the price of Adderall has increased after the shortages of the recent years, so I would like to avoid such replies as "I used to pay $XX.XX but now that I [have health insurance/am on vyvanse/dexedrine] I pay $XX.XX".

Also, I am VERY interested with the fluctuations in price based on the location, so if you can, please include:

a)strength and dosage (manuf. is good too)
b)price
c)location (just your state is fine)
d)pharmacy (if its a chain please specify)

I am trying to find out whether some pharmacy can charge a lot less than some of us pay and still be profitable. In other words, I am trying to figure out the actual market cost of adderall IR, as the dosage strength does not appear to change the price, but the number of individual tablets does. I have checked GoodRX for info, but their cash prices do not always properly reflect pharmacy prices.

I will begin,
a)$114
b)20 mg, 90 pills, BARR
c)NY
d)WalMart
The Following User Says Thank You to kolaborator For This Useful Post:
cinnamontoast (01-06-14)
Old 03-12-13, 07:47 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,374 Times in 7,827 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall IR price without insurance

Pharmacies tend to price things based upon what their supplier charges them.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
kolaborator (03-15-13)
Old 03-12-13, 12:01 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,534 Times in 3,012 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

Adderall IR ....30 -30mg about $120
=mom and pop drug store in small town Michigan

about the same at the Walgreens in Berkeley, Ca

........If you make it to age 50 without growing up, you don't have to ......

.....After all, the business of life is the acquisition of memories....in the end, that's all we have .....Words of wisdom by the Downton Abbeys' butler
The Following User Says Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
kolaborator (03-15-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-13, 05:37 PM
Jr Member

Yummmy is on a distinguished road

Doc still experimenting with me and these expensive meds, and Adderall was one of them. I have insurance, but paid for them out of pocket so I wouldn't need to wait for prior authorization.

a)strength and dosage--Generic-oval shaped peach colored pill 20 mg twice per day-60 pills

b)price --$75

c)location--GA

d)pharmacy--Target
The Following User Says Thank You to Yummmy For This Useful Post:
kolaborator (03-15-13)
Old 03-13-13, 12:51 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Pharmacies tend to price things based upon what their supplier charges them.
Yes, but remember that suppliers are NOT manufacturers. There appears to be no difference in price based on dosage strength, and purchasing the same quantity of 10mg, 20mg, or 30mg Adderal IR tablets costs the same amount of money without insurance. Therefore, I do not fully understand the reason behind suppliers increasing their prices. Taxes? State and federal fees? Oil prices?

If it all of a sudden becomes more difficult to acquire the ingredients because of some DEA regulation, the manufacturers could charge suppliers more for stronger dosages, and they would later transfer these expenses onto pharmacies and their customers. In such circumstance, the pharmacy price of 30mg Adderall IR should be much higher than that of 10mg Adderall IR, but reality does not seem to follow this pattern. At Walmart in my area, the cost of 30 tabs of generic Adderall IR is THE SAME regardless of strength.
Old 03-13-13, 10:52 AM
Forum Guru

dogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to behold

Here's my info from about 6 months ago when I was on IR adderall.

a)strength and dosage IR 10mg 3x/day, 90 pills/month (Barr or sometimes Corepharma)
b)price $10 copay, full price at CVS $117.45, at Walgreens $114.45
c)location TX
d)pharmacy CVS, Walgreens/Kroger (both same price).
The Following User Says Thank You to dogluver358 For This Useful Post:
kolaborator (03-15-13)
Old 03-13-13, 04:07 PM

delaware13 is on a distinguished road

I was considering a change or addition of Adderall via my psychologist and nurse practitioner. I go to Rite-Aid pharmacy and they quoted me w/o insurance 30 10mg Adderall would cost $45 for the month prescription. The pharmacist did warn me the price varies with dosage and manufacturer.
The Following User Says Thank You to delaware13 For This Useful Post:
kolaborator (03-15-13)
Old 03-14-13, 05:10 PM

jpower8 is on a distinguished road

I live in South California, I just started taking Adderall, the first month I paid close to $60 for 60 x 10mg generic tablets from Costco. The 2nd month my doctor increased the dosage to 15mg, twice a day. I asked him to write me the 30mg tabs instead so it would be cheaper since the quantity of the pills has big affect on the price. I don't have insurance so I'd always have to pay with cash.

Just yesterday, I called around to get fill a 60 x30mg tablets order, i was quoted with different prices from various pharmacies. Ranging from $99 - $300. I did some research online, found this discount card that's actually work www.californiarxcard.com the ones before didn't work. This one let me check for the prices of adderall at the local pharmacies around me. I found CVS has them for $47.29, called them but they said it was $250, i told them about the discount card, came in and they actually filled my rx for $47.29 I hope this information helps you guys who doesn't have insurance like me.

a) Strength and dosage IR 30mg 2x/day (break tab in half) 60 pills/2 months
b) Price $47.29
c) location CA
d) Pharmacy CVS
The Following User Says Thank You to jpower8 For This Useful Post:
kolaborator (03-15-13)
Old 03-15-13, 05:44 AM

harshja is on a distinguished road

If there is one thread to which I can contribute, it is this one.

Preface: Lost my job several months back along w/ insurance. Why that makes sense, socially, is a topic for another forum. So onward into out-of-pocket expenses.

Throughout years of moving locations & changing doctors, I have seen office bills ranging from $70 to $160. The lower end of the spectrum are the cooler, pro bono guys that are taking a hit, admittedly. Again, topic of conversation for another forum.

The question comes down to (in order of effect on price): usage/acceptance of Rx discount cards, pharmacy (chain vs. independent), quantity, strength. Period.

After years of trial & error w/ varying manufacturers (never brand, always generic if you're paying out of pocket), always always always prioritize Sandoz. Always. Everything else is terrible & not worth even 1/10th the price they charge. Corepharma, Barr, Teva - throw them away & call 20 pharmacies if that's what it takes to find Sandoz. This is of course, not addressing issue of price - I'm just addressing the issue of sanity, chemical purity, overall quality, comedown effects, hangover effects - which are worth the $$$ to avoid.

Not to say we can't make a few phone calls & find our Sandoz 20mg x30 @ $40. It's very doable. And to address the OP, but blatantly disregard his request, man I miss the good old days of 2-3 years ago where you could pick up Sandoz 20mg x60 @ $45 without a discount card. Like oil prices, Adderall prices rocketed w/ lack of supply 2010-2012. No such shortage now, but funny how they don't lower their prices due to influx of supply.

I'll shut up and answer the questions:

a) Strength/dosage: 30mg IR Sandoz TID (3x/day) = 90x 30mg per script
b) Price: $68 w/ prescription savings cards (RxCut is the best I've found personally)
c) Location: Dallas, TX though I lived in Houston & have filled in Fort Worth - even out of state in Denver & Shreveport. All prices were independent of location for me.
d) Pharmacy: All of them at some point or another. The MOST expensive pharmacies in the country, generally speaking, are the large chains. Specifically: CVS, Walgreens, Wal-Mart, Kroger. Prices average $150+ for my particular script w/ these guys. Local pharmacies can be more reasonable, but no guarantee, and they generally accept my savings card for average price of $80. I finally found an obscure pharmacy (TRY HOSPITAL PHARMACIES) that carries Sandoz, accepts my card for total price of $68, and has your bottle ready to go within 10 minutes. Call around to find one of your own.

Oh - and final note - surprisingly, Target is the cheapest pharmacy I have found. Kind of blew me away since they're a big chain. The one in my area even carried Sandoz during the shortage - and NEVER ran out of stock when I called to inquire. After the shortage they picked up Barr & Corepharma again unfortunately, so they're off my list. Definitely a sad day seeing those oval-shaped panic-inducing ******** staring you back, just mocking you for paying the same price for total crap.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harshja For This Useful Post:
cinnamontoast (01-06-14), kolaborator (03-15-13), mollymae76 (04-14-14)
Old 03-15-13, 11:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

Great guys, keep these posts coming!!

It is good to know that I am not the only one without RX insurance...and more importantly that there are ways to reduce the cost and still afford our meds.

Harshja, you seem to be the clear winner here as far as price. $68 for 90x30mg Adderall IR tablets is more than reasonable in my opinion.

I have one question though. When I checked RxCut, the prices listed $99(which is still ok for 90 tablets) for 90x30mg both in Dallas, TX and in NY where I live. Is this price set in stone or can it go down further at certain pharmacies, when you use the discount card? The price of $68 was listed for 60 tablets regardless of dosage.
Old 03-16-13, 01:40 AM
Jr Member

Tyroni87 is on a distinguished road

Ok, so I manage to somehow work 2-3 jobs 7 days a week. One is considered my "full time" job and the other 2 are part time (evenings). No insurance from either job. I elect to not pay for it anymore. I only get to see my doctor 1x per 3 months for my check up / prescription. I eat healthy and am very active. So I just go with my luck and hope nothing bad happens. Anyways...

a) Strength and dosage IR 20mg 2x/day (break 2nd dose in half if need be) #60 30 day
b) Price $44.90
c) location IA
d) Pharmacy Walgreens

Good thread info!
Old 03-16-13, 03:03 AM
ADDvanced Member

VOltaire will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Re: Adderall IR price without insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by salleh View Post
Adderall IR ....30 -30mg about $120
=mom and pop drug store in small town Michigan

about the same at the Walgreens in Berkeley, Ca
Please PM me thats atrocious!
Old 03-16-13, 03:05 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolaborator View Post
Great guys, keep these posts coming!!

It is good to know that I am not the only one without RX insurance...and more importantly that there are ways to reduce the cost and still afford our meds.

Harshja, you seem to be the clear winner here as far as price. $68 for 90x30mg Adderall IR tablets is more than reasonable in my opinion.

I have one question though. When I checked RxCut, the prices listed $99(which is still ok for 90 tablets) for 90x30mg both in Dallas, TX and in NY where I live. Is this price set in stone or can it go down further at certain pharmacies, when you use the discount card? The price of $68 was listed for 60 tablets regardless of dosage.
Read the fine print! It usually gives estimates that pharmacies never honor well in my case they are!
Old 03-16-13, 03:10 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummmy View Post
Doc still experimenting with me and these expensive meds, and Adderall was one of them. I have insurance, but paid for them out of pocket so I wouldn't need to wait for prior authorization.

a)strength and dosage--Generic-oval shaped peach colored pill 20 mg twice per day-60 pills

b)price --$75

c)location--GA

d)pharmacy--Target
Very high price PM me.
Old 03-16-13, 06:29 PM

BoredWes is on a distinguished road

I just filled an adderall IR 30mg 3 times a day (90 total).

Here's what was charged at CVS

Total Cost: $112.49
Per pill cost: $1.25

You will probably get a better price at cost co.