ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Primary & Secondary Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Primary & Secondary Education This forum is for parents to discuss issues related to their children's education and AD/HD.

Old 03-12-13, 03:17 PM

sickasachip is on a distinguished road
Angry SENCO says he 'needs to apply himself more' !! grrrrr

Ive had a meeting with SENCO today & she says son is fine (english class of 6 maths class of 8 so hows that fine?) he just needs to apply himself more !! OMG its so annoying for her to say that considering her role within the school !! now Im goin to have to take a deep breath and broaden my shoulders to fight this war !!.....rant over sorry
The Following User Says Thank You to sickasachip For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-13-13)
Old 03-12-13, 05:35 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,960 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SENCO says he 'needs to apply himself more' !! grrrrr

(Special Educational Needs Coordinator, for those of us not in the UK)

If he has ADHD, then applying himself is exactly what he isn't capable of doing (well, not consistently), and she ought to know that. If no ADHD, then her remarks make more sense.

It irritates many people that a person with ADHD can sometimes "apply himself" because it makes them believe he is simply choosing not to "apply himself" at other times.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Amtram (03-12-13), ccom5100 (03-12-13), JenE (03-12-13), namazu (03-13-13)
Old 03-12-13, 11:37 PM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,007 Times in 488 Posts
JenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud of

I agree. I'm having similar issues with anxiety where he "looks" like he's in control and just being defiant but he's really battling anxiety and it comes out as defiance. I also had issues with teachers saying he can do it when he tries. But ADHD kids perform inconsistently. It is very frustrating!!

12yo DS with ADHD/anxiety.
Diagnosed 6/09
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-13, 01:56 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,960 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenE View Post
I agree. I'm having similar issues with anxiety where he "looks" like he's in control and just being defiant but he's really battling anxiety and it comes out as defiance. I also had issues with teachers saying he can do it when he tries. But ADHD kids perform inconsistently. It is very frustrating!!
(Not just kids.)

(Glances at own reflection in window)

He can't do it when he tries, that's exactly the problem. He can only do it sometimes, and usually when he doesn't try.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Amtram (03-13-13), JenE (03-13-13), mommytriz (03-14-13), namazu (03-13-13)