ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-13, 02:29 PM
Contributor

Hawutwut is a name known to allHawutwut is a name known to allHawutwut is a name known to allHawutwut is a name known to allHawutwut is a name known to allHawutwut is a name known to all
Sure looking like I have ADD...

I've been reading several chapters of Delivered from Distraction. I went through the screening and quizzes and my jaw was on the floor.

I'm pretty darn smart (no genius though), creative, somewhat artistic, mechanically inclined, a computer and electronics geek, sort of a jack of all trades, but absent minded, not always present mentally, and frankly mentally deficient in planning, organizing, prioritizing, decision-making.

I think I have ADD.

Sorry that this is going to be a cruelly long post... may require hyperfocus to get through... I'll try and bold important phrases / words. And, heck, here's a short summary. I love summaries. And bullet points.

• planning & time management issues for the last 35 years.
  • bad at estimating time taken to do anything
  • poor sense of time, either now or not now.
  • depression, worry/anxiety, not often happy, usually 'grey'
  • Often unmotived, boredom-intolerance, sometimes obsessed/driven by really interesting things
  • organization for me = stacks of paper piled up everywhere
  • wife is awesome, pays bills, organizes, stuff I struggle with
  • chronic lateness due to bad estimating/planning/last minute distraction
  • chronic procrastinator: do it now or forget to do it later
  • miss highway exits because mind wanders
  • hate being interrupted when working on something that requires attention
  • virtually unable to plan a route through grocery store without huge effort
  • can't remember long lists in my head; absent minded
  • rejected ADD as possible because I wasn't hyper
  • I did/do hyperfocus though, I think, doing something intently for hours oblivious to the world around me
  • Felt like something is wrong with me for decades
  • Never fit in but also staunch non-conformist
  • Very forgiving (probably mostly because I need more forgiveness for goof ups, missed dates, being late...)
  • Don't like socializing because conversations are usually excruciatingly boring.
  • I often know where someone is going long before they get to the point and I get impatient and think "ok ok ok I get it now shut up so I can say my bit before I forget it!"
  • disbelieving this book is so accurately describing me,
  • Also not surprised by this book, and also
  • worried that someone will say I'm not ADD in which case I have no idea wtf is wrong with me because something is.
  • Not an orderly mind. Ideas flit in and disappear, mind wanders, always thinking of different things.
  • Sometimes my mind doesn't work right, I'm slow, misunderstand.
  • Other times my mind is insanely fast, figuring something out in a flash long before others do.
  • Lack of sleep makes me really foggy.
  • I drink lots of coffee. It helps me think right.
  • Not a morning person at all. Love staying up late even if doing pointless stuff accomplishing nothing.
  • I have dozens of hobbies, drop old ones, pick up new ones, hard time finishing things, though I can
  • Often feel antsy like I could/should be doing the next thing not this thing.
  • Difficult to get what's in my head out by speaking-- it's a disorganized overly detailed mess. I can think better on paper and convey ideas on paper given enough time to edit and rearrange. (e.g., I wrote the long post first, then edited and added this list)
  • There's other stuff but coming up with an exhaustive list is... exhausting and I've already spent an hour on this ******* post.
Now the long, excruciating, hyperfocus-requiring ramble-fest:

I got the book sort of for the heck of it. At work I got a crap review and got dinged with "time management" as an area to improve so I was looking for books on time managemenat.

This isn't the first time "time management" has come up. When I was 7 in 2nd grade, my report card came back with a "Needs Improvement" (basically a polite F) in "uses time wisely". That grade has haunted me for the last 35 years.

Early in my career I had the worst time sticking to schedules and coming up with and working to project plans. I've made some improvements but I am still pretty bad at estimating how long things will take and sticking to a plan. I would often have cyclic motivation where I'd go through periods of not wanting to do anything, then go through periods of getting lots done.

I've struggled with depression and worrying since at least college, probably before. But it's the kind of low grade "blah" kind of depression where I'm rarely really happy, just usually feeling grey and often feeling downright depressed and unmotivated and usually worrying about things that aren't important to worry about and not worrying about things I should. I'm on an anti-anxiety, anti-depressant and it's helped but I still don't feel happy a lot. I just don't feel down in the dumps all the time. And I don't feel anxious.

Sometimes things make me really feel good and happy. Like recently I've spent hours listening to a few trance music anthems that are really beautiful and uplifting and it was a true joy to listen to them. Of course now I'm tackling another new project to create a mix of these songs (I've been wanting to play with mixing software for ages but haven't let myself due to myriad other projects)

Marrying my wife was the best thing for me. I'm much better off (I'm not sure she is though, hmm). She met me when I had stacks of papers around my living room to 'file' my various bills and paperwork that I would eventually get around to dealing with. It was all I could do to stay on top of bills, or otherwise keep my life orderly. She quickly got me on track, she does the bills and all that paperwork stuff that drive me nuts and at which I am so abysmally poor. For years before I met her I struggled continually with organizational/administrative things.

When we first started dating I nearly blew it because I was almost 2 hours late picking her up. It was one disaster after another, forgetting this, not planning enough time to get there, getting lost, etc. Luckily for me she decided to give me another chance. I was chronically late but never that bad again and she's got me trained to where I am usually able to force myself to think through the timing required to get where I need to be. Although I'm still late here and there due to distraction and not planning enough time and such.

I get distracted easily. I see something that needs doing and do it now or else I forget it until someone reminds me or I see it again. I'm a chronic procrastinator and that has been and still is a big problem in life and career. If I'm not doing it now I'll do it eventually.

She quickly learned that I tend to get lost driving, missing exits because my mind is elsewhere, slowing down because I'm working on some problem in my head, or wandering off some other place mentally. She has me trained to get in the proper lane miles ahead of time (ever watch Monk? that scene with Monk telling his assistant "left lane ends 3 miles, left lane ends 3 miles" over and over had us both laughing). I still miss exits when I'm alone but she's learned to 'help' me not get lost.

She also discovered that I hate being interrupted when I'm in the middle of doing things. I've tried to temper that response. I don't mean to be a jerk or anything, just pulling me away from writing an email message or reading some involved forum post, or whatnot is really irritating.

She doesn't send me to the grocery store for shopping because it takes me about 2 hours to do what she can in 30 minutes. I am rather severely mentally deficient in planning a route through the store. It's more like I'm on one end and suddenly remember something at the other end, head back to get it even though I was just on that end, meanwhile forgetting to pick up the 5 items lying between me and my mental interruption.

I'm actually having a hard time on some level believing the book -- what I mean is, how can I possibly answer that many questions positively? Maybe I'm tricking myself. Or maybe the book is tricking me. Maybe most people answer 60% of those things true. Yet at the same time I'm not surprised. And actually if someone tells me I'm not ADD I'm going to be freaked out even more because then I have no idea wtf is wrong with me and why I am this way.

Ever since that fateful report card in 2nd grade, I've struggled with not goofing off -- doing things that are interesting, I now realize, versus doing things that are boring. I realize now I have a low threshold for boring. I don't like doing repetitive things. I don't like having to be consistently perfect because it's insanely difficult for me to bring myself to do.

Speaking of which socializing is often incredibly un-fun. Very, very rarely do I find anything interesting to talk about or anyone interesting to talk to. It isn't that I don't like people. I just don't like talking about uninteresting things. The few friends I have are dynamic people that have really interesting things to say and are passionate and/or funny. My best friend is always doing new fascinating things with art or otherwise.

Work has turned from interesting problem solving to rote repetition and has gotten boring as hell, frankly. And I have a boss that wants everyone to be organized and consistently perfect and able to manage time well -- basically she wants me to be something I'm not really able to be.

I'm not surprised at some level as I said about possibly being ADD. Though I'd rejected that possibility a decade ago because I was never hyperactive as a child, I do recall doing Lego building or other things that were interesting for hours and not on boring stuff that wasn't fun.

And there have been more than a few times in my life where I've felt like something was wrong with me. I never quite fit in. But I also am a staunch non-conformist. I've wondered if I'm mentally deficient more than a few times. Having my wife to reflect me so well to myself, I stopped wondering and I really accept that I am mentally deficient in planning, organizing, etc.

I remember reading a book many years ago talking about some mystery solver (maybe this was a Poirot book) having a clear orderly mind and thinking, crap I don't have that. I knew long ago my mind was a jumble and I couldn't hold things in it in an orderly fashion. I didn't know why. I was disappointed. Ideas flit in and and then disappear and I often can't remember them again. I think better when I write out my thoughts which is one reason I blog about robotics.

I've always been able to write much, much better than speak because there's all these intricate ideas and concepts in my head that are really difficult to convey to someone else -- unless I spend time distilling, summarizing, editing, organizing on paper first. I can explain complex things in simple understandable ways but only after I've thought about how to do it. Speaking off the cuff for me is usually a disorganized, overly lengthy mess. I've worked on it and gotten better but that isn't saying much. Speaking is not my forte. Writing, by a long stretch, is.

I read Sher's book Refuse to Choose and much resonated but there was no explanation as to why I was this way. Reading Delivered from Distraction gives me an explanation that fits so many things it actually is freaking me out to the point where I'm simultaneously saying "so *that's why" and "no, this can't be"

Sometimes my mind doesn't work. Like yesterday when I was on day 2 of 4 hours of sleep. My mind was in a fog all day. I was more aware of this after reading the Delivered book. I just was having a hard time thinking, putting things together, etc. I've read some stuff on this SCT thing on the forum and elsewhere. I don't want to have that. It sounds awful and -- no offense intended, just speaking what I feel -- it sounds not very positive in any light.

I once felt my mind moved slowly sometimes. I think it does in some regards and sometimes I get confused about certain things, but other times my mind is lighting fast thinking of dozens of complex things in the wink of an eye. Or figuring out something really fast, like the time I figured out a complex capability of a database system (I have very little database experience) and how it works and how to use it in a minute and spent the next twenty trying to explain it to the dba. The concept all just fell together in a flash. Yet I feel slow and out of it in other situations.

I drink quite a bit of coffee and can't really think worth a crap in the morning until I've had a double shot (or more) iced latte. I now find it best to do one in the morning and one in the afternoon... and a third in the evening if I plan to stay up working on robotics.

Speaking of which I have dozens of hobbies and usually put one aside and pick up a new one every few years. Sort of like my dad was. I get bored with one and start a new interesting one. That's the Scanner / Renaissance Soul thing that resonated with me.

I often feel antsy like I should be doing something else instead of what I'm doing now. Unless I get engrossed then I can't be pried away even when important things need to happen, leave for some appointment, calling into work meetings, etc.

Ok, whew, better stop ... I'm sure there's dozens more things I could list but I've forgotten what they all are...

So yeah... on one hand it seems unreal that the quizzes in this book and much of the content is like a story about me, personally. Must be some mind trick to sell books, right? On the other hand, I'm not surprised.

My wife and I have even joked about my having ADD but not really thinking that I do. (I didn't really grok what ADD was until I read this book) But now I kind of need it to be ADD because if it isn't that, then I have no idea what the crap is wrong with me. At least with ADD there's finally an explanation that fits all my weirdness and -- holy cow -- actual treatment that can help me function better... which also makes me wish I'd sought a diagnosis 20 years ago. Feh.
Old 03-17-13, 03:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

malaka is a jewel in the roughmalaka is a jewel in the roughmalaka is a jewel in the rough
Re: Sure looking like I have ADD...

you didn't say your name... welcome to the forum anyway
looks like you know how to express yourself very well
trance music is very nice by the way
Old 03-17-13, 03:45 PM

schraapsel is on a distinguished road

Hey, so I read bits and parts of your post (Thanks for using bold on important parts), but I am not sure you really do have ADD. Of course, I am not an expert, I do have it myself.
The things you wrote about yourself sure would give you the idea that you do, but I doubt it. You said you feel down or anxious over stuff, but ADD is more like .. *really happy*... *super depressed* .. in only a matter of minutes. And this is only one thing. I'm sorry, my concentration sucks.
It actually sounds more like a kind of autism. You are super lucky for having your wife, and that she is able to help you. I think that you shouldn't worry about what you have, but about how you deal with daily things. And how you solve those things you have to deal with. It's not important to put a label on it, it's not as if it'd suddenly solve everything.

If you really do want to put a label on it, I'd go see a psychiatrist. They really are able to help you.

Good luck with everything.

Would like to meet with other people who have ADD and are also easily obsessed with TV shows, bands, etc.

Been on Dexamfetamine sulphate for nearly a year, would like to know more.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-13, 04:26 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 20,056 Times in 11,686 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to ADDF I didn't read your whole post because I lost concentration
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Keep your dreams alive, dreaming is still how the strong survive" Oliver and Company (Disney)
Old 03-17-13, 04:40 PM
Contributor

Hawutwut is a name known to allHawutwut is a name known to allHawutwut is a name known to allHawutwut is a name known to allHawutwut is a name known to allHawutwut is a name known to all

I probably wouldn't want to slog through that post either.

The Delivered from Distraction book fits me way too well, though. I can relate to many of the posts on here, too.

(By contrast, I've not found any autism / asperger's quizzes to fit me)

I really can only get a diagnosis from a professional, of course.

I'm hoping for a treatment program that will help me become more functional in work and daily life.

I'm pretty functional now, etc., but the lack of planning skills, time management, and planning and have been a problem for years along with absent-mindedness, mind wandering, etc.
Old 03-17-13, 04:48 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

jeaniebug is a glorious beacon of lightjeaniebug is a glorious beacon of lightjeaniebug is a glorious beacon of lightjeaniebug is a glorious beacon of lightjeaniebug is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: Sure looking like I have ADD...

Hi and welcome! Great post. You may have the inattentive type of ADHD rather that the hyperactive. Which is what I have, and also what my brother had. You are able to self-medicate with coffee. If you are like me, it slows you down and you are able to concentrate. Coffee relaxes me, which is not normal. Although I can't drink it at night or I will be up.

I think you do have it. Having lived with it, and seen my older brother with it. I wasn't diagnosed until my 40's. I self diagnosed first, and I know you are not supposed to do that, but hey I always jump ahead. It isw very, very hard to diagnose some people, when they are bright and have coping mechanisms. And support, like you have with your wife.

There is a LOT to read on this site and links to alot of other places where you can find more answers. Good luck!

Old 03-17-13, 09:04 PM
Jr Member

english-ice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawutwut View Post
I've been reading several chapters of Delivered from Distraction. I went through the screening and quizzes and my jaw was on the floor.

I'm pretty darn smart (no genius though), creative, somewhat artistic, mechanically inclined, a computer and electronics geek, sort of a jack of all trades, but absent minded, not always present mentally, and frankly mentally deficient in planning, organizing, prioritizing, decision-making.

I think I have ADD.

Sorry that this is going to be a cruelly long post... may require hyperfocus to get through... I'll try and bold important phrases / words. And, heck, here's a short summary. I love summaries. And bullet points.

• planning & time management issues for the last 35 years.
  • bad at estimating time taken to do anything
  • poor sense of time, either now or not now.
  • depression, worry/anxiety, not often happy, usually 'grey'
  • Often unmotived, boredom-intolerance, sometimes obsessed/driven by really interesting things
  • organization for me = stacks of paper piled up everywhere
  • wife is awesome, pays bills, organizes, stuff I struggle with
  • chronic lateness due to bad estimating/planning/last minute distraction
  • chronic procrastinator: do it now or forget to do it later
  • miss highway exits because mind wanders
  • hate being interrupted when working on something that requires attention
  • virtually unable to plan a route through grocery store without huge effort
  • can't remember long lists in my head; absent minded
  • rejected ADD as possible because I wasn't hyper
  • I did/do hyperfocus though, I think, doing something intently for hours oblivious to the world around me
  • Felt like something is wrong with me for decades
  • Never fit in but also staunch non-conformist
  • Very forgiving (probably mostly because I need more forgiveness for goof ups, missed dates, being late...)
  • Don't like socializing because conversations are usually excruciatingly boring.
  • I often know where someone is going long before they get to the point and I get impatient and think "ok ok ok I get it now shut up so I can say my bit before I forget it!"
  • disbelieving this book is so accurately describing me,
  • Also not surprised by this book, and also
  • worried that someone will say I'm not ADD in which case I have no idea wtf is wrong with me because something is.
  • Not an orderly mind. Ideas flit in and disappear, mind wanders, always thinking of different things.
  • Sometimes my mind doesn't work right, I'm slow, misunderstand.
  • Other times my mind is insanely fast, figuring something out in a flash long before others do.
  • Lack of sleep makes me really foggy.
  • I drink lots of coffee. It helps me think right.
  • Not a morning person at all. Love staying up late even if doing pointless stuff accomplishing nothing.
  • I have dozens of hobbies, drop old ones, pick up new ones, hard time finishing things, though I can
  • Often feel antsy like I could/should be doing the next thing not this thing.
  • Difficult to get what's in my head out by speaking-- it's a disorganized overly detailed mess. I can think better on paper and convey ideas on paper given enough time to edit and rearrange. (e.g., I wrote the long post first, then edited and added this list)
  • There's other stuff but coming up with an exhaustive list is... exhausting and I've already spent an hour on this ******* post.
Now the long, excruciating, hyperfocus-requiring ramble-fest:

I got the book sort of for the heck of it. At work I got a crap review and got dinged with "time management" as an area to improve so I was looking for books on time managemenat.

This isn't the first time "time management" has come up. When I was 7 in 2nd grade, my report card came back with a "Needs Improvement" (basically a polite F) in "uses time wisely". That grade has haunted me for the last 35 years.

Early in my career I had the worst time sticking to schedules and coming up with and working to project plans. I've made some improvements but I am still pretty bad at estimating how long things will take and sticking to a plan. I would often have cyclic motivation where I'd go through periods of not wanting to do anything, then go through periods of getting lots done.

I've struggled with depression and worrying since at least college, probably before. But it's the kind of low grade "blah" kind of depression where I'm rarely really happy, just usually feeling grey and often feeling downright depressed and unmotivated and usually worrying about things that aren't important to worry about and not worrying about things I should. I'm on an anti-anxiety, anti-depressant and it's helped but I still don't feel happy a lot. I just don't feel down in the dumps all the time. And I don't feel anxious.

Sometimes things make me really feel good and happy. Like recently I've spent hours listening to a few trance music anthems that are really beautiful and uplifting and it was a true joy to listen to them. Of course now I'm tackling another new project to create a mix of these songs (I've been wanting to play with mixing software for ages but haven't let myself due to myriad other projects)

Marrying my wife was the best thing for me. I'm much better off (I'm not sure she is though, hmm). She met me when I had stacks of papers around my living room to 'file' my various bills and paperwork that I would eventually get around to dealing with. It was all I could do to stay on top of bills, or otherwise keep my life orderly. She quickly got me on track, she does the bills and all that paperwork stuff that drive me nuts and at which I am so abysmally poor. For years before I met her I struggled continually with organizational/administrative things.

When we first started dating I nearly blew it because I was almost 2 hours late picking her up. It was one disaster after another, forgetting this, not planning enough time to get there, getting lost, etc. Luckily for me she decided to give me another chance. I was chronically late but never that bad again and she's got me trained to where I am usually able to force myself to think through the timing required to get where I need to be. Although I'm still late here and there due to distraction and not planning enough time and such.

I get distracted easily. I see something that needs doing and do it now or else I forget it until someone reminds me or I see it again. I'm a chronic procrastinator and that has been and still is a big problem in life and career. If I'm not doing it now I'll do it eventually.

She quickly learned that I tend to get lost driving, missing exits because my mind is elsewhere, slowing down because I'm working on some problem in my head, or wandering off some other place mentally. She has me trained to get in the proper lane miles ahead of time (ever watch Monk? that scene with Monk telling his assistant "left lane ends 3 miles, left lane ends 3 miles" over and over had us both laughing). I still miss exits when I'm alone but she's learned to 'help' me not get lost.

She also discovered that I hate being interrupted when I'm in the middle of doing things. I've tried to temper that response. I don't mean to be a jerk or anything, just pulling me away from writing an email message or reading some involved forum post, or whatnot is really irritating.

She doesn't send me to the grocery store for shopping because it takes me about 2 hours to do what she can in 30 minutes. I am rather severely mentally deficient in planning a route through the store. It's more like I'm on one end and suddenly remember something at the other end, head back to get it even though I was just on that end, meanwhile forgetting to pick up the 5 items lying between me and my mental interruption.

I'm actually having a hard time on some level believing the book -- what I mean is, how can I possibly answer that many questions positively? Maybe I'm tricking myself. Or maybe the book is tricking me. Maybe most people answer 60% of those things true. Yet at the same time I'm not surprised. And actually if someone tells me I'm not ADD I'm going to be freaked out even more because then I have no idea wtf is wrong with me and why I am this way.

Ever since that fateful report card in 2nd grade, I've struggled with not goofing off -- doing things that are interesting, I now realize, versus doing things that are boring. I realize now I have a low threshold for boring. I don't like doing repetitive things. I don't like having to be consistently perfect because it's insanely difficult for me to bring myself to do.

Speaking of which socializing is often incredibly un-fun. Very, very rarely do I find anything interesting to talk about or anyone interesting to talk to. It isn't that I don't like people. I just don't like talking about uninteresting things. The few friends I have are dynamic people that have really interesting things to say and are passionate and/or funny. My best friend is always doing new fascinating things with art or otherwise.

Work has turned from interesting problem solving to rote repetition and has gotten boring as hell, frankly. And I have a boss that wants everyone to be organized and consistently perfect and able to manage time well -- basically she wants me to be something I'm not really able to be.

I'm not surprised at some level as I said about possibly being ADD. Though I'd rejected that possibility a decade ago because I was never hyperactive as a child, I do recall doing Lego building or other things that were interesting for hours and not on boring stuff that wasn't fun.

And there have been more than a few times in my life where I've felt like something was wrong with me. I never quite fit in. But I also am a staunch non-conformist. I've wondered if I'm mentally deficient more than a few times. Having my wife to reflect me so well to myself, I stopped wondering and I really accept that I am mentally deficient in planning, organizing, etc.

I remember reading a book many years ago talking about some mystery solver (maybe this was a Poirot book) having a clear orderly mind and thinking, crap I don't have that. I knew long ago my mind was a jumble and I couldn't hold things in it in an orderly fashion. I didn't know why. I was disappointed. Ideas flit in and and then disappear and I often can't remember them again. I think better when I write out my thoughts which is one reason I blog about robotics.

I've always been able to write much, much better than speak because there's all these intricate ideas and concepts in my head that are really difficult to convey to someone else -- unless I spend time distilling, summarizing, editing, organizing on paper first. I can explain complex things in simple understandable ways but only after I've thought about how to do it. Speaking off the cuff for me is usually a disorganized, overly lengthy mess. I've worked on it and gotten better but that isn't saying much. Speaking is not my forte. Writing, by a long stretch, is.

I read Sher's book Refuse to Choose and much resonated but there was no explanation as to why I was this way. Reading Delivered from Distraction gives me an explanation that fits so many things it actually is freaking me out to the point where I'm simultaneously saying "so *that's why" and "no, this can't be"

Sometimes my mind doesn't work. Like yesterday when I was on day 2 of 4 hours of sleep. My mind was in a fog all day. I was more aware of this after reading the Delivered book. I just was having a hard time thinking, putting things together, etc. I've read some stuff on this SCT thing on the forum and elsewhere. I don't want to have that. It sounds awful and -- no offense intended, just speaking what I feel -- it sounds not very positive in any light.

I once felt my mind moved slowly sometimes. I think it does in some regards and sometimes I get confused about certain things, but other times my mind is lighting fast thinking of dozens of complex things in the wink of an eye. Or figuring out something really fast, like the time I figured out a complex capability of a database system (I have very little database experience) and how it works and how to use it in a minute and spent the next twenty trying to explain it to the dba. The concept all just fell together in a flash. Yet I feel slow and out of it in other situations.

I drink quite a bit of coffee and can't really think worth a crap in the morning until I've had a double shot (or more) iced latte. I now find it best to do one in the morning and one in the afternoon... and a third in the evening if I plan to stay up working on robotics.

Speaking of which I have dozens of hobbies and usually put one aside and pick up a new one every few years. Sort of like my dad was. I get bored with one and start a new interesting one. That's the Scanner / Renaissance Soul thing that resonated with me.

I often feel antsy like I should be doing something else instead of what I'm doing now. Unless I get engrossed then I can't be pried away even when important things need to happen, leave for some appointment, calling into work meetings, etc.

Ok, whew, better stop ... I'm sure there's dozens more things I could list but I've forgotten what they all are...

So yeah... on one hand it seems unreal that the quizzes in this book and much of the content is like a story about me, personally. Must be some mind trick to sell books, right? On the other hand, I'm not surprised.

My wife and I have even joked about my having ADD but not really thinking that I do. (I didn't really grok what ADD was until I read this book) But now I kind of need it to be ADD because if it isn't that, then I have no idea what the crap is wrong with me. At least with ADD there's finally an explanation that fits all my weirdness and -- holy cow -- actual treatment that can help me function better... which also makes me wish I'd sought a diagnosis 20 years ago. Feh.

Hey I've read most of your post and can relate to most of what you posted. I'm going to my GP tomorrow to start the process of seeing if I have ADD, that's why I joined here just like you.

Myself I have always know that something is wrong with me given that I struggle some much with the basic things like time keeping , decision making and I too have always been a chronic procrastinator.... even tho daily I battle it with all my might!

I'm not looking at a tag to put on myself , but I honestly feel something is very wrong with me and I fit most of the symptoms of add.
Old 03-17-13, 10:05 PM
Contributor

Thanks to all who have posted so far. I really appreciate it.

@english-ice thanks for your post, helps to hear your situation and know I'm not alone if that makes sense.

I plan to see the GP to find an ADHD specialist and see about an actual diagnosis. I don't need a label, but a solution. Which is to say a way to deal better with my weaknesses whether to reduce them, work around them, whatever.