ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-29-13, 09:17 PM

gigem2012 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Dopamine and Adderall / Adderall's Effect on Brain

Hi,

I was prescribed and tookAdderall for two years. I was wondering if/what Adderall does that could potentially permanently damage or alter the brain? Long term could it deplete the brain of dopamine or perhaps inhibit the brain from producing dopamine. If so, does the brain adapt or stay altered?

I am asking these questions because I have been off for 4 months. I just don't feel quite right. Typical ADD symptoms are present, however, I've never felt this different in my life. I'm not sharp mentally and I find myself thinking hard about doing simple things such as talking, writing, etc. I constantly catch myself worrying about my brain because I took Adderall. If something is altered is there potential for adaption in a positive manner?

I tend to worry about things if you cannot tell from above. I am just wondering if the brain has the ability to adapt from the damages or chemical changes from Adderall in my brain.

Thank you
Old 03-30-13, 01:33 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,565 Times in 3,900 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall Effect on Brain

Perhaps you could just be thinking your ADHD issues are worse because of the improvements of the medication. I felt the same way when I went off Ritalin for 2 months. And really today, day 1 off meds, I feel like I had a frontal lobotomy. I just notice my symptoms a whole lot more because I've glimpsed that world of organization, clear thought process and all the other stuff it does.

I'm not sure how it could deprive the brain of dopamine. Other people here who use bigger words than me might be of more assistance.
Old 03-30-13, 05:39 AM

Thanked 16,917 Times in 7,644 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dopamine and Adderall

I do not know or have the science to back what this up so take it as my "informed" opinion. I have tried to weed through a scientific explanation from the science section but I just cant grasp the specifics. IMO, adderall does have an effect on dopamine, but not a long term effect. I also dont think/believe that adderall permanently changes the levels of dopamine you have or make...maybe someone else can answer this conclusively.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-13, 06:37 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough
Re: Dopamine and Adderall / Adderall's Effect on Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem2012 View Post
I was wondering if/what Adderall does that could potentially permanently damage or alter the brain?
oh no, not again!! lol....please use search, tons of posts on this topic to please your mind
Old 03-31-13, 12:06 PM

Sorry kiosk, I am new to the board. My gut tells me it adversely effects the brain and that leaves me concerned, however, my GP and people on this board tend to disagree. I never abused the medication, took more than prescribed, etc. just four months off of it I just don't feel right. Part of me thinks this is what others feel who have never taken Adderall or I have just forgotten how ADD feels. Please post any evidence discrediting my belief for peace of mind. Thank you all for your help.
Old 04-02-13, 10:54 PM

cbassolympics is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem2012 View Post
Sorry kiosk, I am new to the board. My gut tells me it adversely effects the brain and that leaves me concerned, however, my GP and people on this board tend to disagree. I never abused the medication, took more than prescribed, etc. just four months off of it I just don't feel right. Part of me thinks this is what others feel who have never taken Adderall or I have just forgotten how ADD feels. Please post any evidence discrediting my belief for peace of mind. Thank you all for your help.
The manner you wrote your question believes me to think that you are trying to reconfirm something you already believe. You were prescribed adderall because of the symptoms you had. When you stopped taking the adderall, you become aware of the symptom control and difference in functioning. Now you are more closely paying attention to your symptoms ( pretty sure they were just the same before you started taking adderall) but the only difference is that you are magnifying them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cbassolympics For This Useful Post:
free_my_mind (04-30-13), gigem2012 (04-04-13)
Old 04-02-13, 11:25 PM

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

This is one thing about medicinal stimulants that is absolutely true - once you've been using them for an extended amount of time discontinuing them will result in highly exacerbated ADHD symptoms until your body adjusts.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 04-03-13, 02:00 AM

Thanked 11,984 Times in 6,053 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man View Post
This is one thing about medicinal stimulants that is absolutely true - once you've been using them for an extended amount of time discontinuing them will result in highly exacerbated ADHD symptoms until your body adjusts.
It sounds as if you have experienced the kind of adjustment period you're talking about. If that's true, then do you remember in your situation how long the adjustment took?
Old 04-03-13, 04:49 PM
Jr Member

KSmuaythai is on a distinguished road

Adderall increases dopamine
Dopamine is oxidizable
Oxidizable molecules degrade dendritic ends of neurons (parts of your brain)
Neurons can regrow, but only if the soma and axon are intact

Yes. It can damage the brain permanently, however, dendrites can be grown back through pathway "training."
Old 04-04-13, 10:22 AM

Yes, I am essentialy trying to reaffirm my beliefs that I will be ok in the long run. I was, and still am, deeply concerened that taking Adderall for 2-3 years will have a negative impact on my health moving forward. You guys are great will all of the help and advice. I am going to keep researching to try and find positive results. I want to believe my Doctor would not prescribe me something that was going to cut my life short or cause serious, uncurable health problems. Looking forward to hearing back from you guys!
Old 04-09-13, 09:49 AM

Thanked 16,689 Times in 7,873 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

These meds have been in use for over 50 years.
If there was some long term damage to the brain,
I think it would be all over the news by now.
Media loves to report on bad news.
carriie (05-17-13), sarahsweets (04-09-13)
Old 04-09-13, 11:35 AM

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
It sounds as if you have experienced the kind of adjustment period you're talking about. If that's true, then do you remember in your situation how long the adjustment took?
Oh, it's only excessively bad for a week or so but life just doesn't feel the same without stimulants. So... I just keep taking them. : )

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
The Following User Says Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
carriie (05-17-13)
Old 04-09-13, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I DO think daily use of amphetamines has a permanent effect on the brain, though not necessarily a damaging one. I know that even when I stop taking amphetamines for months at a time I still have this little tic that developed several months after I initially started them. I think it's permanent but it's not really noticeable - just a weird thing my fingers do.

Dopamine is a pretty hearty neurotransmitter (unlike Serotonin, which doesn't seem to come back when it's been majorly deplenished, as in the case Meth and MDMA abuse). Taking steps to assure less oxidative stress can help greatly as well.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 04-09-13, 05:48 PM
Jr Member

KSmuaythai is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
False, anecdotal evidence doesn't mean anything.
Old 04-09-13, 06:00 PM

Thanked 16,689 Times in 7,873 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSmuaythai View Post
False, anecdotal evidence doesn't mean anything.
Sheesh. I was only giving an Opinion.

Added . . . Where is your "evidence?"

Your post looks like an opinion as well.

Last edited by BR549; 04-15-13 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: consistency with quote only