ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 04-29-13, 02:27 PM

Astrowave is on a distinguished road
Vyvanse and Adderall: Maximum Dosage Comparison

I am making the assumption that the equivalent dosages between Vyvanse and Adderall XR are as the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR549 View Post

20mg Vyvanse = 5 mg Adderall XR
30mg Vyvanse = 10 mg Adderall XR = two 5mg doses of Adderall IR
40mg Vyvanse = 15 mg Adderall XR
50mg Vyvanse = 20 mg Adderall XR
60mg Vyvanse = 25 mg Adderall XR
70mg Vyvanse = 30 mg Adderall XR
These are not exact either, but they are the dosages for relative equivalency without taking the effects of levo-amphetamine into account:

30mg Adderall = 22.5mg Dextro-amphetamine + 7.5mg Levo-amphetamine
70mg Vyvanse = 22.5mg Dextro-amphetamine

Now onto the purpose of this thread. Just to give some quick background, understand that the dosages I have taken for my ADD are extremely and unusually in the high range. I have always required high doses of ADD medications. Even with Ritalin I had gotten to the dosage of as much as 120mg Methylphenidate XR, and with Focalin I was taking 60mg Dexmethylphenidate XR + 30mg Methylphenidate IR. I have been on Adderall for nearly a year now, and in that time my dose has been adjusted from 60mg Adderall IR to 90mg Adderall XR. I was on the 90mg Adderall XR for nearly 6 months and all was going great. No issues or complaints from me, except now I needed to find a way to stretch the dose from 6am to 8pm for school this term. Taking Adderall XR for my late classes seemed a waste (15mg IR and 15mg released 4 hours later doesn't help me much).

Needless to say, my doctor prescribed 60mg Vyvanse but I was concerned how long it took to take affect, so he said to take it earlier by setting my alarm an hour or two earlier. Well it turns out, it doesn't kick in quick enough, NOR does it last long enough!

After looking into Vyvanse and Adderall on these forums, it makes sense that it is not working well for me. Why would my doctor prescribe like this:

90mg Adderall XR ---> 60mg Vyvanse

if 60mg Vyvanse = 25mg Adderall XR?

Does anybody take a dosage of Vyvanse greater than 70mg (max dose per pill)? This is ridiculous, called doctor after a few days, said to wait another week so I could "adjust" to it. No adjusting is happening. I have to resort to coffee to stay on task which barely works and ends up making me feel tired. I miss my XR, and I feel like the Dr doesn't know how Vyvanse dosages work...
Old 04-29-13, 05:59 PM
Super Mooderator

Thanked 12,137 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vyvanse and Adderall: Maximum Dosage Comparison

Yes, it appears he doesn't understand how much dextroamphetamine is in each dose of Vyvanse. Vyvanse 50mg is roughly equal to around 15-20mg Dexadrine.

Ninety mg of Adderall XR is the equivalent of 45 mg Adderall IR dosed twice, while 60 mg Vyvanse is equivalent to 12.5mg Adderall IR dosed twice. As you said, these dosages are not exact as they are three different substances, but this is probably as close as one can get.

Looks like you are undermedicated (obviously ) Is it not possible to take XR and then IR boosters later in the day? That would give you more control over how long the medication lasts.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Old 04-29-13, 06:09 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Location: you carry your claim wherever you go - bob wier ACE
Thanked 1,480 Times in 928 Posts
Blanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant future

i'm taking my laptop to my pdoc on wed - this thread is what i need to show him...my pdoc is so far so good with talk therapy and script writing but because of the severity and complexity of my case he is stumped i think
this is why i am so sick today...and all week...and i didn't know how to help him help me
i have never had the patience to stick on the meds and i did smoke weed after work for a long time which helped
but
i gotta stick this out now and i'm going to take steps cus that vyvanse should not have ever been given to me and 2mg valium for the anxiety side effect? LOL

and i have a high tolerance to all meds - this is not disability this is a new career

i think the Dr's should be paying YOU for the invaluable info - this try this and that to get 'even' is worse than childbirth

~ Sir Winston Churchill
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-13, 11:49 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,436 Times in 6,274 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

1. The true drug content of the pills is not the same as what you end up getting. Because of Vyvanse's delivery system, you absorb a higher percentage of Vyvanse than you do of Adderall.

2. You're still right, it's not THAT much higher!
Old 05-03-13, 01:51 AM
Contributor

oneup is just really niceoneup is just really niceoneup is just really niceoneup is just really nice

At one point I was on 70 mg vyvance, + 10mg adderall booster in the early evening, but only if I needed to study. It was the best ADHD med combo ever. The insurance might not cover > 70mg vyvance. Its odd that he didn't start you at 70mg.
Old 05-03-13, 06:27 AM
Jr Member

Yummmy is on a distinguished road

I'm on a new regimen of 140mg of Vyvanse with an as needed booster of 20mg in the evening. This is working well for me right now. I'm getting over 12 hours of coverage and am still able to sleep at night with minimal side effects. Right now, I'm experimenting, on the recommendation of my doc, with taking both 70mg pills in the morning at the same time vs. spacing them a few hours apart. So yes, prescribing higher doses happen and with pre-authorization, my insurance pays for the 60 pills a month, making my portion of the script very reasonable. With a state prescription discount card, that the pharmacist applied without me even asking, the Adderall is about $20 for a 30 day supply.
Old 05-03-13, 06:29 AM
Jr Member

Yummmy is on a distinguished road

Just to clarify, the 20mg booster I mentioned above is Adderall.
Old 05-03-13, 10:42 AM
Contributor

Bazinga has a spectacular aura aboutBazinga has a spectacular aura about

My doc has now offered to prescribe Vyvanse for me twice, and twice I have refused. This is helpful for me because now I know for sure that I have no interest in trying it. Thank you for sharing your knowledge...
Myers-Briggs Personality Type: ISFJ

"Do one thing and do it well."
Old 05-18-13, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR549 View Post
Looks like you are undermedicated (obviously ) Is it not possible to take XR and then IR boosters later in the day? That would give you more control over how long the medication lasts.
I am going to discuss that with my doctor, because I think an IR would provide much greater focus for a few hours in the afternoon than would an XR taken at noon. Three x 30mg Adderall XR worked great, but only for the first half of the day.
Old 05-18-13, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanched Dubois View Post
i gotta stick this out now and i'm going to take steps cus that vyvanse should not have ever been given to me and 2mg valium for the anxiety side effect? LOL

and i have a high tolerance to all meds - this is not disability this is a new career

i think the Dr's should be paying YOU for the invaluable info - this try this and that to get 'even' is worse than childbirth
Sorry to hear you have had a difficult experience as well. I do also think it's strange that the doctor prescribed the 2mg Diazepam. Seems like a small amount too, if I remember benzodiazepines that well.

Vyvanse shouldn't cause as much anxiety as Adderall - this is because of levo/dextro isomer differences in peripheral effects, and Vyvanse has dextro, the one that is less likely to theoretically cause anxiousness. But alas, I myself have had more anxiety this past couple weeks on Vyvanse than ever on Adderall. It is not because of over-stimulation from Vyvanse, rather, it is due to the stress of not being able to keep up with schoolwork as well as increased caffiene intake.

Hope you are able to get things sorted out. I feel sometimes that doctors are not as well educated about medications than they should be. Taking the wrong and/or incorrect dosage of a medication can be hugely detrimental to well-being.

I would like to feel as if they know more than I do about these medications. It feels wrong to have educate the doctor about studies/pharmacokinetics of a medication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneup
At one point I was on 70 mg vyvance, + 10mg adderall booster in the early evening, but only if I needed to study. It was the best ADHD med combo ever. The insurance might not cover > 70mg vyvance. Its odd that he didn't start you at 70mg.
Agreed, not sure why I wasn't started at 70mg, being that I was previously on 90mg XR. . .

Still, I am sure increasing from 60mg to 70mg Vyvanse is not going to solve my issues. Glad to hear some people have success with it though.
Old 05-18-13, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummmy View Post
I'm on a new regimen of 140mg of Vyvanse with an as needed booster of 20mg in the evening. This is working well for me right now. I'm getting over 12 hours of coverage and am still able to sleep at night with minimal side effects. Right now, I'm experimenting, on the recommendation of my doc, with taking both 70mg pills in the morning at the same time vs. spacing them a few hours apart. So yes, prescribing higher doses happen and with pre-authorization, my insurance pays for the 60 pills a month, making my portion of the script very reasonable. With a state prescription discount card, that the pharmacist applied without me even asking, the Adderall is about $20 for a 30 day supply.
Wow, thanks for your experience with the insurance and dosage. I really want to mention that to my doctor because that dosage your taking seems to be mathematically more reasonable in equivalency to my past Adderall XR dosage.

Now I am contemplating a few options. Wondering whether I want to return to Adderall XR 3x30mg, increase the Vyvanse dosage by a dramatic amount, or ask for Adderall XR with an IR booster. Leaning towards XR + IR booster, just because I know that the XR has worked for me before and I can't afford to mess around with a Vyvanse dosage that is still ineffective for schoolwork and learning.