ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-05-13, 08:45 PM

Jwolf78 is on a distinguished road
Weight loss as a positive side effect?

I'm thinking the Strattera that I'm on isn't right for me. In the event my Dr. changes me to Adderall I'm wondering if it will help me lose weight as well since I've read it is an off label use. I'm nearly 100lbs overweight right now. Has anyone else had good weight loss results on Adderall? (i.e. peopel who should lose weight anyway?"
Old 05-05-13, 11:31 PM
Jr Member

scrapnel has a spectacular aura aboutscrapnel has a spectacular aura about
Re: Weight loss as a positive side effect?

I'm not really who you're looking for, as I've only been on Adderall for a little over a week, but I'm also about 100 pounds overweight and hoping a good side effect of the Adderall will be weight loss. I know if you search these forums, there are a lot of people who say Adderall suppressed their appetite (and plenty of people who say it didn't). For me, that's been somewhat true. It doesn't make me nauseous, and I can still eat when I'm taking it, though a lot of times I just don't want to, but I find that I'm hungry less often, and less...intensely, I guess.

I don't know what eating habits in particular helped you wind up becoming overweight, but for me it's largely been impulse control issues ("I want Chipotle right now...I'm not that hungry, but I'll get it anyway, and eat all of it") as well as eating too much sugar. Both of those, so far, have GREATLY improved during the short time I've been on Adderall. I don't really get cravings for specific things, even when I am hungry and do want to go get food, and the couple times that I have, I'm just like nah, that's not good for me, let me get something else. Which is a huge difference from before. And most of the time, I just want things like fruit and vegetables and meat -- rarely sugar, and rarely things that are excessive amounts of carbs. I've also been a really, really heavy drinker for the past few years (all the time at home by myself, and 4-6 drinks when I'm out partying with friends), which definitely contributes to being overweight. I've basically stopped drinking at home by myself, and the two times I've been out with friends in the past week, I've only had 2 drinks, and could have stopped at 1. And that isn't something I set out to do, I just find that I don't have that obsessive need to be drinking all the time (which is strange because that usually came from being stressed or depressed or anxious and I have been FAR more of all three of those than usual in the past week due to life happenings).

That's just my personal experience, and of course it will effect everyone differently and change over time. I'll also say, though, that I know the dose I'm on right now (10 mg 2x a day) is too low because the mental effects all but disappeared after the first three days, so if my dosage goes up when I go back in 3 weeks, I'd imagine the appetite/impulse control (and hopefully motivation, bc I need to start going to the gym lol) side effects will change in some way or another as well.

Last edited by scrapnel; 05-05-13 at 11:42 PM..
Old 05-05-13, 11:52 PM

1Buster has a spectacular aura about1Buster has a spectacular aura about

If you get the curbed appetite you can use that to help you lose weight, but only if you take advantage of it and change your eating habits. That's what I did and it worked very well, to a point. Even if you lose weight for a while just by eating less, it will probably level out after a while. I try to snack with healthy-ish stuff during the day to make sure I don't get too hungry. Even on it, you will get hungry and you know what happens if you get too hungry - damn that pizza looks good! So take advantage and exercise too, then pounds will probably come off very quickly for a while.

One caveat - When the meds wear off at night, you will . want . to . eat . a . lot! Not necessarily a lot at once, but you'll keep going back to the pantry or fridge to satisfy the urge.

DX: ADHD - Depression - G.A.D. - Systemic Lupus Erythematosus - Hypertension - Lumbar Arthritis - IBS - Myopia

RX: Adderall IR - BusPar - Clonidine - Plaquenil - Allopurinol - Atenolol - Lisinopril - Ibuprofen - Immodium - Eyeglasses

Past RX: Celexa - Wellbutrin - Vyvanse
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-13, 11:57 PM
Jr Member

scrapnel has a spectacular aura aboutscrapnel has a spectacular aura about

FWIW, as much as I've heard people say they want to eat EVERYTHING when the meds wear off, I haven't personally had that be my experience (so far). I haven't been sticking to any particular routine in terms of either when I take the Adderall or when I eat, but I find I very rarely eat after like 6pm now (am usually awake between 8am and midnight), whereas I used to probably do most of my eating after 6pm. But I think part of that may be that because I am overweight, I've previously had a larger appetite/been able to eat more food, and now that I'm eating less, my appetite is shrinking, meaning that the food I eat during the day ends up being enough and I'm not hungry when the meds do wear off. But I don't know if that's true.
Old 05-06-13, 02:13 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,508 Times in 5,849 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

These drugs used to be marketed as weight-loss medication. They were discontinued for that use because they don't work very well for weight loss. Expect some minor help with your weight-loss program, especially at first, but also expect the weight-loss effect to wear off quickly. Basically for weight loss you're on your own.
Old 05-09-13, 05:58 AM

sunnydaysahead is on a distinguished road

I've lost some weight since starting Adderall,(20 pds in 6mos) but not because of the curbed appetite.
Let me explain....
At first, the first week maybe I did have a decreased apetite, but upon "stabilizing" I'd wake up hungry!!

the ONE BIG thing that's changed for me, is IMPULSE CONTROL.....
nowadays,
when I'm hungry, or thinking about what I'm going to have, I actually can THINK IT THROUGH... instead of just a GRAB N GO, with whatever looks good at that split second in time....

FURTHERMORE......
I don't buy stupid ****, at the store while grocery shopping... you know the colorful little stands with the two dollar (insert stupid item)
I would get home, and two days later, be mad at myself for wasting money!!!!

My Dr. just switched me the ER since it just recently went generic.

****on a sidenote,
I've lost around 90 pounds, in TWO YEARS.... a "steady" 4-6 pounds a month, since I QUIT OPIATES....
i'm absolutely convinced now, they DO slow some people's metabolism.... it's been a small about of weight, slow and steady,,,
but four pounds, times 25 months ADDS UP TO ALOT!!!!!
Please keep in mind ,,, the rule of thumb IS, when you lose it slow like that, IT WILL STAY GONE... becuase you've changed your "lifestyle" not just gone on a "Diet"

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

hope that helps!!!

Recovering opiate/H addict, ADHD & keep sane with
Suboxone 12mg, Strattera 80mg; Adderall XR 20mg

My 5 1/2 yr old son, diagnosed ADHD by age 4,
Began w/Adderall XR 10mg(5/2014) switched to DEXEDRINE, 10mg for duration.Added TENEX 1mg @bed, 7/2014 HOPEFUL that will help wear-off effect--WE are experiencing.

Last edited by sunnydaysahead; 05-09-13 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: spelling/grammar errors....
Old 05-10-13, 05:56 PM
ADDvanced Member

kolaborator will become famous soon enough

Adderall is considered the Holy Grail of fat burners and diet pills. Obviously, its not intended for that and such use would be considered off-label.

This being said, in my opinion anyone who is very overweight - or worse actually considered obese - should be prescribed an appetite-suppressing stimulant. The health risks of obesity are far greater than the risks associated with stimulants.

Diabetes, heart disease, and weakened bones and joints from sedentary lifestyle compounded by continuous lack of cardiovascular exercise will reduce your quality of life to a point that you will have no will left to start making positive changes.

Before I started adderall few years ago, I was overweight according to the BMI, and weighted 230 lbs.. However, I was also 6'5" so the extra pounds were spread out fairly evenly throughout my body, and I exercised routinely so I could have been 180 and looked exactly the same.

Still, I felt the extra stress and pressure being put on my back, knees, ankles, and feet. If I wanted to remain as active later in life, I knew that extra weight would have to go. Ironically, when I actually started taking adderall I shed those extra pounds in no time, dropping to 170 in less than 5 months. I neither planned to lose it this quick, nor was starving myself in any way. The adderall did all the work for me: it suppressed my appetite and the intensity of my exercise went up.

In the first few weeks, the appetite suppression was almost too powerful and after I would take ambien at night, the hunger would sometimes come back with a vengeance. In order to avoid overeating, I would already have a small meal ready that I would eat 15-20 minutes after taking the ambien (as it loses effectiveness if taken on full stomach). I would eat it in less than 5 minutes, go take a shower and brush my teeth, and would fall asleep ~1 hour after taking the ambien, still giving myself about 30 minutes to digest the meal, before lying down.

Long story short, adderall should and likely will help you lose the extra weight. Remember, to still exercise though, especially with weights as those will likely provide a greater benefit than simple cardio alone.
The Following User Says Thank You to kolaborator For This Useful Post:
canolan91 (05-11-13)
Old 05-12-13, 10:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

Nachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to all

In most cases for just plain "Weight Loss", I'd say it's actually a bad thing.

If it helps you eat healthier and start exercising then it's not really a side-effect at all - it's working as intended. If it helps you stop impulse-buying chips and chocolate then it is working as intended. Et cetera. It's a positive effect, but not a side-effect *if* the medication is supposed to help with ADHD.

However, if it simply causes you to stop eating, then it's a negative side-effect. Your body needs energy and if it isn't getting it from the food you eat then it will do two things:

1) Use up its stores of energy (fat, glycogen, protein);
2) Move to a slower metabolic "starvation" mode (which will become more pronounced the longer you starve yourself) in order to stay alive as long as possible on the stored energy.

People who lose weight by starving themselves and then eat a normal diet have a propensity to gain it all back very quickly, and then some, for the second reason.

The reason those people in the "Meth" ads are so messed up is because the drug causes them to stop taking care of themselves. They get sunken cheeks and screwed up skin because they stop eating and taking care of basic hygiene.

Don't use it as the catalyst for losing weight. Use it to improve your lifestyle and diet instead of using its appetite suppressant qualities.
Old 05-12-13, 10:16 PM
Jr Member

lillapoyka is on a distinguished road

it hasn't done anything for me as far as loosing weight goes. I'm eating like a pig
Adderall 20mg 2x day 2 mo.
Adderall 20mg 3x day
Adderall 20mg 3x day and Wellbutrin 150mg 2x day
Old 05-18-13, 05:56 AM
ADDvanced Member

ValliGirl2012 is a glorious beacon of lightValliGirl2012 is a glorious beacon of lightValliGirl2012 is a glorious beacon of lightValliGirl2012 is a glorious beacon of lightValliGirl2012 is a glorious beacon of light

Exercise routine, drinking water and eating right should suffice.