ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 12-11-15, 12:47 PM

Khamy25 is just really niceKhamy25 is just really niceKhamy25 is just really niceKhamy25 is just really nice
Re: medicating my son and why I loved him enough to try

Hi,

Yes it's true we don't know if these stories are true or not. I made a search about the Dr Melilo's brain balance centre. He states he cured hundred children with adhd, autism.... but no scientific proof. It cost around $6000 for 3 months 1 hour session weekly, with his brand supplements to buy and a diet. I found out many wasted their money no improvement or just a little bit but when you read some success stories (true or false) you imagine it could be your child then I feel guilty to choose medication.

Fortunately I have my husband who is a scientific who opens my eyes otherwise I would try anything that could help to avoid medication.

I apologize for my weird writing I'm French .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Khamy25 For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-09-16), ginniebean (04-11-16)
Old 12-11-15, 04:49 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,172 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

Medication is key. Right medication right dose.

Good medical advice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pilgrim For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-11-16), ginniebean (04-11-16)
Old 12-11-15, 05:12 PM

Khamy25 is just really niceKhamy25 is just really niceKhamy25 is just really niceKhamy25 is just really nice

Yes you're right but it's not an easy decision.

I apologize for my weird writing I'm French .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Khamy25 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-16, 01:02 PM

Mom23kids is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much for this. My son is almost 7 and was just diagnosed and put on medication. I worry so much that medicating him is going to hurt him in the long run and he is just going to become dependent on medication to function. Your post gives me hope that he'll be ok. Was your son able to stop taking his meds completely or did he try something new?
Thanks so much.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mom23kids For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-16, 04:08 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,807 Times in 13,544 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom23kids View Post
Thank you so much for this. My son is almost 7 and was just diagnosed and put on medication. I worry so much that medicating him is going to hurt him in the long run and he is just going to become dependent on medication to function. Your post gives me hope that he'll be ok. Was your son able to stop taking his meds completely or did he try something new?
Thanks so much.
Well the summer between freshman and sophomore year he took a little break from meds. (his choice).
He left all of his summer work til August and resumed taking the meds. One hot summer day he decided he didnt want to take them anymore. He had his reasons I guess so I told him how I felt and left it up to him. I told him to have an open mind and that maybe one day he could try them again. He is 20 now and is in that phase we all go through as we become adults and started seeing a therapist and asked me to call our doctor to talk about meds again. Again, his choice. I will never and have never forced any of my kids to take medication against their will.
My oldest daughter tried meds in third grade and could not tolerate meds and we tried many meds. When she was 13 she asked to try them again and found one that worked. But like her brother at 15 she said she didnt want meds anymore.
My youngest daughter tried off an on, many meds between second and third grade and she couldnt tolerate them so she remains unmedicated. I wish they would work for her.

So alot of people might see my passionate posts and sometimes blunt remarks and assume that I am someone who wants a pill for everything but thats not it. I have three adhd kids who benefited enormously from meds. I now have three unmedicated kids who, while taking meds were able to learn healthy coping skills, self awareness, passion, skills and confidence.

I have seen the extraordinary ways that meds can help a child. And I have seen my share of problems and side effects. I am not pro-med as in nothing else will work, but I am mom who reads real research with citations and peer reviewed. The facts are, meds are a first line treatment for adhd and when they work they change the destiny of our kids' lives- for the better.

Because I have walked both sides of the road its pretty hard for the anit and pro-med people to slam me as full of crap. And I feel like if I can put one parent's life at ease, then I have and will continue to pay it forward.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-11-16), casper (09-11-16), Little Missy (05-11-17), maple17 (08-22-16)
Old 04-11-16, 10:21 PM

Thanked 13,263 Times in 5,904 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom23kids View Post
I worry so much that...he is just going to become dependent on medication to function.
Thereís nothing wrong with dependence.

Many people are dependent on medications, devices, social supports, etc., to function in their daily lives.

Their quality of life would be significantly less without them.

Iím dependent on my meds, and I am grateful and thankful that I have the opportunity to be every day.

I only wonder what could have been possible, and what could have been avoided, had I been diagnosed
and medicated early in life.

Cheers,
Ian
Lunacie (04-12-16), sarahsweets (04-12-16)
Old 05-19-16, 10:24 PM

juneyam is on a distinguished road

Thank you for sharing your story, it is an encouraging read during a difficult time.
The Following User Says Thank You to juneyam For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-19-16)
Old 09-09-16, 06:50 PM

Lbarry320 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for letting me know about this post. I see a few similarities and we are planning to take him for evaluation. The dysgraphia is something I've looked into bc of his reading/writing tests that have come back from his teacher. She always says he doesn't use relevant information from the text and that his paragraphs don't make sense. I've seen it in his homework. Again, thank you. This helps out for extra insight.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lbarry320 For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-09-16)
Old 04-12-17, 04:18 PM

luckBeIllusory is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much for posting this! Some people don't understand how dangerous our children's ADHD is untreated. (I know I almost had a heart attack a couple times when my son was distracted and could have gotten really hurt) And we do whats best for them. I made the decision when my son was 5 because he was already desperately hating school, kids made fun of him, and he lost his confidence. I think each parent knows what's right for their kids and for mine it was medication and diet change. I respect all opinions, though. Its hurtful, though, when it's people who don't have a special needs child, or sometimes no kids at all. I don't just pop pills in my son's mouth and send him to school. I monitor his diet, I follow a schedule, I work on structure, I have extra meetings with teachers and principals, take him to behavioral therapy, give him scheduled medication "holidays", take him to the doctor every month to monitor his weight and growth, etc. Parents of special needs children do not have it "easy". Im not a confrontational person,but man deep down I want to publicly shame them, not for having their beliefs, but for having the nerve to try and shame me as if I don't love my child and I'm just doing what's easy for me. And man am I Sorry for the heated tone there at the end. I think I'm still upset about an incident I had 2 days ago and the topic was my son's medication, from a non-parent no less. I have to find a way to put this incident out of my mind because I feel livid again.

Im grateful you posted this because I needed to hear this. Thank You.
Old 05-11-17, 03:52 PM

Tzonefitness is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much for this. My son was diagnosed one year ago. I wanted to try everything I knew first in a natural way. He is now becoming violent (age of 8) at school and has begged me to help make his brain stop hurting I know it's time now
The Following User Says Thank You to Tzonefitness For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (05-11-17)
Old 05-11-17, 04:35 PM

Thanked 24,122 Times in 11,160 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzonefitness View Post
Thank you so much for this. My son was diagnosed one year ago. I wanted to try everything I knew first in a natural way. He is now becoming violent (age of 8) at school and has begged me to help make his brain stop hurting I know it's time now
It's a shame that meds for mental health are still seen as such horrors as to
only use them as a last resort. If the doctor says our child has strep throat we
don't decide to go home and give Tylenol and warm salt gargles. Antibiotics
are the first and best treatment.

It's not quite that simple with ADHD because the meds don't work the same
way for everyone so there is some testing to see which one works best. But
still, the category of stimulant meds has a very long and well researched
history of being the most effective treatment, especially when coupled with
talk therapy.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Tzonefitness (05-11-17)
Old 05-12-17, 08:18 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Caco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
It's a shame that meds for mental health are still seen as such horrors as to
only use them as a last resort. If the doctor says our child has strep throat we
don't decide to go home and give Tylenol and warm salt gargles. Antibiotics
are the first and best treatment.

It's not quite that simple with ADHD because the meds don't work the same
way for everyone so there is some testing to see which one works best. But
still, the category of stimulant meds has a very long and well researched
history of being the most effective treatment, especially when coupled with
talk therapy.
I now have both my children on ADHD meds, and I truly think that is better in the long run than trying diet changes or other "first options". I don't see it as any different than using glasses, or a prosthetic arm, or a knee brace, or allergy medicine. They needed help for a medical condition, and they got it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-13-17), Fuzzy12 (05-12-17), Lunacie (05-12-17), maple17 (05-12-17)