ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 02-10-05, 08:35 PM

shrewdfool is on a distinguished road
Red face I'm a NEWBIE: But Does my Adderall really work?? I need help.

t off, I want to thank anyone who is reading this and hopefully I can get as many opinions, pieces of advice, or helpful insight as possible from you all. I think this board is great, and is much, much needed. I've found it to be of great help already, honestly. I hope you read this all the way through, because I need some help or advice from people who've been there before.

I was just recently diagnosed with ADD, maybe a month ago. I dont think I ever had it as a child, or at least, never exhibited symptoms from it. In high school, probably not much, other than general inability to concentrate of textbooks or things of that sort. Probably not very apparent if I was disorganized, because for one, I didnt have that much to do, other than homework, and two: my parents would probably yell at me to clean stuff up and fix up my room. But I've always excelled in school with no problems. Top of my class. In college, it kinda all went downhill. My dorm room was in shambles, I had a lot of trouble reading and finishing textbooks and projects. I put in lots of work to achieve I guess would be above average output, but certainly not high-caliber work. Anyway, I always joked around that I had ADD, and even though I had the classic symptons, I was very apprehensive to go to a doctor, let alone admit something like this is possible.
(sorry, there's a question soon!)

Anyway, I'm 27 now, and I guess I've seen a steady decline. I lose a lot more things, run a lot later, my desk at work and my apartment is a complete disaster, forget a lot of things, etc. You all get the picture. I finally go and was diagnosed. She prescribed Adderall XR for me. I kinda read about the meds, and it seemed like Adderall had the least side effects, so I was at least willing to try it. (this is coming from a person who doesn't smoke, drink, even take aspirin unless it's necessary). So I was given the basic instructions to start low at 10mg (breaking up a pill of 20) and do it for a few days and move to 20 for a few, and then escalate upwards...at least until i felt i was too jittery and i would know then that the amount I should be taking is just below that. So I take 10mg for a little, the first few days, I was zoned out, as if I was dazed. There were a few days I forgot it, and then I moved to 20mg by my next appt to see the Dr. It still felt weird, but I wasnt' sure if it was working or not working or what. She tells me that no one ever told her they feel zoned out from it and that it should be easily apparent if it's working or not. People say it should be eye opening, like an epiphany and a monkey has been taken off of them. Well I certainly didnt feel that. She advised I move up the dosage like she had told me before...25mg, 30, 40, 50g, and 60g. Stop if I feel jittery or hyper.

So I do that. So it's been about a month on this. I've taken each increment for about 3 days, and I am already up to 50mg, and honestly I dont feel any different, well not remarkably different anyway. I can't say it's eye opening and that I have great concentration now. So here are my questions or I guess concerns:

1) is this even possible? I mean I understood that say I had nothing wrong with me to begin with, if i take even 5mg of this stuff, I'd go bonkers..like on a cocaine high or something. I'm already up to 50. How high am I supposed to go? I'm kinda of worried about going too high, but I still don't feel significant effects.

2) Can Adderall not work on people? Even at this high a dosage? I mean my dopamines must be severely screwed up for this to happen.

3) Is this a function of how bad I have ADD? I'm starting to wonder to myself how F-ed up am I? if it takes like 70mgs to help, how bad did I have it before?

4) Should I ask to try something else? If so, what? what would work in my situation? Especially in light of today's Adderall XR news in Canada, perhaps it's a good time.

5) Could I just not even HAVE ADD at all? as in "good" is already what I had always seen?

6) anyone had this problem? I look at the poll about what everyone's dosage was and it was most low, the big cluster being in the 20mg range. So I don't know. Should I worry? Any advice?

Thanks for all your help. This is my first time here, but all you guys have help me a lot by posting so I can read and learn more. I'm gonna post this to the other threads, because I dont know where it's really supposed to go, but I need some advise soon.
Thanks again. -Len
Old 04-24-12, 09:07 PM
Contributor

escott has disabled reputation
Re: I'm a NEWBIE: But Does my Adderall really work?? I need help.

1. yes it is possible you were misdiagnosed.
2. Human chemistry is different for anyone.
3.Well we all have our problems and if you have to take a pill a day to have a better existence than it is worth it. Yes I have felt broken at times my self for similar reasons.
4.If the medication was causing you problems or you were scared about it then there is about 20 other meds you could take.
5. We all have different body chemistry, Ever since I had four major surgeries my tolerance for anything is high and most meds dont work on me any more.
Old 04-24-12, 09:43 PM
Contributor

I think you need to sit down with a Psychiatrist and go over all your concerns. You need to feel comfortable with what you are taking.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-12, 04:20 PM
Jr Member

hermitix will become famous soon enough

I was on Concerta for a bit and I kept upping the dose to no avail. I went to my doctor and she said some people do well on one medicine, and others dont have any effect. It is possible that is happening to you with Adderall and need to try a different class of drugs.
Old 04-25-12, 06:49 PM
ADDvanced Wookiee ADDvocate

Thanked 6,177 Times in 2,899 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

That's an incredibly high dose (50mg), you would know by now if it had a positive effect. You need to try a different class of amphetamine. The first time I took it, I could notice a difference at 10mg(xr) and hit the jittery feeling around 20mg (xr). It takes more than that now that I've been taking it for a while and my body has adjusted but 20mg is still usually enough with a cup of coffee. How do you know it works: you'll sit more still than you've ever sat, you'll feel as if you can shoot errant thoughts out of mid air with an imaginary focus-gun, to some extent you'll visually see things a bit clearer (like when you adjust the aperture in a camera to change the depth-of-field). It's a noticeable change in focus when it works.

I tried Ritalin in the past and it only gave me headaches. The first couple days, I felt so much like a zombie on Ritalin that I was afraid to take it a third day and decided to take the weekend off. When I finally tried it again, I had a headache for a week straight and no improvement in concentration. After a week, the headache went away and I first doubled and later tripled the dose with no notable improvement in concentration. Adderaal works like a charm for me while Ritalin does nothing at all at a much higher dose. So, yeah, people react differently. Good luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
AddYourAll (05-01-12), escott (04-25-12)
Old 04-26-12, 10:39 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,141 Times in 7,733 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
That's an incredibly high dose (50mg), you would know by now if it had a positive effect. You need to try a different class of amphetamine. The first time I took it, I could notice a difference at 10mg(xr) and hit the jittery feeling around 20mg (xr). It takes more than that now that I've been taking it for a while and my body has adjusted but 20mg is still usually enough with a cup of coffee. How do you know it works: you'll sit more still than you've ever sat, you'll feel as if you can shoot errant thoughts out of mid air with an imaginary focus-gun, to some extent you'll visually see things a bit clearer (like when you adjust the aperture in a camera to change the depth-of-field). It's a noticeable change in focus when it works.

I tried Ritalin in the past and it only gave me headaches. The first couple days, I felt so much like a zombie on Ritalin that I was afraid to take it a third day and decided to take the weekend off. When I finally tried it again, I had a headache for a week straight and no improvement in concentration. After a week, the headache went away and I first doubled and later tripled the dose with no notable improvement in concentration. Adderaal works like a charm for me while Ritalin does nothing at all at a much higher dose. So, yeah, people react differently. Good luck.

The recommended daily maximum dose for adults with adhd is 40mg and for narcolepsy is 60mg. So many people without narcolepsy do wonderful with 50 or 60 Mg. But I agree with you ..the op would know hy now if it worked and being jittery is a sign of to high a dosage.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
escott (04-26-12)
Old 04-26-12, 12:39 PM
Contributor

It took me years, with my doctor, to figure out, what works for me to a point of functionality. It was an awful experience and the frustration was horrible. Not everyone responds the same way to medications. For example I had four serious operations and now medication sometimes works or I get no effect. You are going to find something that works. Some people instantly get the amount they need for their issues some people it takes years. I'm not saying that's the case here but understand its a process not an exact science. If it takes 70 mg of Adderall then that's what it takes. Or maybe its another medication. I know it's not fun but you have to have a good quality of life. My suggestion to you is be honest, work with your Dr and find a solution that works. If people want to play doctor and pretend they are prescribing experts take what you want and leave the rest. It is infuriating, at least to me, when people make you feel bad because you have a different body chemistry than them. Doctors prescribe what works without putting your life in danger. There is two schools of thoughts with Drs a. follow what the prescribing information says or b. have there own prescribing manual, from experience of treating thousands of patients. And the body works differently for any and everyone. Point is you do what's best for you discuss it with your doctors and do what they say. If there was any reservations about prescribing something they wouldn't do it. Doctors go by what they have experience with. It is by no means an exact science. You have to do whatever you have to do to feel better and if some doesn't agree with what you and your dr are doing tell them it's non of their business. The solution will present itself but in response to some meds working and not on other people is absolutely a reasonable concept. You can be resistant to something others aren't. There are plenty other options. Give time time to work. Don't beat yourself up and do what is best for you. I can certainly relay stories of others who have gone through the same things you are going through and if you ever feel a need to chat I am always available. If you need Dr referrals please just let me know.
escott
Old 04-26-12, 01:04 PM
ADDvanced Wookiee ADDvocate

Thanked 6,177 Times in 2,899 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
The recommended daily maximum dose for adults with adhd is 40mg and for narcolepsy is 60mg. So many people without narcolepsy do wonderful with 50 or 60 Mg. But I agree with you ..the op would know hy now if it worked and being jittery is a sign of to high a dosage.
I should have been more clear, I meant it is a high starting dose and most likely a high enough dosage that the OP would feel something...

Am I reading what you said correctly? That the recommended max dose is 40mg, however many people take 50-60mg? Are you saying that many people don't see a benefit unless they exceed the recommended max dose?
Old 04-26-12, 01:30 PM
Contributor

I think that someone was simply stating that medication, atleast in these situations, is not an exact science. Yes, I think that if you need to go beyond the recommended dose with a doctor telling you to do it isn't wrong. For those people that drugs are effective according to government standards are very lucky.
Old 04-26-12, 07:32 PM
Contributor

Smile Re: I'm a NEWBIE: But Does my Adderall really work?? I need help.

I'm not sure why everyone is giving this poor woman conflicting information. The drug is adjustable. Bottom line, you cant argue with that. If something works for you at certain level that's great, that level doesn't have to be the baseline for everyone. If she needs more then the recommended dose that others are stable with that does not mean everyone has to follow that standard, It might not even effect someone at that level. Psychiatry is not an absolute science. If you get it on the first try that's awesome but it usually never happens like that.
Old 04-27-12, 06:23 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,227 Times in 3,057 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

I listened to this podcast yesterday about correct dosing and med effectiveness.
It covers a lot of excellent information-
http://www.corepsychblog.com/2011/11...-how-to-audio/