ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-13, 10:25 AM
ADDvanced Member

by_design is a jewel in the roughby_design is a jewel in the roughby_design is a jewel in the rough
Remembering events

I am finding out how serious my memory deficit is. So because I am in my head most of the time hyperfocusing, I don't maintain a lot of awareness to what is happening in my life. Consequently, I can't seem to remember any specific details to events that has happened in my life. Some events I can't remember at all, such as when I bought my car. Is it common for adults with ADHD to have problems processing memories?
The Following User Says Thank You to by_design For This Useful Post:
Raye (06-08-13)
Old 06-07-13, 12:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,323 Times in 1,307 Posts
Tmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Remembering events

Yes I have experienced this. I do not have specific memory to events in my life. I missed details on many important things from my past, so now I keep a journal and I take pictures everywhere I go.
Knee surgery, Moving, Special events, kids events, trips, vactions. I keep a calendar that I can right on and I keep pictures listed in my computer in a marked folder with dates and details.
I have done this for the past 10 years. I can pull out a calendar and tell you exactly what was going on that year, month and day. I could never do that before in a million years. Its kind of nice actually!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tmoney For This Useful Post:
Raye (06-08-13), someothertime (06-08-13)
Old 06-07-13, 01:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

erratic is a glorious beacon of lighterratic is a glorious beacon of lighterratic is a glorious beacon of lighterratic is a glorious beacon of lighterratic is a glorious beacon of light

Though I'm sure I missed many details, I have a good recollection of the impression/perception I had as well as the visual spacial relation within the memories(the impression is stronger)- The memory is remembered through the spatial relations but that's in fragments, within those fragments, each perception/impression is quite clear. I'll have a main impression/vantage point that was prominent which comes into my head and further memory builds from that. Finding the memory can be a challenge at times but once I find I relevant point, the strings/connections can be made.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to erratic For This Useful Post:
by_design (06-07-13), Raye (06-08-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-13, 01:13 PM
Contributor

courier is just really nicecourier is just really nicecourier is just really nicecourier is just really nice

i have a selective memory i'm told.
The Following User Says Thank You to courier For This Useful Post:
Raye (06-08-13)
Old 06-07-13, 01:27 PM
Contributor

Meagan has a spectacular aura aboutMeagan has a spectacular aura about

My memory is terrible.
Raye (06-08-13)
Old 06-08-13, 05:34 AM

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,485 Posts
Raye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if it's ADHD related or not, but there's some things I can't remember happening. I know in 2003 I moved 180 miles away from the town I was born & raised in, yet can't remember the details of it.

"Oh Happy Day"
-Tmoney-
The Following User Says Thank You to Raye For This Useful Post:
Tmoney (06-10-13)
Old 06-08-13, 05:36 AM

Thanked 6,474 Times in 3,091 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

I have crystal clear memories from when I was 2.

Ask me what I had for dinner yesterday and i'd be scratching my head for hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
tudorose (06-10-13)
Old 06-08-13, 09:24 AM
mod-estly regulated

Thanked 5,447 Times in 2,992 Posts
someothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond repute

I mostly remember events. But I lose any learning or positive impact from them.

Sometimes people discuss conversations they've had with me and their recollection us vastly different to mine, so perhaps I don't have an accurate "factual" memory when it cones to true interaction rather I remember the feeling I had at the time...
~ SB_UK ~
The Following User Says Thank You to someothertime For This Useful Post:
Tmoney (06-10-13)
Old 06-08-13, 12:40 PM

genluc83 is on a distinguished road

My problem with memory is I am able to remember the unimportant things, the things that in a given situation don't particularly matter. However the things I am supposed to remember, things considered important, I completely forget.

My theory is if it's something that truly matters to me or something that elicits a strong emotional feeling I'll subconsciously focus on it and remember. However with most other things, while important to function in life, don't really matter to me and are not able to make that emotional connection in my mind, so I forget them. I'm also daydreaming or "in my mind" a lot so that doesn't help the situation either.

Rememberinng what a girlfriend wore 10 years ago on our first date: easy. remembering what I was talking to her about 30 seconds ago because in the middle of the conversation I went off on a tangent: near impossible.
The Following User Says Thank You to genluc83 For This Useful Post:
navyjake9019 (06-10-13)
Old 06-08-13, 01:09 PM
Artisan of Shenanigans

Thanked 4,772 Times in 3,106 Posts
Conman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond repute

my memory is infamously awful to those who know me. i cant tell you what i did specifically in relation to events in past week unless it really was memorable (like really good or really bad), if it's more than 2 weeks ago youre out of luck

but i can still remember the most stupid, minute, random things from years ago with perfect clarity

-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 06-09-13, 03:51 PM
Contributor

damnthedoodle is a jewel in the roughdamnthedoodle is a jewel in the roughdamnthedoodle is a jewel in the rough

My memory works like Conman describes above. It is absolutely terrible for the most part
Old 06-09-13, 04:09 PM

ZombieCake is on a distinguished road

I often forget what people started talking about when they're talking to me.. And often just respond with Yes or Yeah sure eventho I have no idea what the heck they're talking about.

And sometimes I say like: Hey I'm lost can you say all that again? and they're just looking at me in a werid way
The Following User Says Thank You to ZombieCake For This Useful Post:
by_design (06-09-13)
Old 06-09-13, 04:32 PM
Contributor

damnthedoodle is a jewel in the roughdamnthedoodle is a jewel in the roughdamnthedoodle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieCake View Post
I often forget what people started talking about when they're talking to me.. And often just respond with Yes or Yeah sure eventho I have no idea what the heck they're talking about.

"Smile and nod" is my motto.
The Following User Says Thank You to damnthedoodle For This Useful Post:
ZombieCake (06-11-13)
Old 06-10-13, 02:59 AM

Thanked 2,996 Times in 1,531 Posts
SquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond repute

My memory is terrible. I realise how bad when my teens were being diagnosed for ADHD and I was asked questions about milestones etc and I couldnīt remember any of the answers. I have no idea what age they could walk, talk etc. I felt like the worst mother in the world.

I remember very little about my school days or childhood. I am in touch with some old school friends on FB and they can remember loads of names of pupils, whereas I only remember around 8, because they were close friends.

I have poor concept of time, and canīt remember if events happened 1 year ago or 10. If I have a discussion about a film, tv or book then I always get the events wrong or I donīt remember what happened. I tend to only remember whether I liked a book or not, I canīt remember what it was about.
Old 06-10-13, 09:29 AM
ADDvanced Member

navyjake9019 has a spectacular aura aboutnavyjake9019 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by genluc83 View Post
My problem with memory is I am able to remember the unimportant things, the things that in a given situation don't particularly matter. However the things I am supposed to remember, things considered important, I completely forget.

My theory is if it's something that truly matters to me or something that elicits a strong emotional feeling I'll subconsciously focus on it and remember. However with most other things, while important to function in life, don't really matter to me and are not able to make that emotional connection in my mind, so I forget them. I'm also daydreaming or "in my mind" a lot so that doesn't help the situation either.

Rememberinng what a girlfriend wore 10 years ago on our first date: easy. remembering what I was talking to her about 30 seconds ago because in the middle of the conversation I went off on a tangent: near impossible.
I never really thought about it, but @genluc83 you just described me perfectly. Thanks for the insight.

To mods: sorry I didn't actually contribute anything to the actual thread, but this was kinda profound for me and I thought it deserved more than a "Thanks" button-push.