ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 02-16-05, 07:17 AM
ADDvanced Member

Mee is on a distinguished road
Anxiety and insomnia

There seems to be many here that seem to have the same problem I had when it comes to stimulant medication causing anxiety and insomnia . When we are finally diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed stimulates it feels almost miraculous as if for the first time in our lives we know what it must feel like for people who are so called normal . The only problem is the ADHD medication increases the anxiety and insomnia . I know for me when this happened the Dr.'s started to prescribe other medication ( antidepressants and benzos) for the side effects I was now having from the ADHD meds . When the side effects from those meds kicked in then I think it becomes harder to get the stimulant medication right becuase of all the drugs you are then on .

Again I know there are many here who do not and have not had this scenario but for me and the people I see on this board with a similar dilemma I have this question . Is it possible to get the wonderful relief that stimulants give an ADHD sufferer by getting the drug and the dosage right without having to take other drugs for the side effects of the stimulants . Or do you think that some of us will just have to take other medications for the anxiety and insomnia that stimulants bring on if we want to keep taking stimulant meds for our ADHD . As I read through many post here I see people like myself who would like to just take 1 drug for their ADHD and not a combination . For some it is very frustrating to discover these ADHD drugs that miraculously make us feel better almost instantly but then have to take other drugs to counteract the side effects of anxiety and insomnia especially when they start to wear off .
Old 02-16-05, 11:40 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

free2bme has disabled reputation
[quote=Mee] Is it possible to get the wonderful relief that stimulants give an ADHD sufferer by getting the drug and the dosage right without having to take other drugs for the side effects of the stimulants . Or do you think that some of us will just have to take other medications for the anxiety and insomnia that stimulants bring on if we want to keep taking stimulant meds for our ADHD/QUOTE]

I was on an antianxiety agent before the adhd dx. Afterwards, the anxiety decreased markedly and now I don't take anything. In fact, I never got my last script filled. As for the sleep, yeah that's an issue for many. I don't have that problem either, though. I am a definite nightowl just bc it's the only time this house is quiet, but I think it boils down to the time of day at which a person takes their last dose....at least in a lot of cases. And of course, many find the problem disappears once they figure out the best medication for them. Oh, and if I didn't make it clear, I'm only on one med now, which definitely makes me happy. Just my opinion...

"After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music." Angela Monet
Old 02-16-05, 11:53 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
A great many people with ADHD had issues with anxiety and insomnia long before they started taking stimulants. It's quite common for people to find relief from their anxiety from the stimulants themselves - it comes from increased confidence in their abilities, as they feel less likely to make mistakes when taking their meds. It is not unheard of that a light dose of stimulant will help some insomniacs to sleep, as it quiets their racing mind.
Stimulants can make some people anxious, especially those who are prone to anxiety in the first place - they can make the anxiety worse, and sometimes cause panic attacks - this is one of the reasons that doctors start patients off on small doses, so they can get used to the effects slowly, lessening the chance of an anxiety attack. Insomnia is a more common side effect of stimulants and can be problematic. As long as enough time passes between when you take your pill and when you go to bed, the drug should have worn off and falling asleep shouldn't be a problem - but you have to get the timing right! This can sometimes be difficult when taking extended release medication, so if you are having problems falling asleep, one possible solution might be a switch to regular release stimulants which are easier to control - you can take a smaller dose, earlier in the afternoon if you find it keeps you awake.
Most doctors won't prescribe sleep aids or anti-anxiety medications in the long term simply to counter the effects of another medication, unless that medication had other profound benefits that outweighed the risks. A prudent doctor would change medications and dosages in order to find a solution before taking the step of prescribing additional drugs.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-05, 09:07 PM

cualexander is on a distinguished road
yeah anxiety and insomnia are a big problem for me. the thing is that i didn't start taking adderall until age 23(i'm 24 now), and it really helped me get certain things on track like focus at work, my weight, my confidence etc, but it also brought to light other things that I had been putting off dealing with such as my ever increasing debts. Its like I woke up from this haze and now everything that i've been putting off for so long is just hitting me all at once like a ton of bricks.

My doc prescriped Xanax for anxiety, and it helps a lot but too much sometimes because I'm so not anxious at all that I get overconfident about things and then overdo things to the extreme or worry less about things that I really need to worry about.

Its like I have so many variables in my life and then taking two medications along with smoking cigarettes, just puts a strain on things. Then add to the mix that the social pass time of the weekends these days of my age group seems to be drinking as much as possible. Sometimes I'm just overwhelmed by everything, then sometimes I feel great about life and I don't worry as much as I should.

I don't know if I'm coming or going these days and it seems when I start talking about my problems to friends, I end up just depressing both myself and them more. I just want to give up entirely sometimes, but I know there has got to be light at the end of the tunnel because everything just seems to fall together perfectly sometimes, only for me to screw it up all over again.

Its a vicious circle really and I don't know what to do.
Old 06-08-05, 01:26 AM

sweetmama is on a distinguished road
I had all the issues with Adderall(anxiety, dry mouth, insomnia, etc) in the first 2 months on it and they were VERY important to me and I needed to find out as much as possible about the drug and the side effects. But, they are all gone now and I just dont care as much anymore, I just take my meds. everyday and go on about my life. I do believe that Adderall is a miracle drug in my case, I was walking around in a cloud for 30 years and the sun has broken through since being on Adderall.
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetmama For This Useful Post:
tpiroq (12-24-11)
Old 06-10-05, 09:26 PM
ADDvanced Member

Xanax and Adderall bad combo
Old 06-12-05, 12:24 AM

cualexander is on a distinguished road
This I do know, but what to do about it I don't. No one knows I take these two drugs except me and my doctor, and my doctor I only see every three months and I can barely afford that. I can't bring myself to tell my parents. They have enough anxiety as it is without worrying more about me. I don't know what to do.
Old 06-12-05, 12:31 AM
Contributor

relvinnian has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by cualexander
This I do know, but what to do about it I don't. No one knows I take these two drugs except me and my doctor, and my doctor I only see every three months and I can barely afford that. I can't bring myself to tell my parents. They have enough anxiety as it is without worrying more about me. I don't know what to do.
Alex,

Get off the Xanax if you can, while you can! Xanax is great short-acting compound to relieve panic attacks, but it should not be taken for the long-term treatment of anxiety OR panic attacks. Xanax is a fiercely addicting drug, even in small therapeutic doses. First switch to Ativan, another drug of the same class which is longer acting, then look into more long-term treatments. If it's that bad, think about Lyrica.

Good luck
Old 06-12-05, 01:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Get off the Xanax if you can, while you can! Xanax is great short-acting compound to relieve panic attacks, but it should not be taken for the long-term treatment of anxiety OR panic attacks. Xanax is a fiercely addicting drug, even in small therapeutic doses. First switch to Ativan, another drug of the same class which is longer acting, then look into more long-term treatments
well said
Old 12-24-11, 01:03 PM

tpiroq is on a distinguished road
Re: Anxiety and insomnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by relvinnian View Post
Alex,

Get off the Xanax if you can, while you can! Xanax is great short-acting compound to relieve panic attacks, but it should not be taken for the long-term treatment of anxiety OR panic attacks. Xanax is a fiercely addicting drug, even in small therapeutic doses. First switch to Ativan, another drug of the same class which is longer acting, then look into more long-term treatments. If it's that bad, think about Lyrica.

Good luck
Alex, curious about what you mean regarding lyrica. Intake this at night for non ADDrelated aspect. What relief from stimulant symptoms do you find? Do you take it inthe daytime?