ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 07-03-13, 04:38 PM

Cytosol is on a distinguished road
Vyvanse >>>> Adderall XR (for me)

I had been on Adderall XR for over a year. I'd gone up and down doses quite a bit to try and find the sweet spot. I was taking 3 doses of 10mg (morning, aft, early evening) and this seemed to work okay for me. However, I always had weird side effects.. Headaches, dizziness, eye aches, bloodshot eyes, and felt jittery. I had euphoria sometimes as well. While yes, euphoria feels good, it was NOT a symptom I wanted to deal with because I felt it clouded my mind. It did help with my ADD, but usually only for short periods of time. Sometimes I would take it and just feel like hell the entire day, and I have no idea why.

I spoke with my doctor about switching to Vyvanse. I've been taking 20mg every day and holy hell, what an incredible difference. The effect is so smooth and subtle. I don't feel side effects, I don't feel euphoria, I don't feel jittery. It just lifts that proverbial fog in my mind and seems to last the entire freaking day.

It's still early to tell if Vyvanse will work for me long-term, but after a week i'm just amazed by how well it's working. 20mg is a very small dose, and I feel I might have to eventually bump it up a bit, but I'm very happy with the effect I'm having right now.

Just to be clear, am NOT suggesting Vyvanse is a better treatment. I just wanted to share my experience and say it was better for me. However, I would suggest that anyone having a similar experience with Adderall XR give Vyvanse a try.
Old 07-03-13, 08:53 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Nate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud of
Re: Vyvanse >>>> Adderall XR (for me)

I've taken both. Like you say, there is a lack of jitteriness (sp?) with Vyvanse that you get with Adderall. That is because Vyvanse converts only to dextroamphetamine. Adderall is 75% dextroamphetamine and 25% levoamphetamine. Some people need the levoamphetamine for motivation, but it can make you jumpy and nervous and sweaty and raise bloodpressure. Some people like dextroamphetamine better.

Another option is dextroamphetamine, instead of Vyvanse, or Vyvanse and a 5 mg dextroamphetamine instant release booster or two after the Vyvanse therapeutic value fades (after about 5-6 hours, for most people).

For me, Vyvanse came on too strong and dropped off too fast and was too intense. I tried the 40 mg ones. You get a lot better control with dextroamphetamine IR tablets. I take that, at 30 mg per day. Acidic foods and juice does lower effectiveness, though, and does not lower Vyvanse's effectiveness.

Although 16 mg dextroamphetamine equates to 40 mg Vyvanse, molecularly, the therapeutic ratio is about 40 mg Vyvanse equals about 30 mg dextroamphetamine. The bioavailability of Vyvanse is almost 100% and dextroamphetamine's is about 40 - 80%.

These should tell you just about all you wouold ever want to know about these medications:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dextroamphetamine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levoamphetamine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adderall

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vyvanse

--Nate
The Following User Says Thank You to Nate W For This Useful Post:
lakelight (07-13-13)
Old 07-03-13, 08:59 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,053 Times in 1,979 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vyvanse >>>> Adderall XR (for me)

You would have been better posting this in the Vyvanse section of the forum.

If it's about the positive effects of a medication over another, then it's probably better being in the section of the medication that works best.