ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 07-13-13, 08:15 PM

reese07 is on a distinguished road
Correct dosage and timing for MCAT (newly diagnosed)

I was diagnosed a week ago with ADHD and was prescribed 10mg of Adderall once a day. However, after taking it for a week I feel like the effects arent as strong. I took 20mg at 1:00pm today and 5mg around 3:30 and I was able to focus better but felt like the extra 5mg got me way too focused where I had trouble pacing myself during my practice test. My test is in a week and I want to know the best way to take my Adderall the morning of my exam. Since it starts at 8:00am, I was planning on taking 20mg at 7:30am and another 5mg right before 8:00am because the Verbal and Bio section will be towards the middle and end of the exam and I wanted the full effects of being focused when I hit those sections. I have the generic brand (blue pill) thats IR i think. What do you guys suggest?
Old 07-14-13, 04:58 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,208 Times in 7,311 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Correct dosage and timing for MCAT (newly diagnosed)

what does your doctor recommend?

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (07-14-13), namazu (07-14-13)
Old 07-14-13, 01:32 PM

ChiGiKi is on a distinguished road

Reese,
I've have experience with HARD test taking and Addy.
I'll give you my 2 cents here. I got all the way through graduate school with
a 3.7 gpa in finance without a single adhd med but once I started working fulltime and had to get certifications to keep my job I was having a very hard time. I went to
a dr and was diagnosed with moderate adhd with hyperactivity. I actually got my first certification without stims ( I used an otc pill called "cerebral success" that was recommended to me by a medical student). The 2nd cert. "CFA" was very hard(harder than CPA!), and working fulltime and studying after work till past midnight as you can imagine was very hard, PLAIN AND SIMPLE I COULD HAVE NOT DONE IT WITHOUT ADDY! I studied using Addy IR for 4 months and passed. Now heres what I DISCOVERED. ADDY is speed, make no mistake about it. It is great and supplies brain with increased Dopamine BUT ITS SPEED plain and simple.
When taking my CFA mock exams under time pressure, I noticed my brain was over racing material (and with only 20 mg IR in am); I needed to slow down for many questions for deep concentration and analysis. I was better off doing this without taking addy that morning. ADDY (even IR) BELIEVE IT OR NOT WORKS IN BRAIN FOR AT LEAST 48 HOURS AFTER LAST DOSE TO SOME EXTENT. Yes we are all different BUT heres what worked best for for me. On morning of exam I took my normal double krill fish oil, tyrosine (an otc mineral dopamine precursor), vitamin D3, Vitamin B12, vitamin b complex, COQ10, and chorella (Japanese super vitamin of sorts), ALONG WITH muscle milk bodybuilder protein shake, oatmeal, an English Muffin, and lots of water. I really maximized being very calm and focused
and having my brain not overracing under the stressful test taking condition like this.
I know it seems counter intuitive not to take addy that morning of exam but experiment with what I said above. I have hard experience here and while the MCAT is hard (mostly because it's a competition test), I'm quite sure it's not as hard as the CFA in making your brain maximize its cerebral function. I actually took Organic Chemistry in college and got a B in it (before I switched to finance) and thought it was easier than Econometrics which I studies my **** off to get a B in.
Even if you do decide to take addy the day of the test follow my regimen of taking the above as well. Tyrosine makes Addy work better. I've heard this from many people as well. There are some that will say they could use half their addy dose with tyrosine and it works nearly as well as taking a full does by itself.
I welcome your feedback and please let me know what works and or helps you.
Also, I can't emphasize the importance of drinking enough water!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-13, 01:43 PM

ChiGiKi is on a distinguished road

Reese,

one supplement I take every day also that I forgot in above list is MAGNESIUM.
Old 07-16-13, 07:08 PM

supererick64 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGiKi View Post
Reese,
I've have experience with HARD test taking and Addy.
I'll give you my 2 cents here. I got all the way through graduate school with
a 3.7 gpa in finance without a single adhd med but once I started working fulltime and had to get certifications to keep my job I was having a very hard time. I went to
a dr and was diagnosed with moderate adhd with hyperactivity. I actually got my first certification without stims ( I used an otc pill called "cerebral success" that was recommended to me by a medical student). The 2nd cert. "CFA" was very hard(harder than CPA!), and working fulltime and studying after work till past midnight as you can imagine was very hard, PLAIN AND SIMPLE I COULD HAVE NOT DONE IT WITHOUT ADDY! I studied using Addy IR for 4 months and passed. Now heres what I DISCOVERED. ADDY is speed, make no mistake about it. It is great and supplies brain with increased Dopamine BUT ITS SPEED plain and simple.
When taking my CFA mock exams under time pressure, I noticed my brain was over racing material (and with only 20 mg IR in am); I needed to slow down for many questions for deep concentration and analysis. I was better off doing this without taking addy that morning. ADDY (even IR) BELIEVE IT OR NOT WORKS IN BRAIN FOR AT LEAST 48 HOURS AFTER LAST DOSE TO SOME EXTENT. Yes we are all different BUT heres what worked best for for me. On morning of exam I took my normal double krill fish oil, tyrosine (an otc mineral dopamine precursor), vitamin D3, Vitamin B12, vitamin b complex, COQ10, and chorella (Japanese super vitamin of sorts), ALONG WITH muscle milk bodybuilder protein shake, oatmeal, an English Muffin, and lots of water. I really maximized being very calm and focused
and having my brain not overracing under the stressful test taking condition like this.
I know it seems counter intuitive not to take addy that morning of exam but experiment with what I said above. I have hard experience here and while the MCAT is hard (mostly because it's a competition test), I'm quite sure it's not as hard as the CFA in making your brain maximize its cerebral function. I actually took Organic Chemistry in college and got a B in it (before I switched to finance) and thought it was easier than Econometrics which I studies my **** off to get a B in.
Even if you do decide to take addy the day of the test follow my regimen of taking the above as well. Tyrosine makes Addy work better. I've heard this from many people as well. There are some that will say they could use half their addy dose with tyrosine and it works nearly as well as taking a full does by itself.
I welcome your feedback and please let me know what works and or helps you.
Also, I can't emphasize the importance of drinking enough water!
you should really see what the MCAT is like before making this statement.
Old 07-16-13, 10:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

kolaborator will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
what does your doctor recommend?
While I completely understand your point, I do not think a doctor would necessarily be helpful in this instance.

There is a much higher chance that people like our forum members, who actively take Adderall for long periods of time, will be better suited to answer this question than any doctor, who only hears about various effects of Adderall on the cognitive and central nervous systems from his patients or controlled studies.

I have actually tutored people for one of the sections of the MCAT, and while the material covered for that particular section (Physics) was rather easy for someone with a Physics degree, it certainly was a lot to take in for people whose only encounter with the material was during a 2-semester freshman physics course. Also, knowing the concepts and actually utilizing them to solve a math/physics problem something during a test are two different things, and while the former can take a few minutes, the latter always takes practice. I think this is where adderall will be the most useful for you, since you still have a few days, you should spend them on solving as many problems as you can. You should not time yourself, but simply try to solve them and your speed will increase as you become more acquainted with the various types of questions, and the different ways they may be worded while still referring to the same concepts.

And to the person saying that Econometrics is harder than organic chemistry: if you actually thought that, then you certainly were studying the wrong major then. Some people are better at memorizing stuff, and others are better at abstract mathematics.
The Following User Says Thank You to kolaborator For This Useful Post:
namazu (07-16-13)
Old 07-20-13, 06:32 PM

adhdpatient7 is on a distinguished road

Taking some at 7:30 and some at 8:00 probably won't make a difference. Ideally, I would suggest taking it at 7:30 and 11:00. I am fairly sure it is possible to sneak to the bathroom and take a pill, at least between sections.

Experiment beforehand with the exact dosing regimen that you plan for test day. On the day of the test, you can take less if you are feeling too anxious, but do not take more than you have experience with. Taking too much stimulant during a high-pressure test in an unfamiliar and unfriendly environment can be a recipe for a bad day and a disappointing score.

Also, relax. Deep breathing and stuff. Don't perseverate too much about the drugs, don't stay up all night studying flash cards the night before. Try to relax, be reasonable. Keep things in perspective.

Good luck.