ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-13, 10:50 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute
Talking steps to mailing a greeting card ^_^

This was on my wall on Facebook, posted by "ADHD - Tales of an absent minded superhero." Her posts always amuse me, but I think she's been spying on me for this one.

People that don't have our wacky brains don't really understand why for ADHDers, something seemingly simple like getting a greeting card in the mail is like torture!

We like things that can be accomplished in one or two steps...the more steps (barriers) we have to work through, the less our chances become of succeeding.

Let's look at the steps (barriers) to mailing a greeting card...

Step 1 - Remember occasion
Step 2 - Go to store and buy greeting card
Step 3 - Lose card at home
Step 4 - Find card in pile
Step 5 - Sign the card
Step 6 - Get husband to sign card
Step 7 - Get daughter to sign card
Step 8 - Get son to sign card
Step 9 - Find envelope
Step 10 - Look up address
Step 11 - Address card
Step 12 - Find stamp
Step 13 - Stick in mailbox or drive to P.O.

Are you kidding me? Most of the time I don't make it past step 3. I'm getting ready to send my parents an envelope with three cards in it; none of which I can find the envelopes for. One is for their anniversary (which was yesterday), one is for Mother's Day and one is for Father's Day. The Mother's Day card is actually a "blank inside" card because I lost her original Mother's Day card.

I'm officially sick of failing at this and have realized that as much as I love picking out beautiful cards for people, most of the time they never even receive them and have no idea that I spent 30 minutes in the card aisle, with tears running down my face, reading every card, trying to find the one that's perfect.

This is our life.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to silivrentoliel For This Useful Post:
425runner (07-19-13), amberwillow (07-18-13), BellaVita (07-18-13), Canadian Mess (07-18-13), Fuzzy12 (07-18-13), janiew (07-17-13), salleh (07-18-13), Spacemaster (07-18-13), stef (07-17-13), TheNarrator (07-19-13), Unmanagable (07-18-13)
Old 07-17-13, 04:19 PM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,812 Times in 654 Posts
Jacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond repute
Re: steps to mailing a greeting card ^_^

Good post.

I haven't sent any greeting cards or any other form of mail (except 2 packages I sent a month ago - first time in my life I sent packages!) since I was 14 or something. That was 12 years ago. I often get stuck at 1 or 2. When I was abroad for 3.5 months I bought the cards, but I never sent them.

Interesting to hear that it also goes similarly for you.

Regards,
Jasper
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacksper For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (07-18-13)
Old 07-17-13, 04:25 PM

Billeraphon will become famous soon enough

I catch hell for this too. Every year I forget birthdays, anniversary and holiday cards. People say "how can you forget the same events every year". I am accused of deliberately forgetting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billeraphon For This Useful Post:
425runner (07-19-13), amberwillow (07-18-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-13, 11:08 AM

Thanked 27,390 Times in 12,705 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

OMG thank you SIL. I always wonder why doing something as simple as sending out a greeting card seems to be an impossible task for me. But if you look at all the steps required, I can see what I'm struggling with.

I'd struggle right from step 1. I don't remember occasions. This year I forgot my own marriage anniversary and didn't remember till someone called to wish me.

Going to the store and actually remembering to buy the card????

And then invariably I lose it. Every time...

I don't send out greeting cards anymore. Sometimes I buy one, for example, just before going to someone's birthday party (that's when the present gets bought usually as well.. ) otherwise, I hope no one expects a card from me...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (07-18-13), BellaVita (07-18-13)
Old 07-18-13, 11:12 AM
The Social Committee LIVES

Thanked 17,719 Times in 8,884 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

This is why we have e-cards

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Old 07-18-13, 11:14 AM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi View Post
This is why we have e-cards
You still need to remember the occasion, then go onto a website and pick a card (I can never decide ). Sigh, besides most people don't really appreciate e cards I think.

I wish I could make a public announcement on TV telling everyone that I wish them all the best for all occasions and could they please consider themselves wished for the reminder of our lives.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Abi (07-18-13), BellaVita (07-18-13), salleh (07-18-13)
Old 07-18-13, 11:30 AM

Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

They don't appreciate them?

I just sent someone one

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (07-18-13)
Old 07-18-13, 11:32 AM

Thanked 5,967 Times in 2,469 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute

THey've missed out a few steps

Before each "sign card" step there needs to be

find card
find pen

the find pen step is also needed before the "address envelope" step

It also requires the "remember card" step before the mail card step

kilted
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kilted_scotsman For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (07-18-13), Fuzzy12 (07-18-13), Spacemaster (07-18-13)
Old 07-18-13, 11:38 AM

also note "find WORKING pen"

my dried out pens generally occupy the same table and drawer space that my working pens do, since I never throw them out...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (07-18-13), Spacemaster (07-18-13)
Old 07-18-13, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi View Post
They don't appreciate them?

I just sent someone one
Oh..I'm so sorry, Abi, I didn't mean it that way. I think that a lot of people think it's too easy to send out an e-card. It's not and it's not something I am capable of doing but I get that impression from other people.

I do think there are a lot of people though as well who appreciate the intention and an e card is a sign that 1. you've remembered, 2. you care enough to wish them, 3. you've gone to the effort of choosing a card and sending it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Abi (07-18-13), amberwillow (07-18-13)
Old 07-18-13, 12:03 PM
Contributor

Canadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to behold

I don't feel as bad about those graduation cards anymore...

I kept forgetting that two people I knew were graduating and then a day before the celebration, I finally remembered to buy the card.

Then, I forgot I bought them and lost them somewhere, didn't even get to sign them. Every week when I saw these two people I remembered "OH THE CARD! GOTTA FIND THAT!"

6 weeks later... I give up. I can't find them still.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadian Mess For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (07-18-13)
Old 07-18-13, 01:14 PM
Forum Guru

dogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to behold

There's also the step where you find an envelope, but realize it's the wrong size (i.e. to small). We have a stash of cards and I can never find the envelope that fits the card I bought.

As a side note I sent a friend a card for the birth of her child. Never heard from this person. Don't know that she even got it. (Course she could just be busy with her new family and child, but still it would be nice to know if I sent it the right address).
The Following User Says Thank You to dogluver358 For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (07-18-13)
Old 07-18-13, 04:34 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

I like e-cards. Especially since I'm a card-keeper... they take up a LOT less room

The Following User Says Thank You to silivrentoliel For This Useful Post:
Abi (07-18-13)
Old 07-18-13, 11:16 PM

Thanked 3,651 Times in 1,494 Posts
Spacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond repute

I have cards in a drawer, left over from when I bought and never sent them.

The best (or worst) one, is the "Sorry for the loss of your mother" card. It was for a coworker's mother. This lady died over two years ago, and my coworker moved away about a year ago. Too late I guess.

Now, I usually hang on to greeting cards so I can maybe use them one day, but that one?

Here am I sitting in a tin can far above the world
Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do -Space Oddity
Old 07-19-13, 08:57 AM
Forum ADDvocate

425runner has a spectacular aura about425runner has a spectacular aura about

My mother sends me a calendar each year filled with relatives birthdays and other important occasions. Problem is, I usually put it someplace and then can't find it.....