ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Forums Help, Q&A
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-13, 01:23 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 19,232 Times in 11,130 Posts
midnightstar has disabled reputation
Spotting spammers

I learned these tips on another forum and wanted to show everyone here how to spot spammers (I wrote this, after remembering what I was told on another forum)

Tips on finding spammers

1) Check the username - most spammers have a name that makes no sense at all or even obvious names e.g. ngvjdfkgjdfgkb (for the nonsense name) or "buythisitem" or anything like that
2) Check the location - some spammers put their username as their location
3) Look at the signature - spammers sometimes put links in their signature which usually lead to untrustworthy sites
4) Watch for suspicious behaviour e.g. private messaging a lot when they have not posted anything at all
5) Beware of newbies who send you links out of the blue or post a link saying "look at this item on this website it's the best thing ever" because that usually means they are trying to sell the item.
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Forever is a long, long time and time has a way of changing things" Big Mama - The Fox and the Hound (Disney)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (08-07-13), LynneC (09-27-13), namazu (08-07-13), sarek (08-08-13)
Old 08-06-13, 01:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,654 Times in 10,937 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Spotting spammers

There is one person who's a regular around here who I thought was a
spammer for quite a while because his username was gibberish to me.

Don't ask me to spell it for you~!

If that's the only clue, give the person some time. If a poster matches
more than one thing on that list though, be highly suspicious. Good post!

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (08-07-13), midnightstar (08-08-13), namazu (08-07-13)
Old 08-06-13, 03:31 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,111 Times in 8,898 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Good tips, midnightstar.

From the moderators:
Remember that if all y'all come across someone you suspect of being a spammer (or troll), you can use the "report this message" button to flag the post/user for review by your friendly moderator staff.

Using the formal reporting system is preferable to calling individuals out publicly in a post, as we've had some genuinely-interested contributing members wrongly called out as trolls based on a few early posts, and some newbies aren't yet aware of the ADDF Guidelines on posts with links to products, etc.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Abi (08-07-13), amberwillow (08-08-13), Andrew (08-07-13), Crazygirl79 (08-07-13), Fuzzy12 (08-07-13), LynneC (09-27-13), midnightstar (08-08-13), Ms. Mango (08-06-13), peripatetic (08-06-13), sarek (08-08-13), Simenora (08-07-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-13, 05:47 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

namazu - that's difficult when they stick to #4 as there is no "report this
message" button in the PM window, eh?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (08-08-13), LynneC (09-27-13), midnightstar (08-08-13), namazu (08-07-13), TygerSan (08-06-13)
Old 08-06-13, 07:38 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 12,907 Times in 5,217 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
namazu - that's difficult when they stick to #4 as there is no "report this
message" button in the PM window, eh?
At which point the correct course of action is to forward the offending PM to Admin (Andrew or Andi), and they will take care of it.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
Abi (08-07-13), amberwillow (08-08-13), Crazygirl79 (08-06-13), LynneC (09-27-13), midnightstar (08-08-13), namazu (08-07-13), peripatetic (08-06-13), sarek (08-08-13)
Old 08-06-13, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerSan View Post
At which point the correct course of action is to forward the offending PM to Admin (Andrew or Andi), and they will take care of it.
I was probably dealing with my third spammer before I learned that.

And I was too shy to send a PM to an exaulted Admin.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (08-08-13), LynneC (09-27-13), midnightstar (08-08-13), namazu (08-07-13)
Old 08-07-13, 12:42 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

dresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud of

good points Lunacie Im relatively knew and not very good with computers pluss I know nothing about what is ment by the word TROL--SPAMMER, etc. would not recognize one if they pushed me over. I do know that the shortest distance between two pints is a straight line, in reference to (at which point the correct course of action is to forward the offending P.M. to Admin.) how and where do I learn that tid bit of knowledge, and how do I forward it could we be K.I.S.S. about this? O please drop the last "S" everyone; your talking says this is an important situation and should be addressed A.S.A.P. well I suggest= we don't assume anything, and use the shortes routes. A board defining N describing methods
of such thing as Spammers--Trolls, etc. why not put the " report this message button" in a more convenient place and with a list of offences where by the reader would be more able to assess it before sending it on to the moderaters who then in turn could deal with it or send it on to the admin. seeing how the admins have a better working knowledge of the inner sanctum of the forums methods of operations.
I may not know computer manipulations or all the prossese of the Forum, but I do know how to line out a pack string of horses Tied head to tail in mountainious country,
and not come to grief. Im sure the computer can be adapted to accomadate the lack of know how and abilitys of some of us members. some of us find it hard to learn things N remember them .
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dresser For This Useful Post:
LynneC (09-27-13), midnightstar (08-08-13), namazu (08-07-13), peripatetic (08-07-13)
Old 08-07-13, 01:18 PM

When we are reporting suspicious profiles is it okay to PM them to the nearest mod or is there a specific way you want them reported namazu?
"Forever is a long, long time and time has a way of changing things" Big Mama - The Fox and the Hound (Disney)

Last edited by midnightstar; 08-07-13 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: tried to post message on my phone and my phone went into stupid technology mode
The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-07-13)
Old 08-07-13, 03:46 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,111 Times in 8,898 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresser View Post
could we be K.I.S.S. about this?
Yup.

The simple version is:
Don't worry about spotting spammers (or trolls).
Clean-up duty is one of the moderators' jobs.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresser
why not put the " report this message button" in a more convenient place and with a list of offences where by the reader would be more able to assess it before sending it on to the moderaters
For your convenience, the "report this message" button is located in the blue stripe, at the top right of each and every post.
It's the symbol that looks like a red triangle with an exclamation mark in it:
<-----that's the one! (See it up there at the top of my post? You can click the button and see what happens!)

As the note at the bottom of the reporting page says,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reporting Window
This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.
(For our purposes, let's just call "spam" and "advertising messages" the same thing.)

If you come across a troublesome post like that, and feel like a moderator needs to step in, just
- click the button,
- tell us what the problem is with the post, and
- we'll take a look.

Quote:
I may not know computer manipulations or all the prossese of the Forum, but I do know how to line out a pack string of horses Tied head to tail in mountainious country, and not come to grief.
That is pretty darn awesome. You have my respect!

Quote:
Im sure the computer can be adapted to accomadate the lack of know how and abilitys of some of us members. some of us find it hard to learn things N remember them .
Yeah, it's all good. Reporting posts is an "optional" thing; you're not obligated to do so.

Midnightstar -- yes, a PM (private message) to a moderator is fine if there's something in a user profile that is problematic and there's no post to report.

* ...But we certainly do welcome assistance from eagle-eyed fellow members, so I don't want to discourage anyone!
A lot of problematic posts are called to the mods' attention by attentive (?!), civic-minded ADDF members -- including midnightstar, who started this thread.
I like to think we all share in being stewards of the forum, contributing in a variety of ways, including posting thoughtful stuff.

Last edited by namazu; 08-07-13 at 03:57 PM..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Abi (08-07-13), amberwillow (08-08-13), dresser (08-08-13), Lunacie (08-07-13), midnightstar (08-07-13), peripatetic (08-08-13)
Old 08-07-13, 07:36 PM

Oops sorry I forgot one sorry namazu

Follow your instinct if you feel somethings wrong let the mods know dont take matters into your own hands
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (08-08-13), Andrew (08-07-13), namazu (08-07-13), peripatetic (08-08-13)
Old 08-08-13, 12:31 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

dresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud of

I look at belonging to this forum is the same as us all living in the same house Its up to all of US to keep it clean and tidy, comfy and warm. my referring to the horse pack string was only to demonstrate my ability to see and remove complicated situations in order to Keep It Simple, and still maintain a semblance of good efficiency. the distance between management and actuality is most times the biggest hindrance, as demonstrated daily,
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dresser For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (08-08-13), namazu (08-12-13), peripatetic (08-08-13)