ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-13, 04:03 PM

thebusyone is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Hello, Here For Help

Hello,

I'm a 20 year old college student. Just wanted to say hello. As the title of my post states, I'm here for help. A few weeks back a physician's assistant suggested something that I had never considered before: that I might have ADD.

After relaying my history of poor performance in grade school, but exceptional performance in junior and senior high and college, as well as relaying my difficulty concentrating during reading, class, and general forgetfulness, he stated that I might have ADD.

Classes are about to begin again. Today I've spent time trying read the chapters that will be covered this week, and it's been nothing short of a nightmare. The words on the page become blurred, I have trouble comprehending what it is I'm reading, and I have to continually re read paragraphs to actually understand what they say.

It took me almost one hour and half to read one chapter and I know that I can do better. For the longest time I always thought that I was just lazy and hated reading, but I'm starting to realize that perhaps the fact that I loathe reading is because of something that I can control.

I want to take steps to curb the effects of my ADD, that is if I have it all. I would like advice at what steps I should take to find out if I do have ADD, and if I do the best way to go about treating it. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

thebusyone
Old 08-19-13, 11:16 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,079 Times in 569 Posts
ADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud of
Re: Hello, Here For Help

You need to be evaluated by someone content to evaluate college age students for ADHD. if your school has a counseling service, check there, since ADHD can affect school performance.

Your school difficulties aren't the typical sequence for people with ADHD, but that's not especially meaningful.

There are any number of things that could be causing your difficulties. A remark by a PA isn't diagnostic, by any means.
Medication: Short acting generic Adderall; low dose of escitalopram.