ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-13, 07:49 PM

musicman41 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Help, feeling overwhelmed

Today i had my first appointment for ADHD, i felt so happy that someone "had my back" for once. But now, i've scheduled a lot of future plans, and I really want to complete them, but I'm freaking out. ugh. This happens all the time, i just want to be able to push past the overwhelming sensation and fears of failure and JUST DO, and be everything i dream of.

any advice?

Last edited by musicman41; 08-22-13 at 08:03 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to musicman41 For This Useful Post:
someothertime (08-23-13), Stevuke79 (08-22-13)
Old 08-22-13, 08:54 PM
moderator of all species

Thanked 5,968 Times in 3,317 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help, feeling overwhelmed

were you prescribed meds?

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 08-22-13, 09:00 PM

I'm waiting till the full evaluation, i wont have a script till mid september. :0
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-13, 09:14 PM
moderator of all species

Thanked 5,968 Times in 3,317 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

my best advice is to try to keep the anxiety to a minimum (haha, easier said than done) and wait til your meds are prescribed... once you find the right medication, you'll find some of the anxiety of future plans will subside.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 08-22-13, 09:28 PM
Jr Member

BluePHX is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Help, feeling overwhelmed

This is gonna sound a little weird, but I learned this trick from a former therapist and it helped more than I expected. Whenever I start to get really anxious in the fearful way (versus anxious in the happy excited or overwhelmed with un-scary things way,) I stop when I realize how anxious I'm feeling and relax that muscle between the anus and the sexual organ. I wish I could remember the official, medical name! I've heard it called in slang terms the "gooch" or the "taint." LOL. Hope this isn't too crass. But by relaxing that muscle, you'll feel an instant stress relief. That muscle tenses up quite a bit when we're anxious or stressed out. So consciously relax it, breathe a nice, long, deep breath, and focus on the silver lining of whatever you're facing. At least you're on your way now to possibly feeling so much better through pro help! And if that doesn't help all the way, I also really like Valerian root supplements and aromatic herbal teas like peppermint chamomile for anxiety.
The Following User Says Thank You to BluePHX For This Useful Post:
musicman41 (08-23-13)
Old 08-22-13, 09:33 PM

Thanked 1,630 Times in 841 Posts
phantasm has much to be proud ofphantasm has much to be proud ofphantasm has much to be proud ofphantasm has much to be proud ofphantasm has much to be proud ofphantasm has much to be proud ofphantasm has much to be proud ofphantasm has much to be proud ofphantasm has much to be proud ofphantasm has much to be proud of

When I am overwhelmed, which is a lot, I just remember to do things one step at a time. But the important thing is to take that first step.

If it's something that will be done in the future, then ask yourself what you need to do to prepare. Then take a first step in preparation.

Also, maybe put all the plans on a calendar so it doesn't feel like everything is going to be done at once, whereas if you just have a list of things, it can seem overwhelming.

There are no limits to what you can accomplish when you are suppose to be doing something else.
The Following User Says Thank You to phantasm For This Useful Post:
RobotInDisguise (08-22-13)
Old 08-22-13, 09:49 PM
Decepticon Second In Command

RobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of light

breaking it down, looking only at the first step, and getting started on that work very well for me as well.
Old 08-22-13, 09:52 PM

Thank you all for your responses. Honestly, I like the ideas given; I'm having a hard time emotionally accepting them - even with the first step, it's like I'm only looking at the giants toe, but I can still see the rest in my peripheral vision. Ugh.
Old 08-22-13, 09:58 PM

Thanked 1,630 Times in 841 Posts
phantasm has much to be proud ofphantasm has much to be proud ofphantasm has much to be proud ofphantasm has much to be proud ofphantasm has much to be proud ofphantasm has much to be proud ofphantasm has much to be proud ofphantasm has much to be proud ofphantasm has much to be proud ofphantasm has much to be proud of

Haamilton - Can you be more specific on the thing you are trying to accomplish? i'm sorry you are feeling this way.

There are no limits to what you can accomplish when you are suppose to be doing something else.
Old 08-22-13, 11:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,460 Times in 3,853 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Making lists, breaking it all down into short and long term goals. Try to put long term goals out of mind and think about the most important got-to-do now or in a short amount of time goals first.

I know the feeling about wanting to do it all at once but then that's overwhelming too and not always realistic.

If you're more specific we can help out even more.

I'm struggling with this at the moment too. At least, having any goals at all.
Old 08-22-13, 11:18 PM
Contributor

eats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really nice

I did a little bit of that today when I had to ask people for money. I have a few supporters, but boy was it tough to get started.
plant, what's your excuse?
Old 08-22-13, 11:47 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 12,495 Times in 6,387 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

When you think about new things or began that process, you might experience that overwhelming feeling. I've tried to think about my past successes and move forward with renewed confidence. That's what my coach taught me.

I think it's normal to feel overwhelmed. Our brains don't allow us to regulate the emotion, though.
Long-term, we must begin to build our internal strengths. It isn't just skills like computer technology. It's the old-fashioned basics of self-reliance, self-motivation, self-reinforcement, self-discipline, self-command.

~Steven Pressfield
Old 08-23-13, 12:09 AM

Here's my to-do list for the semester, just a side note - I've always been a good student, I'm just terrible managing my career & professional goals:

1) starting up an independent record label, "business meeting" on saturday
2) Producing a short contemporary jazz album for a client
3) Writing my own concept album, for a "come-back" release - i *was* career musician :\
4) Friends are always wanting to hang out, and i hate hurting their feelings
5) "find time to settle down and relax"

The thing that bothers me the most, is that on paper, it looks easy, but when i begin to think about the countless hours of work, i begin to get scared i won't be able to finish it -
or i'm incapable of finishing the projects. Because i've never been able to manage large projects. Even when i break them up, i seem to just give up because of the amount of effort it's taken in the past. ugh.

Thank you all, again :-)
Old 08-23-13, 12:37 AM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 1,654 Times in 814 Posts
Greyhound1 has a brilliant futureGreyhound1 has a brilliant futureGreyhound1 has a brilliant futureGreyhound1 has a brilliant futureGreyhound1 has a brilliant futureGreyhound1 has a brilliant futureGreyhound1 has a brilliant futureGreyhound1 has a brilliant futureGreyhound1 has a brilliant futureGreyhound1 has a brilliant futureGreyhound1 has a brilliant future

I know for me it is a vicious cycle. The more I have going on, the more overwhelmed I feel. The more overwhelmed I feel, the more I procrastinate. The more I procrastinate, the more I get overwhelmed. Sometimes finding enough motivation and interest to finish just one thing on my list really helps. The relief of checking something off my worry list can motivate me. I get motivated because the relief really feels good and I seek more.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
musicman41 (08-23-13), phantasm (08-23-13)
Old 08-23-13, 05:16 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

jeaniebug is a glorious beacon of lightjeaniebug is a glorious beacon of lightjeaniebug is a glorious beacon of lightjeaniebug is a glorious beacon of lightjeaniebug is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haamilton View Post
Here's my to-do list for the semester, just a side note - I've always been a good student, I'm just terrible managing my career & professional goals:

1) starting up an independent record label, "business meeting" on saturday
2) Producing a short contemporary jazz album for a client
3) Writing my own concept album, for a "come-back" release - i *was* career musician :\
4) Friends are always wanting to hang out, and i hate hurting their feelings
5) "find time to settle down and relax"
Holy Cow, that's a gigantic list of life goals. I would feel completely overwhelmed looking at that.

I was thinking you should add "6) Find the meaning of life."

But I am being sarcastic... I would begin with just one and make more detail about that. Which one is most important to you? Seriously, good luck, dear!

The Following User Says Thank You to jeaniebug For This Useful Post:
musicman41 (08-23-13)