ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 08-24-13, 11:24 AM

tgadget is on a distinguished road
Question Thoughts on AChE Inhibitors/memory drugs as adjunct to stimulant?

Hi everyone,

I'd like to know if anyone has experience with using acetylcholinesterase inhibitors as an adjunct to their stimulant medication.

I have recently resumed stimulant treatment after several years unmedicated. I am currently taking Focalin IR BID which is effectively managing motivation and focus. I have noticed however that it's actually caused minor deficits in certain aspects of working memory, as well as semantic memory retrieval.

I'm wondering if an AChEI (huperzine a, aricept, etc.), or some other such memory care drug would be of benefit in offsetting these symptoms. Alternatively, are there any other classes of medications you could recommend to alleviate these side effects?

I look forward to hearing the community's responses.

Cheers,
t