ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 08-29-13, 03:43 PM

adhdpatient7 is on a distinguished road
Caffeine

This thread has two major purposes:

1. Share your feelings about caffeine. Do you use it? How much, and what effects do you see?

2. Should I stop using caffeine?

I am fairly sensitive to drugs. I am a grown man, but I take only 10 to 15 mg of Dexedrine each day, total. 12 ounces of caffeinated Coke will give me noticeable effects, and actual coffee has way too much caffeine for me.

In the past few months, I have been using caffeine probably 3 or 4 days a week. On days that I use caffeine, I usually drink 12 to 24 ounces of regular Coke. That is my sole source of caffeine.

Compared to Dexedrine, caffeine is much more likely to cause insomnia, much more likely to cause headaches, and I think it is more likely to cause anxiety. I get headaches when I drink too much caffeine, but also if I drink too little. For instance, if I have 24 ounces of Coke each day for 3 days, then none on the 4th day, I will get a headache.

I think maybe I should stop taking caffeine, which I have done several times in the past. But stopping caffeine might be hard unless I have something to fill the void. I should discuss this with my psychiatrist, and possibly ask for modafinil (Provigil) to supplement my Dexedrine.

I suppose I could ask for an increased dose of Dexedrine, but there are a few problems with that: (1) it suppresses my appetite, (2) I want something longer acting, and (3) I want something that wakes me up more. If I take 7.5 mg of Dexedrine at once, it makes me uncomfortable, but I am still able to fall asleep. Caffeine inhibits sleep and sleepiness, and that is nice.

I think modafinil might be the long-acting and sleepiness-eliminating medication that I am looking for.

Of note, I sleep way more than 8 hours each night.
Old 08-29-13, 04:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,548 Times in 931 Posts
Laserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to behold
Re: Caffeine

I am not a regular coffee drinker, but I have had some after taking Adderall a few times and experienced no ill effects. YMMV.
Old 08-29-13, 04:20 PM

Thanked 6,470 Times in 3,089 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with consuming Caffeine in products like Cola, is that the initial sugar rush wears off very quickly and the come down usually nulifies the effects of the Caffeine.

You're better taking Caffeine in it's pure form as a tablet and avoiding things high in sugar and sweetners.

Personally, Caffeine sends my anxiety levels through the roof and I find it easier to manage my life by avoiding it completely.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-13, 04:24 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,654 Times in 14,612 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Its hard to get insurance to cover provigil without a narcolepsy diagnosis.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 08-29-13, 04:50 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

addthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to all

Caffeine is my enemy. I cannot mix it with Ritalin because it makes me shaky. If I drink too much I will be up all night. Coffee is way to strong for me. And I do not like the feeling of soda on my teeth. You could try green tea it only has less Caffeine than soda. Plus it won't rot your teeth.
Old 08-29-13, 05:18 PM

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,485 Posts
Raye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond repute

1. Share your feelings about caffeine. Do you use it? How much, and what effects do you see?

2. Should I stop using caffeine?

I drink about 16oz of caffeine a day. It's not a lot so i don't really feel any effect.

Should you stop? That's a personal choice for you.

"Oh Happy Day"
-Tmoney-
Old 08-29-13, 05:49 PM

sampson is just really nicesampson is just really nicesampson is just really nicesampson is just really nice

i've read articles about how caffeine isn't very healthy if you have adhd or add. the way caffeine interacts with your system, it supposedly can be bad for add or adhd symptoms. i don't drink caffeine, besides soda occasionally, but it doesn't make that much of a difference just drink caffeine or don't drink caffeine.
Old 08-29-13, 06:35 PM
Contributor

Tony72 is a glorious beacon of lightTony72 is a glorious beacon of lightTony72 is a glorious beacon of lightTony72 is a glorious beacon of lightTony72 is a glorious beacon of light

I got addicted to coffee after I started taking adderall. The first script I ever had was for 20mg ir from my gp and I had that euphoria big time for the first week or so. Was nice while it lasted but I didn't go nuts when it stopped. Two months after that first script--never got another one filled--I saw a psych and got 20mg xr. No euphoria whatsoever which, again, was fine. For some reason one day I had a random craving for iced coffee--rarely drank coffee before this and it was always hot. The coffee ended up giving me a feeling semi close to the euphoria. Not so much the high, but I had more energy and some heart palpatations like I went for a light jog. I enjoyed it so I started drinking coffee more. Coffee had never done anything similar to me before. I don't get the same feeling anymore--lasted like 2 months--but I can't get up in the morning without it. I try not to drink it too late cuz I won't sleep, but I love the stuff now. Only annoying thing is iced coffee can be annoying to make in the morning.
Old 08-29-13, 08:26 PM

Thanked 3,132 Times in 1,930 Posts
Daydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond repute

Diet Mt Dew. Well, all I know is soda is not good for you, it causes bags under your eyes, and makes people ache. That's all I know. Also, if I drank caffeine afte 3pm, I wouldn't be able to fall asleep. Now, I can drink a Mt. Dew before bed.. but that's a different story.
Old 08-29-13, 09:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

bobabuoy is a jewel in the roughbobabuoy is a jewel in the roughbobabuoy is a jewel in the rough

I can barely handle any caffeine when I taking focalin. Problem is that I am sometimes tired early in the day or after lunch even when on Focalin. A decaf coffee still has enough caffeine to get me going.

I like diet soda and 'bubbles' that quench my thirst, but it is tough to find a drink at restaurants or elsewhere that either doesn't have sugar or caffeine, and isn't just water.