ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 02-24-05, 07:33 PM

sunnysideup has disabled reputation
Unhappy Too good to be true

I believe that my first thought that Adderall was a miracle for me were too good to be true. I've tried taking this two different ways and it seems that it works only for the first three days I take the medicine. On the fourth day, today being just that, I only get an hour of good out of the medicine and even after taking my second and third doses nothing gets any better. I have been sad and weepy since the first hour on the medicine today. By this evening I don't feel irritable but I can't stop chewing on my lips and I feel like a complete mess. I can't concentrate on anything and I feel like I am in outer space or something.

I feel so discouraged because what seemed to be such an awesome answer for three days I don't think will end up working out at all. I've battled with this very hard for 7 years and now I feel that I am back to square one. I feel so hopless. This sucks!

U2 - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb- Yaweh
Old 02-24-05, 08:03 PM

ADDam is on a distinguished road
Cool

you very well could be taking too much. 5mgXR could work for a 6foot6 250pound male as well as 25mgXR could work for a midget. The point here is that you are obviously not taking too low of dose because you would be experiencing ADD symptoms and noticing it. I think you are experiencing overdose symptoms. How many mg did you start off on and how was it? Finding your right dose isnt difficult if you are patient. I know when I started off on 5mg I wanted to up my dose ASAP but you have to understand that everyone metabolizes the drug in their brain at different rates.

This means that 5mg could mean the difference between the right dose and overdosing. What I would suggest is that you get a script for 5mg and it most likely won't work but... you take it for 4-7days, save the rest of the 5mg's and get a script for 10mg. What im saying is that you can tweak your dose with the 5mg's if the 10mg isnt working by dumping both of the pills into applesauce and eatting it quickly.

The reason I dont suggest taking both a 10mg pill and a 5mg pill at the same time, is because the breakdown of the pill might be different... which will cause it to not be the equivilent of taking a 15mgXR pill. Also some people break down their 20mg's to ethier make it into 10mg and combine it with a 20mg to up their dose or to reduce their dose. This is not concise because of the different coats on each of the beads within the pill that cause the time release. You might be taking more of the instant release beads than the later release beads that will not give you the right effect.
Old 02-25-05, 08:15 AM
Contributor

Fly Away is on a distinguished road
I agree with ADDam. I had to lower my dose because I felt like a zombie at the end of the day. It was worse than not having the medication at all.

I wrote to you also in your other thread. I hope today is a better day for you!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-05, 09:25 AM

I'm still waiting to see what my Dr. has to say. I e-mailed yesterday but I haven't heard anything back yet. What puzzles me is why such a large dose would wear off so quickly. It does make sense in a way that it's too much because my second and third dose just leave me feeling so strange. Today I am not going to take anything at all. I can't go through what I did last night. I think I cried for two hours. I may try a lower dose tomorrow. FLy Away - you mentioned the cymbalta helping. I have Effexor which I think is pretty close to Cymbalta. I wonder if that would help any. Have you ever taken Effexor? When I was just taking Effexor it helped mostly with irritability for me but overall I think it actually made motivation a little worse because I felt tired. I just hate this sluggish feeling I have right now. I was even slow doing things on the adderall but I didn't have this feeling like I could hardly hold my shoulders up. Good thing they are attached to my body.

Old 02-25-05, 11:28 AM
ADDvanced Member

Mee is on a distinguished road
sunnysideup how much Adderall were you taking a day and was it Adderall or Adderall XR .
Old 02-25-05, 04:32 PM

amount of adderall

At first I was taking 25mg of adderallXR, I started crashing after 4 hours so Dr said take a second dose of 25mgxr. I only had a couple left at that point but I don't think it really helped and it left me zombie like in the evening. Recently my perscription was for REGULAR adderall 20mg 3 times a day. Either way I would start experienceing waves of sadness after 2 hours on the medicine. Taking other doses didn't seem to help too much. In the evenings I was biting on my lips and cheeks and having to use chapstick every 5 minutes. I also just felt awful and sad. This morning I did try just taking 5mg and this just might work. I haven't felt too much sadness today and I've been able to get through my day okay. We will see if I do okay tonight.

Old 02-25-05, 04:38 PM

thndarkat is on a distinguished road
maybe my dosage is too high also.

I started off on 20mg XR and they made me sleepy and stopped working after the third day. this is my first day on 30 and i'm really sleepy, after my peak. I don't think i've experienced a crash, I dont get moody or irritable or feel completely unfocused. I really just get sleepy, maybe thats my crash. I took 40mg of XR one day and i was great for 12 full hours. Maybe thats an option.

Should I consider a lower dose?
Or 20mg XR twice a day
Old 02-25-05, 05:20 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

stanzen has a spectacular aura aboutstanzen has a spectacular aura about
Sunnysideup,

I've been trying Adderall for the last two weeks, I find it's a subtle drug. It works well for me, but I don't notice it very much (it's not speedy or euphoric for me). Adderall also seems to accumulate in my body and build up during the day without me noticing.

So, I definitely took too much a couple of times in the afternoon, after thinking it wasn't working any more. This too-much made me feel sluggish, spacy, and numb, emotionally. That reminded me of taking too much Ritalin, except the Ritalin wears off a lot quicker.

Also, lip chewing and teeth grinding are signs that you may be taking too much (and your body isn't used to it).

Have you tried Ritalin? That may work better (or at least differently) for you, and you'll notice it, it's not subtle at all.

Cheers

Dr. Pangloss: "There is a concatenation of all events in the best of possible worlds . . ."

"Excellently observed," answered Candide; "but let us cultivate our garden."