ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 09-07-13, 11:51 PM

adhdcrazyboy is on a distinguished road
Post Vyvanse is causing slurred speech/difficulty speaking.Please help..

Hi Guys,
First of all I want to thank all of you for being such great friends for helping each other out as we manage ADHD.As a new diagnosed ADHDer my doctor started me on 30 mg Vyvanse.After popping in first couple of pills I realized I'm a bit sensitive to amphetamines as it felt too strong even on such a low dosage.But gradually my body seems to be adapting to it and the side effects such as the crash & insomia seems to be getting better.But one side effect that is making me worried is the speech problem.This happens specially when the Vyvanse starts coming down and also couple of days after I take the pill.So what happens is that when I try to have a conversation with someone it feels difficult to speak as if there's a speech gate in my brain which is blocking my thoughts to come out of my mouth and form sentences.So the thoughts are there in the mind but when I try to speak it seems very difficult.Also I stutter,stammer and at times say the same word twice.It gets difficult to form sentences and say things in an organized and articulate manner.I have noticed this problem has got a little better in the last couple of weeks since I started taking this medicine.Can you please tell me if this side effect does go away with time or shall I reduce my dosage to even a lower dosage of 20 mg?

Thank you all in advance and I hope everyone lead a great life irrespective of whether they have adhd or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to adhdcrazyboy For This Useful Post:
Daydreamin22 (09-08-13)
Old 09-08-13, 12:03 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,974 Times in 9,012 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vyvanse is causing slurred speech/difficulty speaking.Please help..

Hmm. I haven't experienced that but everybody's different...

Maybe your dosage was a bit strong at first but now it's settling in to be correct?

If the problem seems to be getting better, watch closely to see if it gets worse again, or continues to improve. If it improves until it's gone, OK. If it stays or gets worse, talk to your doctor.

Do you feel strangely anxious sometimes because of the drug? (that usually signals either an adaptation period or a too-high dose.) Are you maybe just lacking sleep? (so tired from insomnia that your speech is clumsy)? I think one of the disadvantages of this drug is that if you are sleep-deprived it can cover that up and make you feel ready to go when actually you're a wreck.

If your insomnia is going away, and this new problem might also be going away, then the best-case interpretation is "You're just getting used to the drug, wait a little longer and see". If your insomnia is sticking around, and you're maybe a bit strangely anxious too, and the speech problem continues, then either your dose is a bit too high or it's the wrong drug.

Oh, and make sure you're getting good normal food and lots of water. You won't need caffeine - cut that to zero immediately if you haven't done so already.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Daydreamin22 (09-08-13), namazu (09-08-13)
Old 09-08-13, 12:04 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,930 Posts
Daydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you take vyvanse with adderall? which one is causing the talking problem. Did you have depression before these meds, or do you have racing thoughts now? Just wondering because I just found out I'm bipolar and I think the meds were making me hypomanic untill I balanced them with mood meds
The Following User Says Thank You to Daydreamin22 For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-08-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-13, 12:14 AM

adhdcrazyboy is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot dvdnvwls & Daydreamin22.Your comments are really helpful.

dvdnvwls I think you may be right that I'm settling in.How much time did you need to settle with the drug? I can feel the effects of the drug even after 3 days of taking the dosage.My mind kinda feels stiff and I can feel that it is still there in my system.I do feel anxious sometimes specially when it starts coming down.Also I feel a little depressed around afternoon crash.I take a 100 mg 5htp to counter attack that.

Daydreamin22 I do have depression and I feel this depression is because of my ADHD as a comorbid condition.Before getting diagnosed as ADHD I used to take cymbalta and it did work great but it never gave me enough motivation which Vyvanse seems to give..

Anyway I will keep an eye on this speech problem and keep you guys updated.I am just keeping my fingers crossed that this speech issues goes way because I really wanna continue with this med.

Last edited by adhdcrazyboy; 09-08-13 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: spell mistake
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adhdcrazyboy For This Useful Post:
Daydreamin22 (09-08-13), namazu (09-08-13)
Old 09-08-13, 12:18 AM

Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,930 Posts
Daydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond repute

If you feel euphoria that's a regular side effect. I used to have it. I can remember not being able to talk well. Not really the slurred speech thing. I've taken is for about four years and non of that is around anymore. I definitely remember not being able to think straight or remember anything. I also had racing thoughts.
Old 09-08-13, 12:28 AM
Mr. BllVt

dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

OK, there's one of your problems - get off the 5HTP now. Any other powerful supplements that you're taking?

3 days seems a very long time to be noticing the drug's effects. Many people complain that they can't even see a difference anymore by dinner time on the same day. You might need to go back to your doctor and get this dose lowered. But first stop the 5HTP, caffeine (as in "no more morning coffee"), and any other supplements that are supposed to help with alertness, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Daydreamin22 (09-08-13)
Old 09-08-13, 12:35 AM

Thanked 6,244 Times in 3,065 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

I get the weird speech slurring thing on dexedrine (same med as vyvanse) too. I swear I read somewhere that it was a symptom of too much dopamine. My typing would get weird too- typing extra words everywhere. Also I would become very quiet. Not as bad as you describe, but it was noticable enough that people commented on it.

This was not my only issue with amphetamine based meds- they were just very problematic for me.

I switched to Ritalin, and it was no longer a problem. I'm currently on Focalin, which is working super.
The Following User Says Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
Daydreamin22 (09-08-13)
Old 09-08-13, 12:52 AM
Mr. BllVt

Certainly people with Parkinson's (which involves lack of dopamine) have slurred speech. I don't know how it all relates though.
Old 09-08-13, 12:54 AM
Mr. BllVt

adhdcrazyboy: In any case, what ana futura is saying may be true of you as well. Maybe this drug is just not suited to what's happening in your body.
Old 09-08-13, 01:53 AM

ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
Certainly people with Parkinson's (which involves lack of dopamine) have slurred speech. I don't know how it all relates though.
Yeah, I really wish I could find the article I was reading. It may just be a figment of my imagination. Slurred speech isn't exactly right, it's garbled speech- the words come out in the wrong order, words repeat. My grammar and syntax was all over the place, and I think it affected me more with writing than speaking.

I kept trying and failing with amphetamines. Maybe I just never gave them enough time, but what would consistently happen is I would try to make it on them for a week, give up because of side effects, and stop. Over and over and over I did this, the side effects never went away. And I hated them so much I had to force them down.

I did a similar thing with Focalin, and the side effects did go away, but they were more manageable to begin with.

This is something I question all the time-would I have ever adjusted eventually? But the Focalin's fine now and I'm improving and I'm happy and I'm finally at the point where I want to take my meds.

Forcing myself to stay on something that wasn't quite right and hoping it would get better wasn't working for me.
Old 09-08-13, 02:27 AM
Mr. BllVt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana futura View Post
Yeah, I really wish I could find the article I was reading. It may just be a figment of my imagination. Slurred speech isn't exactly right, it's garbled speech- the words come out in the wrong order, words repeat. My grammar and syntax was all over the place, and I think it affected me more with writing than speaking.

I kept trying and failing with amphetamines. Maybe I just never gave them enough time, but what would consistently happen is I would try to make it on them for a week, give up because of side effects, and stop. Over and over and over I did this, the side effects never went away. And I hated them so much I had to force them down.

I did a similar thing with Focalin, and the side effects did go away, but they were more manageable to begin with.

This is something I question all the time-would I have ever adjusted eventually? But the Focalin's fine now and I'm improving and I'm happy and I'm finally at the point where I want to take my meds.

Forcing myself to stay on something that wasn't quite right and hoping it would get better wasn't working for me.
The common attitude seems to be that if amphetamine is going to work, it works immediately, or by the second day at the very least (except for dosage adjustments as necessary).

But I guess that dosage-adjustment exception can cover a lot of ground, especially if you're not sure and you really want it to work.
Old 09-08-13, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
The common attitude seems to be that if amphetamine is going to work, it works immediately, or by the second day at the very least (except for dosage adjustments as necessary).

But I guess that dosage-adjustment exception can cover a lot of ground, especially if you're not sure and you really want it to work.
"Work" is a vague word. Every med "works" for me- they all control or curb my symptoms. But not every med works well.

So I think when people say "it's going to work immediately", they mean "it's going to control your symptoms immediately". But whether or not you are going to like how you feel on it takes a fair amount of time to suss out. And yes, dosage has a huge impact. Especially for someone like me, who is really sensitive to small doses.

I absolutely despised focalin for the first couple weeks. But I could also sort of see that my problems with it seemed like things that would go away eventually, while the longer I took amphetamines, the more problems appeared.
The Following User Says Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
dvdnvwls (09-08-13)
Old 09-08-13, 02:45 AM
Mr. BllVt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana futura View Post
"Work" is a vague word. Every med "works" for me- they all control or curb my symptoms. But not every med works well.
Yes. Good point.
Old 01-09-15, 01:05 AM

BeachedYankee is on a distinguished road

Sorry for reviving an old post but I searched for basically this issue and its the only real relevant thing I found.

I feel like I'm having this exact issue. I've been taking meds for about 5 months now in total, after trying a couple meds and doses I'm currently on 40 mgs of Vyvanse, which seems to work pretty well for my ADHD but I feel like I stumble over my words a lot when speaking and have a lot of typos when typing.

Also as part of my job I routinely get information from people over the phone, addresses, long ID numbers etc, and I feel lately I have trouble keeping up people as they are reciting them to me, something I haven't really had an issue with before (or at least that I didn't notice before).

At first I thought this was all in my head but today I was was writing on a markerboard and was asked me to write the word "reject" and I wrote "refect" and didn't even notice until it was pointed out to me, this was hand written so its not like I just hit the wrong key on a keyboard or even skipped a letter or anything like that. I thought j but my hand wrote f.

I'm now convinced its not just in my head and will speak to my doc about it next visit but was wondering if anyone had had any success dealing with this issue?

Thanks!