ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Forums Help, Q&A
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-13, 02:07 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,313 Times in 639 Posts
Hyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant future
Creating a subform?

How do I go about creating a subform on a specific topic?
BellaVita (09-24-13)
Old 09-24-13, 02:11 PM
The Social Committee LIVES

Thanked 17,722 Times in 8,884 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Creating a subform?

You Don't.

Admin does, and only very rarely, when there is a *very* good reason to create a new subforum.

Regards.

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (09-24-13), Hyperman87 (09-24-13), namazu (09-24-13)
Old 09-24-13, 02:21 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,954 Times in 9,009 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

My own feeling, and I'm not an admin or moderator: If you have a topic that truly doesn't fit under one of the categories we already have, it makes me wonder if it even belongs on the ADHD board at all. I do think the current categories cover everything. Just posting your thread and saying "I'm not sure where this one fits in..." is commonly done. Every one of those that I've seen, it did easily fit in one of the already-existing categories, or else didn't belong here at all.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-13, 03:03 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Hyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant future

Well, I only asked because in the medication section. I thought there should be more information on a class of drugs known as Tricyclic Antidepressants or (TCA's) used in ADHD treatment besides for just: imipramine & desipramine.

I mean Amitriptyline is one,Protriptyline is another. I feel that for Adults with ADHD,non-stimulant medications(including Strattera & anti-hypertensives) should be covered as thoroughly as all of the stimulant options out there.

Because in some cases, doctors might decide to add additional medications for adult ADHD patients who are literately suffering due to ADHD. & don't have other health problems that contraindicate their usage. My own ADHD neuropharmacologic regimen consists of: Vyvanse 60mg, Amitriptyline(Tricyclic Antidepressant/TCA) 10 to 15mg 2 to 3 x daily & Nadolol(Beta-blocker/anti-hypertensive).

Obviously based on my signature, it's clear I have many other health issues. However, some GPs, neurologists, & psychiatrists, might be willing to try a similar drug regimen for other patients like me out there.Not every child or adult takes just one stimulant or non-stimulant medication for ADHD. As this is a fairly complex neuropsychiatric illness.

In my case, I had to read up on different non-stimulant drugs that might be okay to take with the stimulant(at certain dosages) & then go into my GP & neurologist's office to ask about the combination. My hope is to make the information on treatment much easier for busy adults with ADHD. Who are struggling,because they are one or two of the typical ADHD drugs that are not nearly as helpful as advertised.

It's all about love for me fellow hyper-kinetic's that's all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricycl...t#List_of_TCAs

Last edited by Hyperman87; 09-24-13 at 03:31 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hyperman87 For This Useful Post:
kattsqueen (09-24-13), namazu (09-24-13)
Old 09-24-13, 03:07 PM

Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

You can post in the Imipramine etc. section, or in "Anti-Depressants" if you prefer.

Im my capacity as a member I agree the organisation of the Meds section could use a bit over a re-arrangement.

Bear with us for now

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (09-24-13), Hyperman87 (09-24-13), namazu (09-24-13)
Old 09-24-13, 03:09 PM

Quote:

Who are struggling,because they are one or two of the typical ADHD drugs that are not nearly as helpful as advertised.
*cough* Vyvanse *cough* Strattera *cough*

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (09-24-13), Hyperman87 (09-24-13)
Old 09-24-13, 04:08 PM
Mr. BllVt

dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that I can understand.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (09-24-13)
Old 09-24-13, 05:28 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 28,027 Times in 12,962 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I think, we really need a subforum for people who don't have ADHD, think they have all the symptoms anyway but mainly just want to be part of the ADDF family
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (09-24-13)
Old 09-24-13, 05:35 PM
Mr. BllVt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I think, we really need a subforum for people who don't have ADHD, think they have all the symptoms anyway but mainly just want to be part of the ADDF family
Anyone who has all the symptoms, has ADHD. The symptoms are the only criteria. There is an analogous rule regarding the accepted criteria for positive identification of a duck, which I probably do not need to repeat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
ana futura (09-24-13), Hyperman87 (09-24-13)
Old 09-24-13, 05:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 28,027 Times in 12,962 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
Anyone who has all the symptoms, has ADHD. The symptoms are the only criteria. There is an analogous rule regarding the accepted criteria for positive identification of a duck, which I probably do not need to repeat.
Well, the symptoms aren't the only criteria. There's proof of impairment too.

And what about if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck but can also recite all prime numbers with 11 digits..in Klingon??
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (09-24-13), namazu (09-24-13)
Old 09-24-13, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
Umm...nope... there is a caveat in almost all if not all diagnoses in the DSM:

"Symptoms are not better accounted for by somatic disorder, medication, substance use or other psych conditions" [I'm paraphrasing]

My diagnosis is Bipolar Type 2. I suffer about 85% of the diagnostic symptoms of ADHD as per the DSM, and have had about half of these since childhood. I am clearly impaired. But I do't qualify for an ADHD dx as my symptoms are better accounted for by another condition.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (09-24-13), dvdnvwls (09-25-13), Hyperman87 (09-25-13), namazu (09-24-13), phantasm (09-24-13)
Old 09-24-13, 11:10 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Quote:

Fuzzy, I got the joke. I guess you notice that I can type quite a bit or stay pretty focused,huh. Well let me tell ya", it don't come easy,lady. Vyvanse, Amitriptyline & Nadolol(all ADHD meds for me, & all of em have wicked side-effects. ) I'm as ADHD as they come though.

Good to know that my ADHD is finally improving, though!

Last edited by Hyperman87; 09-24-13 at 11:32 PM..
Old 09-25-13, 02:50 AM
Mr. BllVt

Quote:
Well, the symptoms aren't the only criteria. There's proof of impairment too.

And what about if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck but can also recite all prime numbers with 11 digits..in Klingon??
Having an impressive memory, especially for geeky things that happen to have caught our interest, is quite common in ADHD. I can recite and write out several collections of poetry that I like, in a few different languages, and I wrote my own inane little periodic-table song. (which I never finished...) Actually, the first time I noticed my affinity for memory tricks was long before I knew I had ADHD. At quite a young age, I received a book about the mind - one of the items in it was a little test to prove that memorizing meaningful words is easier than memorizing meaningless words.

The supposedly-meaningless words (a couple of which do indeed have meanings, but I didn't know them at the time) included bej, tun, saf, yer, hif, dak, and pob. I can't remember any of the meaningful ones. (and I haven't seen that book since I was about 13.)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-25-13), Hyperman87 (09-25-13), Reekwind (09-25-13)
Old 09-25-13, 02:52 AM
Mr. BllVt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi View Post
Umm...nope... there is a caveat in almost all if not all diagnoses in the DSM:

"Symptoms are not better accounted for by somatic disorder, medication, substance use or other psych conditions" [I'm paraphrasing]
Thanks for the correction and clarification. Some ducks are apparently impostors.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Abi (09-25-13)
Old 09-25-13, 02:58 AM
Contributor

Reekwind is a name known to allReekwind is a name known to allReekwind is a name known to allReekwind is a name known to allReekwind is a name known to allReekwind is a name known to all

Yeah, I'm like you. I remember useless stuff all the time and my head is full of it. :P What you wrote triggered a memory actually. During fifth grade when in Swedish class we had vocabulary homework and for some reason the word "smatt" just glued itself onto my memory, can't remember anytime where I've actually used it though. :P
It means "a small and narrow passage".

I am generally good at learning languages though, and my vocabulary is actually quite versatile. It's my one thing that I'm truly good at. :P I often learn words on the go without even realizing it then I just start using them when need be.