ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 03-04-05, 01:54 PM

Patricia is on a distinguished road
Ritalin and Xanax?

Has anyone tried Ritalin and Xanax together? Ritalin alone sometimes seems to make my heart race or feel anxious so this combo seems to help me. Sometimes I can take Ritalin by itself and sometimes I can't. Sometimes I can just take a lower dosage of Xanax just to take the edge off and not make me sleepy.
What do you think?
Old 03-04-05, 02:09 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Location: In a cynical state of mind where mankind fails to impress
FightingBoredom will become famous soon enough
I'm currently taking Ritalin and Xanax together.
I've been on Ritalin for years. I started the Xanax a couple of months ago when trying a couple of other meds to see what could replace the Ritalin.
So far, they have just caused me heightened anxiety. Which is why I started taking the Xanax.
To make a long story shorter: I'm now on 20mg/day of Ritalin (use to be 50mg) and .5mg to .1mg of Xanax when needed...which is most days.
The combination is great the first hour. Xanax tends to make me sleepy and Ritalin wakes me up, at first. Then the Ritalin wears off and I tend to get foggy/sleepy/unmotivated.
I've tried lower doses of Xanax like taking half of one of the .5mg tabs but that feels like not taking any at all.
So far the only benefit that I've seen from adding Xanax is that I can have some days where I'm not emotional exhausted from the anxiety. So, I end up with more energy in the long run.
our "higher" selves.
I just hope I can remember that I came to this realization!

And I'm sick of giving people advice. They don't listen. They don't really want to deal with their issues. They just want to whine and complain and have someone else listen and tell them everything is going to be OK!

Well, everything is NOT going to be OK unless you learn to handle whatever comes your way.
Old 03-04-05, 02:28 PM
ADDvanced Member

Mee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Has anyone tried Ritalin and Xanax together? Ritalin alone sometimes seems to make my heart race or feel anxious so this combo seems to help me. Sometimes I can take Ritalin by itself and sometimes I can't. Sometimes I can just take a lower dosage of Xanax just to take the edge off and not make me sleepy.
What do you think?
This is the combination that almost killed me ..... I was on this combo for years . Any Dr. that gives you Xanax to help with the anxiety of Ritalin should have his medical license taken away . On the street they would call it a speedball .. how much Ritaln and Xanax are you taking .

It was a great combo to be sure .... the Xanax takes away all of the bad side effects of the Ritalin but xanax is probably the most addictive substance on the planet not only is it a benzo but it has a very short half life and you build up a tolerance fast . Getting off of it when you get addicted is almost impossible to do sheer hell . It only takes a few months to become physically addicted also .

Quote:
I've tried lower doses of Xanax like taking half of one of the .5mg tabs but that feels like not taking any at all.
That is becuase the Ritalin is pulling you the other way and you are building up a tolerance to it .
Again it is hard to believe a Dr. would approve of this combination. If ADD medication is causing heightened anxiety you half to be crazy to fix that with a Benzo .
http://www.benzo.org.uk/
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-05, 03:13 PM
The Guy Behind the Curtain

Thanked 1,856 Times in 552 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Is the same doctor prescribing both meds?

Is he/she aware that you're self-adjusting your dosage?

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 03-16-05, 01:47 AM
ADDvanced Member

abre los ojos has disabled reputation
Let's be careful going around advocating pharmaceutical panic. You had a bad reaction to xanax and stimulant combination, but many other people have no problem at all taking these medications at theraputic dosages. However, If I were a Dr, which I'm not, I might advise a benzodiazepine such as Klonopin, which has a much longer half-life and does not give quite the euphoria as xanax. There are also the options of taking a low dosage of SSRI or SNRI or NRI to smooth out the peaks and valleys of the stimulants. Unipolar/Bipolar are fairly common in those with ADD.

Mee, I would appreciate if you could try and be more subjective with your experience, rather than interpreting youre negative outcome as universal, applying to all people. We are all different. One persons poison is another persons savior.
Old 03-23-05, 11:20 AM
ADDvanced Member

jayblaze2 is on a distinguished road
is it bad to switch from xanax to klonopins? right away.

"I caught a fleeting glimpse Out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone. I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, The dream is gone." (Pink Floyd)
Current Meds:
  • Adderall XR 60mg
  • Nortriptyline 20mg
Historic Meds:
  • Xanax, Klonopin
  • Dexedrine, Ritalin, Concerta
  • Paxil, Lexapro, Zoloft
  • Effexor, Cymbalta, Wellbutrin
Old 03-23-05, 08:16 PM
Forum Guru

KnittingJunkie has disabled reputation
Are you asking because you're wondering whether your doctor is doing something very smart, or because you're thinking about doing this yourself?

Assuming the answer is "with," they taper it, usually--don't just yank you off a med like that (if it's taken regularly, not a tiny-dose PRN like my Xanax) unless it's an emergency, I don't think. Of course, I'm not a doc. But you gotta be careful with this stuff, man...it's not a schedule II (like Ritalin or most of the other ADD meds) but it's considered addictive, remember--I'm thinkin' that going straight from one med to another, without any tapering or anything, is not a bright idea.

I take Klonopin for seizures, and Xanax PRN for anxiety/panic/insomnia...so technically, I'm on everything involved in this whole dang post. Well, wait, I'm not on Ritalin, I'm on Dexedrine. Oops.

Chrys
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayblaze2
is it bad to switch from xanax to klonopins? right away.
Old 03-23-05, 08:35 PM
Forum Guru

KnittingJunkie has disabled reputation
Let's not freak anyone out...

Ditto.
...almost died from Penicillin and a couple of other things, and had a bad (but not fatal) reaction to about a zillion other things, but I don't make it a practice to express concern when someone's got strep throat and takes one of the "cillins", or knock people for eating mangoes, even though they were both so wretched I remember it vividly 5-8 years later (depending on which of the two is being considered.) People are, indeed, all different, Mee.

~Chrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by abre los ojos
Let's be careful going around advocating pharmaceutical panic. You had a bad reaction to xanax and stimulant combination, but many other people have no problem at all taking these medications at theraputic dosages...Mee, I would appreciate if you could try and be more subjective with your experience, rather than interpreting youre negative outcome as universal, applying to all people. We are all different. One persons poison is another persons savior.