ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-05, 06:02 PM

monicaileana is on a distinguished road
has anyone had a SPECT SCAN? if so please reply!

i am really anxious and curious about this spect scan and if it is really any good or not.

my dh is willing to pay the money for me to get it done just so we know if i am add or not and then i had some weird side effects from concerta and because of them he said "oh that means you are bipolar"...just like that!

so i am not willing to sit back and take these diagnoses he is throwing out at me like that without some back up!

so anyone if you have had this done or know of anyone or have any personal opinion please let me know! thanks so much, monica
Old 03-04-05, 11:47 PM

milauran is on a distinguished road
Hi Monica

I haven't had a spect scan but just got back from browsing one of Dr. Amen's book at Chapters. He makes it pretty clear that a spect scan will not give a definitive diagnosis, it is one piece of the puzzle. Like most other Doctors, he places stronger emphasis on the patient's history and the impact on their lives. Unfortunately they are still working on developping the definitive test. They are having some success with quantitative EEGs (which Dr. Phil's expert Dr. Lawlis swears by) one version of which is marketed by a company (www.lexicor.com) that provides these stats:

Patients with Inattentive AD/HD typically express an increase in the Theta-Beta ratio. Patients with Combined AD/HD typically express one of two brainwave changes, either 1) an increase in Theta-Beta ratio OR 2) an increase in Frontal Beta Power.

Research has shown, with a repeated measures design, that 90% of confirmed AD/HD subjects (Inattentive and Combined) tested above the cutoff for the Theta-Beta Ratio. And, 94% of normal subjects tested below the cutoff.

Research
has shown that there is a group of individuals who are readily classified with behavioral symptoms of AD/HD Combined, yet they typically test within the normal range for the Theta-Beta Ratio indicator. These individuals display a specific brainwave pattern, with a marked increase in Frontal Beta Power relative to normal. This subset represents approximately 20% of AD/HD Combined subjects.

Their website actually has a locator search that tells you where you can get this test done.

It is one of the hardest parts of coming to grips with having ADD, the lack of a definitive test that puts the uncertainty to rest and that shuts up all the naysayers.

Old 03-05-05, 02:04 AM

monicaileana is on a distinguished road
wow that is fascinating! i read the whole article and each side article as well....i think i would rather opt for this over the spect scan, tho the spect scan can also help determine bipolar, generalized anxiety disorder, and others that i wanted to either rule out or rule in..thanks so much and i am going to investigate this one further and maybe is even costs less!
Sponsored Links