ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 03-06-05, 12:08 AM
Jr Member

dexnotworking is on a distinguished road
Help! Coffee + cigs + Dex = heart out of control

Hi,

The Dex has finally started working after the first two weeks and I'm really pleased with it. But I have a problem and right now I feel like I'm about to have a heart attack. When I don't eat anything for a whlie and I drink coffee (I'm also a 1 cig per hour smoker)breathing (or maybe it's my anxiety disorder), but I just just checked my pulse and it's 120 beats/ minute. That's abnormal. This will happen even 5-6 hours after taking my 10 mg spansule. e.g. today I studied at the coffee shop all day starting 11 am, when after eating a small breakfast I took my Dex. At about 6 pm after 2 cups of coffee and a few cigarettes and not having eaten all day, I ate a hamburger. Shortly after that my heart started beating pretty hard and I Had to throw all my stuff in my bag and leave.

Can someone please tell me whether it's the combined effect of caffeine, nicotine and Dex together or should I stop taking my 20 mg Dex a day?
Any wisdom would be appreciated.

I'm somewhat reluctant to tell my doctor about this because the stuff is working AWESOME for my ADD (i've never studied for 7 hours like that); I just dont know about these occasional tachycardic moments.

I"m not on any other medication currently either.
Old 03-06-05, 12:13 AM
The Guy Behind the Curtain

Thanked 1,862 Times in 552 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
caffeine and any stimulant is likely to cause a racing pulse...check with your doctor....but he will likely tell you to stop the coffee.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 03-06-05, 12:19 AM
Jr Member

Yeah my post was a little unclear. It seemed like I was having some issues breathing too. I couldn't tell. I'm going to take a day off tomorrow and try it on Monday one more time without coffee. I hope it's the coffee that's doing it because after studying and doing day-to-day stuff while on Dex, it'd suck to go back half way through the semester.

Does anyone know what doctors usually do when people with ADHD have high blood pressure? Do they just lower the dose or do they prescribe non-stimulants?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-05, 02:53 AM
Contributor

Chadwick has disabled reputation
You'd best reduce your intake of cigarettes and caffeine, IMO, but to each their own . . . it'd suck to have go give up effective ADHD medication because you can't stop smoking, so your blood pressure stays high so your doctor pulls your meds. Nicotine acts on your dopamine system just like dextroamphetamine does -- you might be self-medicating with the cigarettes. Perhaps with a higher dose of dextroamphetamine you could easily give up or ween yourself off smoking, especially with the assistance of a nicotine patch.
Old 03-06-05, 10:28 AM
Forum Guru

KnittingJunkie has disabled reputation
Ritualistically, I'm going to begin to put a disclaimer on any post that could be considered suggestive in any way: I am not a medical professional, so don't take a d*mn thing I say as medical advice, and do not be inspired for whatever reason to do anything without your doctor's knowledge/agreement that it would be a wise move! I will assume that you are wise enough to realize the merit of that already--still, I gotta say it, if only to appease my anxious personality.
I'd have to say the same as everyone else--chilll a bit on the caffeine (one addict to another, so I know it's horrid, but I allow myself one Dr. Pepper a day, which seems to help) and cut back on the smokes...I've managed to do so partly because I've been attached at the hip to my computer, working and other assorted things, though my doc says that one of the reasons cigarettes make you "feel good" is because of a dopamine release, and since dex causes a dopamine release, that might be one of the reasons I'm not obsessively thinking about having a cigarette all the *******' time like I was.
(Note: this is kind of convenient, too--we don't smoke in the house, and we live in Iowa, where the weather is wacky but generally cold in the winter anyway, so this way I don't lose the feeling in my fingers anymore!)
I'd have to say before the dex I was probably smoking a pack and a half every day, and now I'm smoking less than a pack...but then, I don't know, maybe it's just me and my doctor's trying to imbed some sort of suggestive crud into my malleable little psyche!
Old 03-10-05, 12:40 AM
ADDvanced Member

jayblaze2 is on a distinguished road
You more than likely had a panic attack. I get them from time to time. The panic was probably induced by the stimulants but i would say you had a panic attack because you were not hydrated. Drink plenty of water. These meds kill your liver. Water will help. I drink tons of water especially before i go drinking. i try not to take my meds too (when i go out). If i dont drink enough water i usually wake up in the middle of the night with a heart rate above 120 and thirsty! (nights i go out) You may want to look into anti-anxiety meds along with your dex. I take xanax
Old 03-10-05, 12:55 AM
ADDvanced Member

Mee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You more than likely had a panic attack. I get them from time to time. The panic was probably induced by the stimulants but i would say you had a panic attack because you were not hydrated. Drink plenty of water. These meds kill your liver. Water will help. I drink tons of water especially before i go drinking. i try not to take my meds too (when i go out). If i dont drink enough water i usually wake up in the middle of the night with a heart rate above 120 and thirsty! (nights i go out) You may want to look into anti-anxiety meds along with your dex. I take xanax
stimulants .... drinking .......... xanax ...... kill your liver .... naaa you think ?
Old 03-10-05, 05:45 AM
Forum Guru

KnittingJunkie has disabled reputation
Dude, do you have ADD with anxiety/insomnia/PTSD/whatever they're taking Xanax for? If not, then--ok, you know, I'm not going to finish this sentence because I'm in a very bad mood for other reasons, but it was gonna end with two words that aren't very nice.

So sick of people trying to be physicians/pharmacologists. Sometimes benefit outweighs risk. Ever heard of that phrase?? Look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee
stimulants .... drinking .......... xanax ...... kill your liver .... naaa you think ?
Old 03-10-05, 06:55 AM
Jr Member

i agree with jayblaze

jayblaze2,

i completely agree. this particular day that happened, i was sitting at a coffee shop, with my Ipod on, reading and lost completely track of time. Six hours went by and all i had was 2 cups of coffee , cigarettes and NO water or food. that's probably what happened.

since then, something strange has taken place. the meds haven't been working quite as well. i dont even get that slightly stiff jaw feeling and my confidence levels when speaking in public or clarity of thought is completely gone. i have this perpetual feeling ......you know the kind that you get for 20 minutes after you wake up.......the whole slightly stoned but not euphoric fuzzy feeling in your brain. another factor may be that i'm not getting enough sleep. (i'm hoping thats what it is so i dont have to go on experimenting with dosage or type of medication ; but then again maybe i need something else, who knows?)

i just feel like the spansules do not work well for students. i'm in an INTENSE grad program and there's no way i can put myself on a regular eating/sleeping schedule especially when if I take one after 5 p.m. i'm screwed till about 2-3 a.m. for sleep and then have to wake up again at 8.

this kind of sucks. at least before even though it took me very long to do stuff and my mind was always racing on other things while reading, i wasn't spending all this time thinking and worrying about how to get on the perfect med/dosage.
Old 03-10-05, 10:10 AM
ADDvanced Member

Ok so i spent about an hr typing you a ton of info but clicked the post reply button instead of the Post Quick Reply and lost all of it. ARRRGGGG!!!!! Short and sweet. Basically everyone(ADD) is different. What works for me might not work for you. ER's didnt digest right for me so i could not take them. When you are starting your meds dont think about the euphoria think about the effectivness of the drug. The euphoria should taper off but the effectivness will not. You "feeling stoned" is definitely from the lack of sleep. Stimulation is a key factor to understanding ADD. Stimulation makes our brains work (ADD'ers). Thats why stimulants work. Do research to determine how to cope with your ADD (everyone is different). sorry i cant be more detailed. my original note was much better but i need to work.
Old 03-10-05, 10:16 AM
ADDvanced Member

T-Bass is on a distinguished road
Stimulants alone don't work for me, works best in combination with other things, like coffee, cigs, weed, etc.

T-Bass
Old 03-10-05, 03:21 PM
ADDvanced Member

Those are stimulants

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bass
Stimulants alone don't work for me, works best in combination with other things, like coffee, cigs, weed, etc.

T-Bass
These are all stimulants. TV is a stimulant. Anything that grabs your attention is a stimulant.
Old 03-10-05, 03:25 PM
The Guy Behind the Curtain

Thanked 1,862 Times in 552 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Weed is not a stimulant, cigs arguably are not, but coffee (and other caffienated beverages) are.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 03-11-05, 01:54 AM
ADDvanced Member

Marijuana: THC / Marijuana, Hashish, Hashish Oil, Dronabinol (Marinol).

Synonyms: Cannabis Sativa, Hemp.
Drug Class: Antiemetic, Appetite Stimulant, Cannabinoid, Hallucinogen.
Street Names: 420, Buds, Chronic, Dope, Ganja, Grass, Green, Herb, Kryptonite, Pot, Reefer, Sinsemilla, Weed.
Marijuana Cigarettes: Blunt, Doobie, Joint, Nail, Phillie.
Description: Marijuana is harvested from the flowering portion and leaves of the hemp plant. It is typically either green or brown in color and consists of shredded leaves, whole flowers (buds), stems, and/or seeds. Marijuana is typically smoked in a pipe, water pipe (bong), or rolled into a cigarette (joint). In recent years, marijuana has appeared in blunts, which are cigars that have been emptied of tobacco and refilled with marijuana. Some users also mix marijuana into foods, such as brownies, or use it to brew tea. Typical marijuana contains over 400 known chemicals.

-----

Cigarettes and Chewing Tobacco

Tobacco is an agricultural crop that is used to make cigarettes. It is grown all over the world and supports a billion-dollar industry. Tobacco is dried and processed, then either placed into cigarettes and processed, or manufactured for chewing tobacco. The psychoactive ingredient is nicotine, a stimulant, but more than 4,000 other chemicals (2,000 of which are known to be poisonous) are present in cigarettes.

Tobacco is a nervous system stimulant that triggers complex biochemical and neurotransmitter disruptions. It elevates heart rate and blood pressure, constricts blood vessels, irritates lung tissue, and diminishes your ability to taste and smell.
Old 03-11-05, 02:51 AM
Jr Member

Jaylbaze2,
I wish I'd gotten your original post. I'm relatively new to this whole taking medication business, so any info is helpful.

No, I wasn't saying I enjoy the euphoric feeling. I'd feel much better if I could just have an effective drug that worked without me "noticing" anything. The more seamless, the better. But I feel like for my first week, I had side-effects (feeling dopey, tired b/c of dosage being high); then the next week the stuff worked BEAUTIFULLY and i was really impressed. But after that incident at the coffee shop, it's back to be feeling dopey, stoned thing. However, I've only been sleeping in bursts of 4 to 5 hours for the last few days or so, so maybe I'm not getting enough REM sleep although I do average to about 7 hours/day.

So your evaluation is that the meds will probably start working again if I get the right amount of sleep? I just hate this feeling where I feel my brain foggy so I can't process as efficiently, but at the same time I'm alert and awake......just foggy. IT's weird describing it.

I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow. I'll explain what is going on, but I'm inclined to agree with you that's its probably b/c of erratic sleeping.