ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 11-17-13, 06:49 AM
ADDvanced Member

Pingu* will become famous soon enough
How to schedule study time?

How do you schedule when to study during the week?

My biggest problem is to schedule my study time, because:
  • I don't know my energy level in beforehand.
  • I don't know my mood.
  • I don't know if I'll have slept enough the night before.
  • Things pop up unexpectedly and wreck my schedule.
  • I don't know how long it will take. (I study medicine - only reading, no assignments)
  • Etc.
Currently, I never schedule study time.

Negative outcomes from not scheduling:
  • I get stressed and anxious because I always have something to study, and no designated time to do it.
  • I can't have other scheduled recreation activities, because I need every hour to be available for studying, if I happen to be able to focus at that time.
  • So, it feels like I have no life outside university, yet I study too little and I'm stressed all the time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pingu* For This Useful Post:
425runner (01-03-14), mctavish23 (11-18-13), phonecat (11-17-13)
Old 11-17-13, 10:29 AM
Jr Member

phonecat is on a distinguished road
Re: How to schedule study time?

I don't really have any suggestions, but I'm also interested in how to do this.

What I really want is some kind of app where I can set it to remind me to do a brief block of study time, and I can tick it off or defer it to later in the day or the next day (and maybe I have to enter a reason to stop me just hitting snooze unthinkingly!) and then allows me to see how much time I've done over the week/month/term? Like a record of my total study time managed.

I don't know if it exists.
Old 11-17-13, 08:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,485 Times in 813 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a good handle on set study times either. I have some of the the same reasons that you do but others too.

Quote:
  • I get stressed and anxious because I always have something to study, and no designated time to do it.
  • I can't have other scheduled recreation activities, because I need every hour to be available for studying, if I happen to be able to focus at that time.
  • So, it feels like I have no life outside university, yet I study too little and I'm stressed all the time.
I totally get what you are taking about here. Since my study habits are so poor thus I don't really get much done even in huge spans of time, I am always stressed and "can't" make plans because I have to study. The open-endedness of it really is awful for me too. If there isn't a "task" attached like an exam, quiz or project, I am so lazy about getting readings done.

I am in nursing school not med school (my hat is off to you!!) but I've heard that there is much more out there- i.e. med school student forums/message boards- where thay talk in great detail about pretty hard-core study schedules. One of my best friends is an anesthesiologist and when he was in med school I remember him telling me that he used a an excel spread sheet for his study schedule. This was my facial expression I'm sure: .

I'm sure that you can find another ADHDer on one of them and perhaps be accountability partners. Even just giving tips to one another could help.

Good luck!!! Keep us posted!!
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
425runner (01-03-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-13, 09:13 PM

scarlet801 is on a distinguished road

I am also in Nursing school and I plan my study time when I am at school. I work as a proctor in the nursing school computer lab. My main job is occasionally filling the printer with paper. I spend that 4-6 hour time span studying. I break it up in chunks -- like every hour I take a 10 minute break and look over FB or a forum or two.

I actually took that job for the quiet long spans of available study time. I do not always study like that but most of the time I do.

Could you go to the library to study? Or to a café?

An excel spreadsheet would just freak me out... I would not be able to get over the orderliness of it!

I never study at home -- it is almost impossible for me to use my time wisely.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scarlet801 For This Useful Post:
425runner (11-18-13), finallyfound10 (01-03-14)
Old 11-17-13, 11:02 PM
Contributor

eats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really nice

I did some homework today because it was the only day that I had time. So I decided to sit down and do it (and it worked!) I did stuff 25 min at a time, with a 5 in break in between.

You say I'm weird? Well, I grew up next to a power
plant, what's your excuse?
Old 11-17-13, 11:51 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,960 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

One part of the solution:

- required scheduling of fun activities in reasonable amounts

- schedule work sessions short and early, with some free space after them; always go ahead with every short session, regardless of mood or sleep status or anything else; after the short session, you have the free option to keep going if you're on a roll, or to stop if things are not going well.
Old 11-18-13, 03:10 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

RobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of light

I've sort of fallen into a routine around my class and work schedules, which are guaranteed not to change from week to week (or even day to day). I wish I could explain it better, but for me, whenever this does happen, it just happens naturally around my schedule. I guess it helps that I also sort of know how my body works, like it thinks that mornings before class are for sleep and only sleep and late nights are great times to turn up energy levels. It's not about actively scheduling as much as training self to fall into a routine.
Old 11-18-13, 07:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

Pingu* will become famous soon enough

Summary of things to try:
  • Some sort of alarm to remind to study.
  • Accountability partner.
  • Schedule fun activities so they get done too!
  • Schedule small study sessions, and decide continue or not after that.
  • Get an evening routine (because daytime schedule varies).
  • Try to figure out own activity and energy pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonecat View Post
What I really want is some kind of app where I can set it to remind me to do a brief block of study time, [...]
This would be really handy to not forget about studying, when not actively scheduling it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyfound10 View Post
I am in nursing school not med school (my hat is off to you!!) but I've heard that there is much more out there- i.e. med school student forums/message boards- where thay talk in great detail about pretty hard-core study schedules.
My classmates are soo serious I can't imagine how they manage to study from 8 to 5. I'm think our education isn't as tough as in the US though. I'm very thankful I have a good memory - I'd never make it without that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyfound10 View Post
I'm sure that you can find another ADHDer on one of them and perhaps be accountability partners. Even just giving tips to one another could help.
Hmm, I've thought about this. But I'm not sure I could keep it up. Worth a try, though. I'd really like having someone at university but I can't get a mentor without a formal diagnosis, and there's no one suitable in the support group I attend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet801 View Post
Could you go to the library to study? Or to a café?
I often go to a café. Tea and biscuit helps with focus And some sort of background noise/other people's presence helps me too. Libraries don't work unfortunately.
It's very helpful to be able to go to a café instead of home after class if I feel that I have energy for studying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
- required scheduling of fun activities in reasonable amounts
I'll try to force some social interaction into my week!
It sounds so stupid (but hopefully not on this board), but I don't really have any fun activities. Answering "what's your hobby?" during smalltalk is impossible - I've learned to lie! Also, it's hard for me to start fun activities too, not just boring ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
- schedule work sessions short and early, with some free space after them; always go ahead with every short session, regardless of mood or sleep status or anything else; after the short session, you have the free option to keep going if you're on a roll, or to stop if things are not going well.
I haven't thought about this - I do "ok, I'll read for 5 minutes, and continue if I want to", but I haven't actively scheduled such sessions. I just need to remind myself to do it. I'll try writing them in my calendar and hope I look at it often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotInDisguise View Post
I've sort of fallen into a routine around my class and work schedules, which are guaranteed not to change from week to week (or even day to day).
Unfortunately my schedule is different every week and day. I live week-by-week to not get overwhelmed. Maybe I can try getting a regular routine for evening study.
Learning to know the body seems really important. I haven't paid much attention to be fair. But maybe I can find a pattern to when I'm tired/active. How did you figure it out?
The Following User Says Thank You to Pingu* For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (01-03-14)
Old 01-02-14, 09:14 PM

brickbreaker is on a distinguished road

A cool suggestion I read once for grade school children with ADD was geared for completing assignments. Probably won't work as well as with studying unless you can adjust it.
Set up a table with multiple stations for different assignments/subjects and work at one station as long as you can. When you want to get up and move, go to the next station. Like I said, a cool idea, but it needs some customization.