ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-13, 03:04 PM

Sqillz is on a distinguished road
Angry Turned out I have ADD

Hi, Name's Riley

21 y old and turned out to have ADD.
Even though i'm glad that I found out, right now i hate it...
I hope I get used to it soon and that i'll find some ways to stop forgetting things. It's seriously messing with my life..

I just want to know 2 things right now.

How does the medicine Ritalin work? How do you feel afterwards?

Do you guys know a few tricks wich would help me forget less?
And don't say, buy a diary, cause I tried it already!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sqillz For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (11-20-13), Nicksgonefishin (11-18-13)
Old 11-18-13, 04:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,912 Times in 958 Posts
Nicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant future
Re: Turned out I have ADD

Meds work differently for everybody. My medication helps me in all aspects of daily life. Now I get things done! Most of all my meds make me self aware.

Being diagnosed and begining treatment is not a bad thing! It is probably the most miraculous thing to ever happen in my life! Don't get me wrong ADHD is not a gift but diagnosis and proper treatment is.

As far as memory goes it's all about writing lists and visual reminders and saying things out loud. I'm a big fan of Russel barkley's "taking charge of adult ADHD" is great for tips on dealing with ADHD. If you're down and you need to not feel alone Edward Hallowell has some great books "delivered from distraction"

Also you have found this forum. I spent months sulking before finding this forum. You can come here with any questions no matter how big or small and will almost always find someone who can relate to you.

Also don't just buy a diary. Buy a white board, post it notes, a note pad, and a couple planners cause you will probably loose them. Put a note pad and sticky notes everywhere! In the bathroom, in your car, next to your bed, on your shirt!

Research mindfulness as well as it is very helpful.
Antares (11-20-13)
Old 11-19-13, 03:17 PM
Contributor

Hawutwut is a name known to allHawutwut is a name known to allHawutwut is a name known to allHawutwut is a name known to allHawutwut is a name known to allHawutwut is a name known to all

What sorts of things do you forget?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-13, 12:19 AM

Antares is on a distinguished road

I wasn't all happy with the ADHD diagnosis, some things came crashing home, like all those things people have been blaming you for years for, there is now a reason. Not an excuse, but a reason.

I have found just simple habits help a lot. Know yourself. I have found I lose my house keys a lot, but I know they could only be in a handful of places. For me: check the coffee table, check the kitchen table, check next to the computer, check the jeans you wore yesterday. :P

Other habits may be easier. Designate a "home" for things. Clutter can be a major problem, but if you avoid it it can make things easier. I know this stuff sounds kind of obvious. It takes a month roughly to develop a new habit, but once it's there you don't even think about it any more.
The Following User Says Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
someothertime (11-30-13)
Old 11-20-13, 10:36 AM

Reefer is on a distinguished road

Don't hate it, nothing changed you are still who you are.

Coping mechanisms for me are to keep my life as simple as possible, like:
- Don't lock yourself in appointments, I avoid making hard appointments, keep it open, like instead of agreeing to be there on this date at such and such time, I tell them I'm not sure yet and ask them to give me a call that day to see if we can do something, this avoids making you feel "stupid" cause you did not remember the appointment.

- unclutter your living area, I noticed clutter around me = clutter in my head, clutter in my head means I start forgetting things, try to get a system to do things.

Just my 2 cent though...
Old 11-30-13, 01:30 AM

Beckaaa is on a distinguished road

Hello Squillz!
Welcome to the world of diagnosed ADD! I am new to this website, but I keep doing searches about ADHD, and this website keeps popping up with people who are experiencing the same things I am related to ADHD, so its great that you started on this website!

My experience with ADD.... I am 23, I was just diagnosed "officially" by 3 different psychiatrists/ psychologists starting when I was 21. Yes, I have had ADD my whole life, but I am guessing like yourself, it was not too much of a problem for you over the years until recently, and now your ADD is becoming a bit harder to handle!

Firth thing: Get diagnosis from psychiatrists/ psychologists (full philological analysis).
Next: Talk over prescription options and try out small doses to make sure you have the right prescription for you. Everyone's different (my mom is on Strattaera, I am on Conerta/ Ritalin).

Everyone is different, but the biggest side effects I have had while on Concerta is: At first stomach problems, weight loss/ appetite suppressed (I lost 10% of my body weight in less than a year), sometimes sleeplessness, at one point I had an odd heart rhythm, weakened immune system, some days (not often) it feels like the prescription has an opposite effect.

The worst side effect by far for me is the weakened immune system! I feel like I am almost always sick (about 4X a year I have a severe sickness of some sort, ranging from stomach flu to an extreme version of a cold), they are also a lot more severe and last much longer! I feel though that this symptom is because I don't weigh very much (about 98lbs.).

Also it is tricky to boost the immune system while on Concerta (Ritalin), I have seen elsewhere (and experienced myself) that vitamin C inhibits the effects! So I have found other methods: Echinacea, B12, B6, a multivitamin w/ not a lot of vitamin C, Zicam (Zinc), and lastly, my latest addition after a lot of research Trametes versicolor (Turkey tail) supplement.

I have been on Trametes versicolor for 3 weeks now (along w/ the other vitamins), taking 1mg daily, I just got sick again, however it is not nearly as severe! So I will simply up my Trametes versicolor dose and see what happens!

Overall, to answer your question, there dis no cure for ADD/ ADHD, however Concerta (Ritalin) just helps to better manage my symptoms. I also had to change my lifestyle around to help manage symptoms (bigger study time slot, planner for organizing, an occupational advisor....) After all the drawbacks I have experienced I will still remain on it until I graduate college, and I recommend it to other people with ADD/ ADHD, however if the side effects start to outweigh the benefits for you, then get off the prescription as soon as possible!
The Following User Says Thank You to Beckaaa For This Useful Post:
someothertime (11-30-13)
Old 11-30-13, 06:27 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,554 Times in 13,428 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Meds help calm some of the chatter in my brain.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 12-02-13, 06:52 AM

ZeeshanMukhtar is on a distinguished road

Ritalin (methylphenidate) is a central nervous system stimulant. It affects chemicals in the brain and nerves that contribute to hyperactivity and impulse control.

Ritalin is used to treat attention deficit disorder (ADD) and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). It is also used in the treatment of a sleep disorder called narcolepsy (an uncontrollable desire to sleep). When given for attention deficit disorders, Ritalin should be an integral part of a total treatment program that may include counseling or other therapies.