ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 11-11-13, 12:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,354 Times in 12,692 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
How do I get my gp to follow the psychiatrist's recommendation

Considering that she didn't believe I can have adhd and all the psychiatrists she has referred me to diagnosed me with depression or bp rather than adhd.

I'm an idiot as wll. I should have spoken to Her before see ing the psychiatrist to keep her in the loop. She also won't be thrilled that I stopped sertraline without telling her.

Anyway better get going, being late probably wwon't help my case
Old 11-11-13, 12:57 PM

Thanked 23,670 Times in 10,944 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do I get my gp to follow the psychiatrist's recommendation

I'd just tell her that I've tried treating the other stuff and nothing has helped.
So please just give the treatment for ADHD a trial and see what happens.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-11-13)
Old 11-11-13, 01:33 PM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

She refused.

Ugggh.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-13, 02:05 PM

Anyway not to worry. I've got a plan b.

I'm going to drown my sorrows in alcohol, fat And sugar.

Well, at least it's not speed...unlike ritalin apparently
Old 11-11-13, 02:12 PM
The Social Committee LIVES

Thanked 17,719 Times in 8,884 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Can't you get the psychiatrist to give you the prescription?

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-11-13)
Old 11-11-13, 02:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

DelStan will become famous soon enough

Get your records from the psychiatrist take them to your GP.
Try that, I was going to due to money issues a while back but now I don't need to plus the therapy helps out alot. Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to DelStan For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-11-13)
Old 11-11-13, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi View Post
Can't you get the psychiatrist to give you the prescription?
That's what I'll have to do now. But it will take time ajd it also means that ill have to pay for the meds myself. I've hot no idea how expensive they are

.the altenative is to be referred again to secondary care, ie nhs pssychiatrist which means a 4-6 week long waiting list and then ill have to convince them again that I've hot adhd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I'd just tell her that I've tried treating the other stuff and nothing has helped.
So please just give the treatment for ADHD a trial and see what happens.
I did. I told her all of that. She just didn't believe me I guess. Anyway apparently she's never prescribed stimulants, aka speed, before and is just not comfortable doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelStan View Post
Get your records from the psychiatrist take them to your GP.
Try that, I was going to due to money issues a while back but now I don't need to plus the therapy helps out alot. Good luck
I did. The psychiatrist has also faxed his report. She had it in front of her during my appointment.

Uggh.
Old 11-11-13, 02:46 PM

Thanked 23,670 Times in 10,944 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
She refused.

Ugggh.

Ugggh indeed.

Psychiatrists here in the States can and do prescribe meds. Don't they do
that there?

How about calling the psychiatrist and telling him that the GP disagrees
with the diagnosis or the treatment ... and ask what you should do now.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-11-13)
Old 11-11-13, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Ugggh indeed.

Psychiatrists here in the States can and do prescribe meds. Don't they do
that there?

How about calling the psychiatrist and telling him that the GP disagrees
with the diagnosis or the treatment ... and ask what you should do now.
I left him a voice mail and emailed him. He isn't usually the quickest to reply.

I was day dreaming today about how good i might feel soon to finally get something done with the help of meds. I really am a moron.
Old 11-11-13, 03:27 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,952 Times in 9,009 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I really am a moron.
Really? You're calling my friend a moron? Come over here and say that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Abi (11-11-13), Fuzzy12 (11-11-13), Lunacie (11-11-13), VeryTired (11-11-13)
Old 11-11-13, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
Really? You're calling my friend a moron? Come over here and say that.
I wish I could. I'm so tired of this ****.

It's exactly two years now that I mentioned adhd to my gp for the first time.

I'm sorry, I'm just having a little pity party again. I actually am having a bit of a party, beer and veggie cocktail sausages. Hubby is away so I can drink in peace without being accused of being an alcoholic. I'm surprisingly doing some reading for work as well. Maybe I don't need stimulants. Maybe I just need to start drinking in the morning.
Old 11-11-13, 03:39 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,952 Times in 9,009 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe I don't need stimulants. Maybe I just need to start drinking in the morning.
Yeah, that's a promising strategy.

The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-11-13)
Old 11-19-13, 05:48 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,913 Times in 13,080 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

The way to get a GP to follow guidelines of your psychiatrist?

A shot gun. Works every time.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-19-13)
Old 11-19-13, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
The way to get a GP to follow guidelines of your psychiatrist?

A shot gun. Works every time.
Not a bad idea. If I hold a gun to her head I think she'd be willing to believe that I have all kinds of other disorders as well, apart from ADHD...

I remember the first GP I ever saw about this, more than 2 years ago now. I told him all my problems and he said "well, it's likely that you suffer from ADHD, depression, OCD, and other mental health disorders..."

I found it extremely funny then (it still cracks me up: "...and other mental health disorders" ) but I'm thinking if he'd been my regular GP (He was just a locum) he might have been a lot more cooperative than my regular GP, Ms Ritalin_is_speed.