ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-13, 04:39 PM

Ailurophile is on a distinguished road
Undiagnosed, but here. Hi all.

l'm 50 years old and have been "different" my entire life. l did well marks-wise at school, but learned by osmosis as l just couldn't stay on task, or even get on task. l was always in trouble for being disruptive, not working, or working too slowly. l remember being "gone" for entire classes where l would "come back" at the sound of chairs scraping back, signalling the class had ended. This was all the way back through to when l started school at age 4.
l've learned now to keep things in focus, or to keep reminding myself to stay on task. And l have no problems at all being attentive to some things, whereas others l find myself flitting all over the place. l've never been hyper, but l'm very inattentive, disorganized, and flitty.

Anyway, l guess l'm here to find out if there is any benefit to seeking diagnosis one way or the other? ls there any help (outside of meds) available? Organizational skills, motivation enhancement, sociability help, etc. that is geared toward someone with long-term problems in those areas?

Thanks in advance and hello from Canada.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ailurophile For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (11-23-13), someothertime (11-23-13)
Old 11-23-13, 04:30 AM
mod-estly regulated

Thanked 5,446 Times in 2,991 Posts
someothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Undiagnosed, but here. Hi all.

Hey there... and welcome!

Is there a benefit? In most cases yes... Though it's all about quality of life... How accepting you are of yourself..... how your managing with what you want to do.

If your pretty happy with alot of stuff.... I'd be tempted to try locate an experienced coach. This will help to break down where you'd like to find alternate modes. Then depending on how this goes, whether you seek a diagnosis would become much clearer.

Maybe buy a good book or two ( be careful not to overload yourself with info ). The Barkley Adult one is quite good. Lemme know if you need more suggestions. Personally, medication helps me read, and do. This has a somewhat "keystone" effect that accelerates change/learning.
~ SB_UK ~
The Following User Says Thank You to someothertime For This Useful Post:
Ailurophile (11-23-13)
Old 11-23-13, 04:36 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,954 Times in 9,009 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Hello from another Canadian...

Deciding whether to seek diagnosis is a simple thing, because there's only one question you need to answer: In terms of these symptoms, are you all right with continuing just as you are? If yes, then drop the subject. If no, then make an appointment with the appropriate person. (I ended up getting a referral from a GP to a psychiatrist; I suspect that's the norm in Canada, but I can't prove it.)
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Ailurophile (11-23-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-13, 10:44 AM

Ailurophile is on a distinguished road

l actually hadn't considered talking to my GP, but that's an excellent suggestion. l'm going to do that.
And a coach sounds perfect. Again, l didn't know there was such a thing as a daily living coach, which is exactly what l need.
l need to research this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ailurophile For This Useful Post:
someothertime (11-23-13)
Old 11-30-13, 03:11 PM
Jr Member

Bebop23 is on a distinguished road

I just started coming to terms with this quite recently too, when my daughter was recently diagnosed with it. Until then, I had just always known I was different, and that she was growing up struggling with the same.

Anyway, I'm also a Canadian in my late 40s. It felt incredibly isolating having this when I was growing up, and having no inkling what it was. But at least we have much better resources to identify and learn to manage it today.

Best advice from my GP worth passing on is don't stress yourself out about trying to fix this overnight when it's something you've already had your whole life. You can take all the time you want to learn to manage it, consider info on meds, etc.
Old 11-30-13, 05:30 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,954 Times in 9,009 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
l actually hadn't considered talking to my GP, but that's an excellent suggestion. l'm going to do that.
And a coach sounds perfect. Again, l didn't know there was such a thing as a daily living coach, which is exactly what l need.
l need to research this.
If you do that, that's great. I caution you to not pick the best coach, but to pick the coach who knows ADHD. If you get a coach who is not an ADHD expert, they will frustrate you, you will frustrate them, and it will be a terrible mess. If they say they don't mind if you have ADHD they'll work with you anyway, they probably don't know what they're talking about.
Old 11-30-13, 06:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,131 Times in 1,930 Posts
Daydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome!
Old 12-02-13, 06:50 AM

ZeeshanMukhtar is on a distinguished road

Hello,
Newly joined this forum. Nice forum.