ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-13, 11:42 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,042 Posts
psychopathetic has much to be proud ofpsychopathetic has much to be proud ofpsychopathetic has much to be proud ofpsychopathetic has much to be proud ofpsychopathetic has much to be proud ofpsychopathetic has much to be proud ofpsychopathetic has much to be proud ofpsychopathetic has much to be proud ofpsychopathetic has much to be proud ofpsychopathetic has much to be proud of
Is ADD the same thing as ADHD?

Are they the same thing? I keep using the ADD acronym thinking it was different then ADHD...but now I'm starting to think they're the same thing lol.
If they aren't the same...can anyone tell what the difference is?
Thanks guys!

"we will fail until we learn how to succeed"
---Stevuke79
Old 12-15-13, 11:50 AM
Contributor

Drogheda is a name known to allDrogheda is a name known to allDrogheda is a name known to allDrogheda is a name known to allDrogheda is a name known to allDrogheda is a name known to all
Re: Is ADD the same thing as ADHD?

old school ADD was the type of ADD when you are less hyperactive and more shut in. ADHD was the wild cards back then.

today they are all ADHD because it is more understood now as a general executive disorder, and if I remember correctly there are 12 executives that everyone has. I'm not sure of all the terminology, but I'm sure other people will be able to fill in those blanks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drogheda For This Useful Post:
Diony (12-15-13), Dizfriz (12-15-13), psychopathetic (12-15-13)
Old 12-15-13, 11:52 AM

Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,042 Posts
psychopathetic has much to be proud ofpsychopathetic has much to be proud ofpsychopathetic has much to be proud ofpsychopathetic has much to be proud ofpsychopathetic has much to be proud ofpsychopathetic has much to be proud ofpsychopathetic has much to be proud ofpsychopathetic has much to be proud ofpsychopathetic has much to be proud ofpsychopathetic has much to be proud of

Thanks Drog

That's pretty much exactly what I thought the difference was...and why I've been calling myself ADD instead of ADHD (I'm so not hyperactive in a physical sense!).

"we will fail until we learn how to succeed"
---Stevuke79
The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Diony (12-15-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-13, 04:45 PM

Thanked 9,351 Times in 5,140 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

I thought adhd was the the one that put a big red target on your back by teachers,students that every time you acted up or out you were singled out and either sent to principals office,time out or home or all 3?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
Diony (12-15-13), ginniebean (12-15-13), Nicksgonefishin (12-15-13), psychopathetic (12-15-13)
Old 12-15-13, 07:41 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Diony has a spectacular aura aboutDiony has a spectacular aura about

I think they just call it adhd nowadays but the only major different is the h (Hyper) part of it but i also read that even females have adhd, theres a higher percentage of males who have it but i think that guys are more naturally hyper as it is! Lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Diony For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (12-15-13)
Old 12-15-13, 07:54 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,588 Times in 810 Posts
Nicksgonefishin has much to be proud ofNicksgonefishin has much to be proud ofNicksgonefishin has much to be proud ofNicksgonefishin has much to be proud ofNicksgonefishin has much to be proud ofNicksgonefishin has much to be proud ofNicksgonefishin has much to be proud ofNicksgonefishin has much to be proud ofNicksgonefishin has much to be proud of

Add is the old term. Now it is all encompassed as ad/hd. Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder because though they are different they all fall on the same spectrum.

I'm a pi so I'm not hyper but I'm on the same spectrum.

Also many adults that were hyper as children are no longer hyper but still have many other adhd traits qualifying them for a disorder.

It's a potato potato argument. There are 9 executive functions.

Depending on who you read they can break up trait clusters and give them names but it is all still adhd.
amen has 6 types.
Barkley has 4
Hallowell recognizes the individual adhd.

Before anyone goes off all 3 recognize that adhd is a spectrum disorder.

It is hard for a linear thinker to imagine the adhd spectrum as it is anything but linear.
psychopathetic (12-15-13)
Old 12-15-13, 08:06 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Diony has a spectacular aura aboutDiony has a spectacular aura about

Nick you are one smart cookie i had a harder time reading that because i dont quite understand it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Diony For This Useful Post:
Nicksgonefishin (12-16-13)
Old 12-16-13, 01:44 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Nicksgonefishin has much to be proud ofNicksgonefishin has much to be proud ofNicksgonefishin has much to be proud ofNicksgonefishin has much to be proud ofNicksgonefishin has much to be proud ofNicksgonefishin has much to be proud ofNicksgonefishin has much to be proud ofNicksgonefishin has much to be proud ofNicksgonefishin has much to be proud of

Dionilda

You also had a hard time undertanding it because i just went straight to the meat skipping many segways along the way and not explaining each of them.

You know how no two snow flakes are exactly alike? Neither are ADHDers symptom clusters. You can't organize them lined up in a row. You can group similar ones but each one is unique.

One can't quantify.... crap.... i lost that thought. .. Anyways.... The qualitative!!!!!

Embrace your uniqueness.
psychopathetic (12-16-13)
Old 12-16-13, 09:53 AM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,633 Times in 650 Posts
Tmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond repute

My two son's are the perfect explanation of the two labels.

First born, just like me, hyper, the world revolves around him, can't tell us anything we already know it all. Can't sit still for too long and we have the tendency to aggravate all around us.

Second born, quiet, friendly, but can't remember a list of two instructions. He doesn't want to do anything stressful, avoids controntation, can sit and play games for hours and knows all the tricks and short cuts, gets along with everyone and makes an attempt to fit in with society unlike me and my older son!

They are a year and a half apart in age and they are as opposite as Felix and Oscar from the odd couple!

I am a walking bill board for AD(H)D. But, I am who I am and today I'm comfortable ion my skin!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tmoney For This Useful Post:
Nicksgonefishin (12-16-13), psychopathetic (12-16-13)
Old 12-16-13, 10:18 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,467 Times in 733 Posts
Corina86 has much to be proud ofCorina86 has much to be proud ofCorina86 has much to be proud ofCorina86 has much to be proud ofCorina86 has much to be proud ofCorina86 has much to be proud ofCorina86 has much to be proud ofCorina86 has much to be proud ofCorina86 has much to be proud ofCorina86 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmoney View Post
My two son's are the perfect explanation of the two labels.

First born, just like me, hyper, the world revolves around him, can't tell us anything we already know it all. Can't sit still for too long and we have the tendency to aggravate all around us.

Second born, quiet, friendly, but can't remember a list of two instructions. He doesn't want to do anything stressful, avoids controntation, can sit and play games for hours and knows all the tricks and short cuts, gets along with everyone and makes an attempt to fit in with society unlike me and my older son!

They are a year and a half apart in age and they are as opposite as Felix and Oscar from the odd couple!

I am a walking bill board for AD(H)D. But, I am who I am and today I'm comfortable ion my skin!
It's like you described my brother and I! Though I doubt I would ever get him into a psychiatrist office for a diagnosis.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corina86 For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (12-16-13), Tmoney (12-18-13)
Old 12-16-13, 11:50 AM

Thanked 9,351 Times in 5,140 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Yup thats me n my bro even tho we are 6 years apart. I was always asked by folks why I coukdnt be more like ny bro, listen, go to school n keep mouth shut n not cause problems n be n uproar everywhere I go?
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (12-16-13)
Old 12-16-13, 12:36 PM
Contributor

Tulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to behold

I'm starting to really dislike the attention deficit part of the name & for me the hyperactive part doesn't fit either.

It doesn't really describe at all what my issues are & to someone who doesn't know what it is, it's confusing.

I strongly believe that the idea of "attention deficit" & that I wasn't hyper is why I wasn't diagnosed earlier. I can hyperfocus like nobody's business & I test really well on standardized education tests, "gifted", therefore I couldn't possibly have a developmental disorder.

I think something like "executive function deficit disorder" would be a much better name. Even if people aren't aware of what the executive functions are, it would be much easier to explain.

I still say ADD most of the time, because I'm not hyperactive & it's just that much shorter.

I don't flirt; I will seduce you with my awkwardness.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tulip7171 For This Useful Post:
Nicksgonefishin (12-16-13), psychopathetic (12-16-13)
Old 12-16-13, 02:38 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip7171 View Post
I'm starting to really dislike the attention deficit part of the name & for me the hyperactive part doesn't fit either.

It doesn't really describe at all what my issues are & to someone who doesn't know what it is, it's confusing.

I strongly believe that the idea of "attention deficit" & that I wasn't hyper is why I wasn't diagnosed earlier. I can hyperfocus like nobody's business & I test really well on standardized education tests, "gifted", therefore I couldn't possibly have a developmental disorder.

I think something like "executive function deficit disorder" would be a much better name. Even if people aren't aware of what the executive functions are, it would be much easier to explain.

I still say ADD most of the time, because I'm not hyperactive & it's just that much shorter.
executive function disorder. I like that. It encompasses all of adhd.

I agree it would make it hard to understand and relate especially to children.
psychopathetic (12-16-13), Tulip7171 (12-16-13)
Old 12-16-13, 07:19 PM
Contributor

Tulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicksgonefishin View Post
executive function disorder. I like that. It encompasses all of adhd.

I agree it would make it hard to understand and relate especially to children.
Explaining it would basically be the same as it is now. The poor working memory, the distracability, the poor processing of tedious info, the organization & motivation issues, etc.

I just think ADHD has such a strong stigma that when people hear it they don't even listen to an explanation of what it really is.

I didn't really know what it meant until my therapist told me why I did & didn't do the things I do.

I don't flirt; I will seduce you with my awkwardness.