ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Science in the Media
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Science in the Media This forum is for articles and stories of scientific importance; open discussion is encouraged

Old 12-15-13, 11:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,141 Times in 2,896 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute
New Models of ADHD causation

Here is some interesting research from a Neuropsychiatrist bt the name of Dr Howard Levinson:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/cerebe...eb11414750.htm

Quote:
Quote:
Intriguing Dyslexia and ADHD Research Explains the Hidden Origins and Successful Treatment of Phobias, Announced by Dr. Harold Levinson

While successfully treating dyslexia and ADHD children and adults with inner-ear-improving medications, Dr. Levinson found that his patients’ many and varied phobias rapidly and unexpectedly disappeared. He then understood the hidden inner-ear and related cerebellar origins of over 90% of the fears and phobias that force anxiety ridden individuals to seek help, and how to better treat them.
and
Quote:
Dr Harold Levinson, a world-renowned psychiatrist and neurologist credited with dramatic medical breakthroughs in the understanding, diagnosis and successful treatment of dyslexia, has clarified inner-ear research into the specific mechanisms and holistic treatment of phobias, as well as how they overlap with each other, dyslexia and ADHD. His now validated cerebellar and inner-ear insights have also led to a "highly original" understanding and treatment of dyslexia and ADHD, each affecting over 10% of mankind.
Interestingly this overlaps very strongly with understandings from chiropractic and from research by the Orthopedic Surgeon Heiner Biedermann, which delineates the mechanisms by which upper neck dysfunction causes dizziness.

I would also reference the classic text book
"General Practice" by Prof John Murtagh
Quote:
P652 "The commonest cause of neck pain is ideopathic dysfunction of the facet joints without a history of injury.
This is the syndrome that chiropractors describe as subluxations.

and
Quote:

P657: possible symptoms of problems of cervical spinal origin:
include dizzyness/vertigo, and visual dysfunction
I also reference Biedermann's book Manual Therapy in Children- where he discusses that children are rarely aware of neck and back pain though may complain of headaches, or resist examination of the neck.

Following the Levinson trail leads to this:

http://www.dyslexiaonline.com/blog/r...al-rethinking/

Quote:
Posted by Claudia M Gold November 27, 2013 01:51 PM
When the American Academy of Pediatrics changed the guidelines for ADHD to expand age of diagnosis to include children from age 4-18 (from 6-12), that the number of cases would rise was, by definition, inevitable. Speaking at an international child psychiatry conference with a working title: “The ADHD Diagnosis : a Deconstruction from Developmental, Psychoanalytic, Infant Mental Health and Neuropsychiatric Perspectives, ” Dr. Claudia Gold provided vital insights into determining the varied mechanisms contributing to the symptoms of ADHD as well as offering non-pharmacological alternatives. Thus she states, ” ‘ADHD’, used as a primary diagnosis, has no etiologic significance, is conceptually and diagnostically distracting, leads to a paucity of thinking about a patient’s early developmental history and trauma, and is therapeutically misleading. I hope that there will be a large scale movement to “deconstruct” the ‘ADHD’ diagnosis. In essence deconstructing the diagnosis means eliminating the diagnosis. Instead we would understand and treat the multiple parts that make up what is now called ADHD. Such a process would result in effective early intervention and prevention.

“According to Dr Levinson, “Dr Gold's ADHD concepts and their clinical implementation in young children are exceptional and brilliantly stated. I had proposed similar concepts in my book “Total concentration,” albeit with some differences. At the time I proposed subdividing Concentration Disorders or ADHD into 4-5 diverse and often overlapping etiological categories. And then dissecting their Realistic, Traumatic, Neurotic, Neurophysiological cerebellar-vestibular and Cerebral origins or mechanisms. And then treating each of the contributing mechanisms selectively, rather than viewing this composite syndrome as having only one cause and one corresponding treatment. ”
So, here we have two psychiatrists actually proposing exactly the kind of analysis that I have been proposing of aetiology of ADHD.

Traumatic-- complex childhood trauma
Neurotic--attachment based
Vestibular - Cerebellar- would include upper cervical
Cerebral- head injury, lead poisoning, primary genetic deficiencies in neurotransmitter production +/- dietary deficiencies.
Realistic? That I would have to hunt up a little more- maybe this relates to situations where one is genuinely confused as to what one should attend to?

I must dig further

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Last edited by Kunga Dorji; 12-15-13 at 11:58 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
daveddd (12-17-13), janiew (12-16-13)
Old 12-16-13, 12:04 AM

Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Models of ADHD causation

So- Wikipedia
Quote:
children with dyslexia as he would children with an inner ear problem, using anti-motion sickness medication. He also used the same over-the-counter medication to help treat the associated attention deficit, hyperactivity, impaired concentration and distractability.In interviews about his treatment he has stated that "The inner ear and cerebellum work like a fine-tuner to the brain", and the motion sickness medication helps with the fine tuning.His findings suggested that cerebellar problems cause a scrambling of information, which secondarily confuse higher brain processors. Levinson has been using the same treatment since the 1960s and in 1978 the new treatment was covered by the American press.Levinson appeared on television to discuss his treatment ideas in the late 1970s and early 1980s.In 1985, Levinson observed that 750 out of 1000 dyslexia patients also had problems with balance and coordination. By 1986 Levinson had medically treated more than 8,000 patients with dyslexia, and reported a success rate of between 75% and 80%.He had also studied more than 20,000 patients in total. One of the additional psychological problems Levinson determined was associated with the same brain disorder is the rise of adult phobias Levinson's observations led him to believe that up to 90% of people who suffered from phobias also suffered from cerebellar and inner-ear malfunctions, leading the suffered to believe the fear is rational. He published a book entitled Phobia Free in which his findings were outlined.

So- a mainstream doctor, all highly plausible neurologically,and a reasonable patient base to consider.

His big problem is that he is swimming against the stream at a time when the dominant theoretical paradigm has really dug its heels in.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 12-16-13, 01:28 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,014 Times in 632 Posts
janiew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud of

Very interesting - I have major neck / cervical spine issues. Evidently I fractured the spinous process of my C7 and never knew it until recently. Another interesting thing is that it didn't heal / bond / reattach. But then we didn't know about it and it wasn't treated.

As a result of the untreated fracture and my rheumatoid arthritis, I have major neck issues and am facing surgery in the next 5 years...
Old 12-16-13, 02:08 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,415 Times in 6,122 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia M Gold November 27, 2013 01:51 PM
Deconstruction from Developmental, Psychoanalytic, Infant Mental Health and Neuropsychiatric Perspectives, ” Dr. Claudia Gold provided vital insights into determining the varied mechanisms contributing to the symptoms of ADHD as well as offering non-pharmacological alternatives. Thus she states, ” ‘ADHD’, used as a primary diagnosis, has no etiologic significance, is conceptually and diagnostically distracting, leads to a paucity of thinking about a patient’s early developmental history and trauma, and is therapeutically misleading.

While I am open to integrating various approaches to ADHD treatment to be perfectly clear that I am NOT in favor of deconstructing the diagnosis nor do I support any type of dismissal with regards to the effectiveness of the current medical approach.

I do not subscribe to any type of either or approach to ADHD treatment and I think many will find I am just as willing and able to stand up for the cause of ADHD as a bonafied neurological condition with regards to medical references and clinical approaches to treatment despite my personal belief and perceptions.

This deconstruction approach will only further alienate newer alternative approaches to the main stream medical treatments some thing I am NOT nor have I ever been in favor of as I am first and foremost a believer in integration NOT segregation or do I support stagnation in the name of semantics

- As much as I do believe in researching various options including chiropractic, mindfulness and even dietary I am not in favor of completely eliminating the referential diagnosis that allows people to find medical relief as well as the terms that we use to find each other.

With regards to dyslexia I would have been more impressed if the author had at least known there was more than neuropathic variation in those of us with dyslexia

This research suggests that for dyslexic readers, the left brain areas associated with phonetic decoding are ineffective. While a non-dyslexic reader finds such pathways an efficient route to reading, the dyslexic reader essentially becomes entangled in a neural traffic jam. In contrast, dyslexics who bypass these mental pathways, relying more on areas of the brain involved in nonverbal thought and in analytic thought, are able to become capable readers.

Read more: http://www.dyslexia.com/science/diff...#ixzz2ncBH9OtU

The minute I read about the use of the right hemisphere by pass my reading style instantly made sense - I do not read words I experience the idea being conveyed

I have used the chiropractic approach to relieve subluxatation and I found my depression eased probably because I could sleep without waking up to numb limbs I was still dyslexic and ADHD

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (12-16-13), janiew (12-16-13), SB_UK (12-17-13)
Old 12-17-13, 08:44 AM

Thanked 6,455 Times in 4,705 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post
I have used the chiropractic approach to relieve subluxatation and I found my depression eased probably because I could sleep without waking up to numb limbs I was still dyslexic and ADHD
Since having my atlas fixed - I haven't been able to sit or slouch on a sofa and even feel uncomfortable slouching on a proper chair.

In retrospect - I think that that's a fairly reasonable outcome (ie the sort of thing you'd have expected) which I've experienced.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SB_UK For This Useful Post:
Kunga Dorji (12-17-13), meadd823 (12-20-13)
Old 12-17-13, 09:03 AM

Quote:
While I am open to integrating various approaches to ADHD treatment to be perfectly clear that I am NOT in favor of deconstructing the diagnosis nor do I support any type of dismissal with regards to the effectiveness of the current medical approach.
Why are you not in favour of "deconstructing the diagnosis"? Who is it who tells you that that concept is wrong, and why do you believe them?

The neurology of attention is complex- and a neurological analysis of attention problems is guaranteed to differentiate many different faults in the neurology of attention.

Getting a handle upon them is guaranteed to "deconstruct" attention problems into a number of different causal groups.

Any other approach will be intellectually untenable- but identifying with that position is a choice you must make, not i.

I am pushing you to be free, not to be subsumed by my intellect (as big a danger as that is

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
meadd823 (12-20-13)
Old 12-17-13, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB_UK View Post
Since having my atlas fixed - I haven't been able to sit or slouch on a sofa and even feel uncomfortable slouching on a proper chair.

In retrospect - I think that that's a fairly reasonable outcome (ie the sort of thing you'd have expected) which I've experienced.
Bottom line- since my atlas was fixed- my attention is perfect- when I sit in Burmese or 1/2 lotus position. Full lotus is too painful- it hurts my knees.

The fact that you notice the discomfort of slouching tells me that you are almost there.

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 12-17-13, 09:26 AM

Quote:

I do not subscribe to any type of either or approach to ADHD treatment and I think many will find I am just as willing and able to stand up for the cause of ADHD as a bonafied neurological condition with regards to medical references and clinical approaches to treatment despite my personal belief and perceptions.

This deconstruction approach will only further alienate newer alternative approaches to the main stream medical treatments some thing I am NOT nor have I ever been in favor of as I am first and foremost a believer in integration NOT segregation or do I support stagnation in the name of semantics

- As much as I do believe in researching various options including chiropractic, mindfulness and even dietary I am not in favor of completely eliminating the referential diagnosis that allows people to find medical relief as well as the terms that we use to find each other.

With regards to dyslexia I would have been more impressed if the author had at least known there was more than neuropathic variation in those of us with dyslexia
Quote:
This research suggests that for dyslexic readers, the left brain areas associated with phonetic decoding are ineffective. While a non-dyslexic reader finds such pathways an efficient route to reading, the dyslexic reader essentially becomes entangled in a neural traffic jam. In contrast, dyslexics who bypass these mental pathways, relying more on areas of the brain involved in nonverbal thought and in analytic thought, are able to become capable readers.

Read more: http://www.dyslexia.com/science/diff...#ixzz2ncBH9OtU

The minute I read about the use of the right hemisphere by pass my reading style instantly made sense - I do not read words I experience the idea being conveyed

Meadd- you make some good points-- BUT you have the horns by the bull- rather than having the problem the right way round.
"deconstruction" simply implies that "attention deficit is a "phenotype" that may be arrived at my many different gene-environment interactions, and challenges us to delineate those streams of analysis. If we look at the problem this way- we can see that may different pathways lead to the same phenotypic outcome.
I can gel with a peron who has ADHD as a consequence of complex childhood trauma vs myself- who has atlas subluxation as beig the primary cause.
It does not mater all that much- we all think in roughly the same way-whatever the genetics.

To sum up a separate discussion I have had off site today.
The ideal posture for attentional stability is in Buddhist terms called the "seven point posture of Vairochana (noe of the Buddhas).
That posture is not achievable with an uncorrected atlas subluxation.
This is the commentary that I (nearly) finalised today on that posture:

I hope you appreciate this serious attempt to fuse traditional spiritual explanations of meditation posture with a hard edged physiological explanation of what is happening:
[qupte]
Seven-point posture of Vairochana (Skt. saptadharma-vairocana; Wyl. rnam snang chos bdun; Tib. nam nang chö dün):
  1. Legs crossed
  2. Hands in the lap or on the knees
  3. Back (spine straight)
  4. Shoulders spread like a vulture’s wings
  5. Head and Neck (chin slightly lowered)
  6. Mouth (tip of the tongue touching the palate)
  7. Eyes (gazing past the tip of the nose).[/quote]
My assessment- which is based on neurophysiology and aims to avoid "spiritual" explanations which scare off some "scientific types".

1) Legs crossed:
This is best, but sitting on a chair with the knees lower than the hips and the feet flat on the floor is a reasonable compromise.
We need a stable position that can be held with comfort for extended periods. I prefer "Burmese Position", using a stool. My flexibility is improving but not 100%. We must not force ourselves, endure excessive discomfort, injure our knee ligaments or cause compression injuries to our nerves.
Advantages- stability, “earthing”, left right contact and information exchange.
When knees are lower than hips this reduces negative interoceptive feedback: note that when threatened by predators, pulling the knees up protects the abdomen from evisceration. It is to be expected that the sensory signals generated by this posture will give interoceptive feedback to the brain signalling threat. This certainly applies when one tenses one’s biceps. Additionally, when the knees are lower than the hips the curve of the lumbar spine is "correct". Excess lumbar lordosis causes an autonomic imbalance towards sympathetic overarousal:

see articles 2 and 3 here:
http://stephenporges.com/index.php/s.../publicationss

2) Hand Posture:
This gives us a stable and set place to put hands. We know what we are going to do- so don't waste time deciding on that.

Right hand of wisdom resting in the left hand of compassion with thumbs touching- this mudra generates awareness of the key message behind Buddhism that wisdom must be tempered by compassion. It acts as a reminder of what we are aiming to achieve. So- neurologically it generates a situationally appropriate top down drive.
Again, left- right hand contact increases cross brain traffic and integrated function of the two cerebral hemispheres.
Also- the hands can be elevated a little if becoming tired and that slight tension can help sustain alertness. Additionally the hands together posture helps get the shoulders in place and straighten the back.

Finally- one can focus on the subtle variations in pressure between the barely touching thumb tips as a really subtle and challenging version of breath awareness.
3) Back (spine straight)
Back: ear canals, centre of shoulder joints and centre of hip joints should be aligned and we aim to draw up to our maximal height. The head must be vertical- not tilted.
The old "imagining a string pulling up the top of the head" story is a helpful way to achieve this, as is focussing on elevating the sternum when breathing. The core muscles (erector spinae thoracis) cannot be activated wilfully- so imagining a posture helps here. Think of a statue of a Buddha and try to match that. Use mirrors if needs be.
Be aware though that this business of imitating a posture is within the world of Shamanism. (hence Tibetan Buddhism).

Re a vertical head: I doubt you were aware of it- but your head was on a big tilt all the time we were talking. Not a criticism- just an observation-- why is it so?

Now when we hold this balanced posture we exert minimal muscular effort. This posture can be held for hours with minimal exertion- if our spine is aligned. Our core muscles are designed to cope with the metabolic load of tonic contraction. The more superficial muscles (scalene, trapezius and sternocleidomastoid in the neck, for example, are not.
What happens with more training is that we notice how we contract around anxiety or anger- and we notice that when we relax back into upright posture-- the emotion fizzles out and dies. All we are left with is a difficult situation that needs to be considered and weighed up in the cold, hard light of day. How do we deal with this situation and produce an outcome that will benefit everyone involved?
This is Vipassana- analysing the situation and fitting it in with our best attempt at "right view". You look for the contradictions and the conflicts and ask what they mean- and what it is that you have misunderstood. The teachings have withstood 2,500 years of testing and criticism. Can you better that? Can you "refute the Buddha?"- as Alan Wallace challenges us.
4. Elbows and Shoulders

Simply put- these aid correct upper body posture. Maybe there is more to it than that- I am yet to discover it.

5. Neck and Chin

The neck should be retracted- ears vertically above the centre of the shoulder joint. The chin slightly downwards tilted.
Both of there maneuvers minimise sympathetic overactivation.
Furthermore - if we sit in a posture with head forwards and hyperextension at the joint between the skull and the neck, venous drainage of the brain and CSF flow between the intracranial cavity and the spinal cord are compromised. see :

http://www.upright-health.com/cerebrospinal-fluid.html
So a posture which leads to hyperextension at the skull/neck joint results in: this:

http://www.upright-health.com/cerebrospinal-fluid.html

Cerebrospinal Fluid, Hydrocephalus and Edema
CSF also mixes with the fluids that surround the cells of the brain called interstitial fluids. CSF is thus connected to waste removal from the brain. A back-up in venous outflow causes interstitial edema or swelling. A back-up in CSF causes hydrocephalus. CSF mixes with and leaves the brain with venous blood, therefore, a back-up in the venous drainage system of the brain can lead to a back-up in CSF. This has led some scientists to suggest that edema and hydrocephalus in the brain are essentially one and the same.

My comment:

Interstitial oedema leads to impaired oxygen transfer-and will lead to accumulation of toxic metabolites, and ultimately apoptosis and death of brain cells.
Additionally the hyperextension at this joint sends a powerful inhibitory drive into the cerebellum- and thence to the contralateral frontal lobe. Ultimately the cells in the frontal lobe die because of lack of stimulatory drive.This phenomenon (diaschisis) is well described in terms of the neurology of cerebrovascular accidents, but is much more widely applicable than conventional neurologists would accept. My brain scan from 2008 (SPECT) reflects it perfectly.
Also- an extended neck will put traction on the upper cervical sympathetic ganglion - stimulating unnecessary firing of sympathetic stimuli.

6) Mouth:
Nose breathing increases nitric oxide levels in the blood. The benefits of that are way too big a topic to discuss here.
Also the pressure of the tongue on the point at the back of the upper incisors stimulates an acupressure point that results in parasympathetic activation.
Most of us live in a state of sympathetic hyperstimulation-- so this is useful.
I quote Stephen Porges again:
Again the "Somatic Perspectives in Psychotherapy" interview:
http://stephenporges.com/index.php/s.../publicationss
article 1 in the list:

P11 answer1:
"I started to think about mindfulness meditation and realised that even mindfulness exercises need to be conducted in a safe environment....... I also realised that recruiting the defensive systems associated with the sympathetic nervous system was incompatible with mindfulness.

7:Eyes:

My hypnotherapy training tells me that if the gaze is stabilised, the attention will stabilise. Narrow focus attention (spotlight attention, or single pointed attention) has very close correlation with the high discrimination ability of the macula (central vision) in directing gaze. So- there is no surprise here.

So here is the spiritual- Buddhist interpretation of the same set of instructions.
Probably BOTH ways of considering the information are correct.

So the "traditional way" of seeing this:
Quote:
Quote:
Significance of the Seven Point Buddhist Posture

1. Lower Body
Sit on a soft and comfortable seat, with your legs in the lotus, or diamond posture. This posture shapes your bottom and legs into a triangle, which symbolises the 'womb of enlightenment'. Once you become accustomed to this posture, it will give you a feeling of roundedness, as if you were in direct contact with Mother Earth. You will get to know her qualities of endurance and stability. Mother Earth is the source or womb of all that exists in the world. Physically, it is said that our effusive energy can be controlled by the cross-legged posture. Interlocking the legs expresses harmony between all dualities, including you and the rest of the world, as well as the mind and body. It is the wedding ring that represents the marriage between your spiritual self and the enlightened being. Spiritually, this body language expresses your confidence and determination.

When the Buddha sat under the Bodhi tree on a mattress of Kusha grass, pledging not to move from that posture, the earth shook six times. This is the posture we used as babies. It was only later in our lives that we learned to sit on chairs, sofas and more recently even lazy chairs and bean bags.
2. Hands
Place your hands on your lap, with the back of the right hand flat on the left open palm, and the inside of the tips of the thumbs upraised and gently touching each other, about two inches below the navel. This posture induces a feeling of equanimity. It expresses a withdrawal from extremes of emotion and symbolises the search for spiritual contemplation. By pressing your thumbs together below the navel, which is the centre of psychic heat, you control your thermal energy. On the spiritual level, this position of the hands signifies your aspiration to transcend dualism. It symbolises the indispensability of uniting compassion and wisdom, not striving for one without the other.
By resting your active right hand, representing masculinity, on top of the passive left hand, representing femininity, you begin to cultivate balance and harmony. This is analogous to a carefully coordinated flexing of two wings in preparation for travelling into the space-like freedom of enlightenment. The ten most important subtle veins of our bodies are located at the tips of our fingers. Bringing these veins together in the lap is essential for developing meditation. The importance of hands is illustrated when we shake hands with another person. We intuitively learn something about the other person simply through the hand contact.
3. Back
Keep the backbone straight, with the vertebrae upright so as to extend the entire body, while maintaining a feeling of inner relaxation. This induces the mind to be wakeful and attentive. Although the central channel is very subtle, it is located within the physical spinal column. Maintaining a straight, upright back allows both the subtle airs and the blood to flow easily. If the body is kept straight, the veins will remain straight. When the veins are straight, the subtle element known as Bodhicitta nectar will flow unimpeded and the mind current will also flow freely. The main message here is the importance of keeping the back straight throughout meditation.
Remember that posture controls the diffusive energy of the body. Correct posture symbolises our spiritual confidence and resolute attitude towards our practice. Think of the importance of shooting a straight arrow if we wish to hit the target!
4. Elbows and Shoulders
Straighten your elbows and shoulders evenly. Model yourself on a vulture who is flexing his wings before taking off. This sustains the vital energies by promoting full expansion of the lungs during meditation. This position synchronises and harmonises all the elements of the bodily posture.
5. Neck and Chin
Press your chin downwards slightly so as to allow the neck to bend slightly forwards. Do not bend your neck to either side, or backwards. This would produce unwanted heat in the upper part of the body which could cause sluggishness and drowsiness. A slight forward bending of the neck, on the other hand, helps to channel the

ascending energy and guards against coughing, sneezing and burping during meditation. This posture co- ordinates the position of the head to the rest of the body, particularly the shoulders.
6. Mouth
The tip of the tongue should touch the upper palate, with the teeth barely meeting and lips kept natural. This position helps to avoid extreme dryness and wetness occurring within the mouth, and allows the cooling breath to pass freely between the teeth. Meditators who forget to maintain this position may fall asleep during the meditation, dribbling and with slanted mouths. There are more advanced mouth postures which so effectively promote the blessings of physical vitality that one does not need to eat any gross food.
Actually, our bodies are b3Nand large made weary by our continuous consumption, processing and discharge of gross food. Just imagine that by keeping your mouth in the correct posture you will not only reduce feelings of hunger, but save on your grocery bill at the same time! When you experience hunger, you can simply let your tongue imbibe more fresh saliva from the upper palate, which will keep you going for quite a while. Do not neglect the tongue posture, it is very important to the success of your meditation.
7. Eyes
The eyes should gaze serenely into the space a little beyond the tip of the nose, without the eyeballs moving or the eyelids blinking. Our eyes contain the nerves which govern discursive thoughts. It is therefore crucial to control them by maintaining the correct gaze. You are not focussing on anything in particular, yet at the same time you are not avoiding anything, either. Never shut your eyes while meditating. To do so is considered very inauspicious in the Tibetan system of meditation. My teacher always opens his eyes as widely as possible during visualisation meditation. If you shut your eyes, it will spoil your mouth posture and may even induce sleep. Keeping the eyes in the correct gaze also helps to relax the facial muscles, and will remove wrinkles caused by worry and anxiety. This immobile gaze of the eyes will help to control all the secondary energies, revitalise the nervous system, reduce blood pressure, stress and anxiety, evoke spiritual energies and stabilise your regenerative fluids, particularly the seminal fluids in their respective planes. The eyes are very important. You can tell a lot about another person by looking into his or her eyes.

Same basic data but a medical explanation vs a spiritual explanation

Now do you see that the same data can be cut, diced and rearranged according to our "chosen intellectual framework' and that no one framework necessarily has precedence or the right to be regarded as correct?

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Last edited by Kunga Dorji; 12-17-13 at 09:36 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
daveddd (12-17-13), meadd823 (12-20-13)
Old 12-17-13, 09:37 AM

Thanked 11,260 Times in 5,501 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

i had a lot of inner ear infections as a kid

also its highly correlated with poor tissue connectivity problems found in fragile x

fragile x has over a 90% adhd rate
eclectic beagle (12-23-13)
Old 12-20-13, 06:18 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,415 Times in 6,122 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Are you still experiencing those ADD type traits to the same degree that you did when you were diagnosed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunga Dorji View Post

Meadd- you make some good points-- BUT you have the horns by the bull- rather than having the problem the right way round.
"deconstruction" simply implies that "attention deficit is a "phenotype" that may be arrived at my many different gene-environment interactions, and challenges us to delineate those streams of analysis. If we look at the problem this way- we can see that may different pathways lead to the same phenotypic outcome.
I can gel with a peron who has ADHD as a consequence of complex childhood trauma vs myself- who has atlas subluxation as beig the primary cause.
It does not mater all that much- we all think in roughly the same way-whatever the genetics.
I am against deconstruction because I think it will do nothing but create more confusion with regards to those seeking relief from their impairment. Personally I do not agree with the impairment aspect I feel my ADHD traits are an extreme of a continuum that simply does not gel well with present day social expectations Regardless of what I personally believe I still have to function with in present day society well enough to provide a roof over my head and buy cat food

Getting diagnosed and helped is already a humongous feat for many. I was misdiagnosed thus experienced several treatment failures before being diagnosed with ADHD - If ADD was deconstructed would I have ever received help at all?

I mean I do not doubt that you are accurate in your own experience but we may not all be effected the same way. There is no way to know how many of us have ADD symptoms for the same reason you do. This deconstruction will more than likely end up being complete dismissal of ADD as a legit diagnosis thus sending us back to square one -

If "we" {the general sense we} can not handle one condition with three sub-sets I feel the chances of a using more complex fluid approach being of any treatment value to the majority of ADDers to be even less likely thus even fewer people would actually be acknowledged as having a legitimate condition and offered treatment options = medical or other wise .

I am alternate in much of my personal points of view with my own ADHD but when it comes to massive changes in the medical paradyme with regards to ADHD diagnosis and treatment I tend to be more conservative because of the struggles faced by so many under our present day less complex but more concrete approach.

I will have to try those postures out and delved further into your presentation another time I have had a long day and need to get into bed. I do not want to respond to those parts of your response which I have not sufficiently read and considered.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

Last edited by meadd823; 12-20-13 at 06:42 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
Kunga Dorji (12-20-13)
Old 12-20-13, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
i had a lot of inner ear infections as a kid

also its highly correlated with poor tissue connectivity problems found in fragile x

fragile x has over a 90% adhd rate
OK- you have trumped me- I did not know that.
Now I do
Thankyou.

Very well done-- now we are seeing a new model emerging.
Each of us contributes our own observations and creates a bigger, better whole.
This outcome cannot happen within the hierarchical model of control of university dominated allopathic medicine.
This model is the basis of the new world we are collaborating in as we dismantle the basis of hierarchical power within any field of knowledge, and we learn to respect the genuine contributions of the learned and courageous individual.

Think on this as an extension to where you are already going:
Ref :
"Fibromyalgia syndrome: A Practitioner's Guide to Ttreatment."
Ed Leon Chaitow (Osteopath).
Chapter 1 "Other theories of causation: P13
Quote:
1)Duna & Wilke (1993) propose that disordered sleep leads to reduced serotonin production......."
2)Dysautonomia, autonomic imbalance or dysfunction, characterised by relentless sympathetic hyperactivity, more prominent at night (Martinez-Lavin & Hermilosillo 2005), have been proposed as foundational causes within a subgroup of individuals with FMS (and CFS).....
3) As will be outlined, some research studies have found evidence of a genetically linked predisposition towards FMS. Congenital structural abnormalities such as extreme ligamentous laxity..... certainly seem to seem to predispose towards FMS.
Anyone with a proper understanding of the physiology of the autonomic nervous system would understand that ligamentous laxity would predispose towards both dysautonomia (and hence deficient emotional self regulation "DESR- see Stephen Faraone- a BIG name in ADHD research. His talk on this is on You Tube".
p16

Quote:
Many FMS patients exhibit low carbon dioxide levels when resting- an indication of possible hyperventilation
...and also an expected outcome of "Upper Crossed Posture" Ref Dr Vladimir Janda, or "Sternal Stress syndrome" (Ref Hiener Biedermann, Manual Therapy in children. Upper crossed posture is an expected outcome of "subocciptal strain"- see Biedermann and below.

Quote:
Trauma, (eg whiplash) seems to be a key factor in many cases of FMS, and especially cervical injuries, especially those involving the suboccipital musculature (Bennett 1986b, Curatolo et al 2001,Hallegren et al 1993)....
and now to the dual punchlines:
Chapter 1 P13:
Quote:
Hudson et al (2004) have proposed that fibromyalgia is one member of a group of 14 psychiatric and medical disorders (ADHD, bulemia/anorexia nervosa/dysthymic disorder, generalised anxiety disorder, major depressive disorder, obsessive - compulsive disorder, panic disorder, PTSD, premenstrual dysphoric disorder and social phobia plus four medical conditions: fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome, migraine and cataplexy, collectively termed "affective spectrum disorder", hypothesised to share possibly heritable pathophysiological features.
Following detailed analysis of data from 800 individuals with and without fibromyalgia (and the additional conditions under assessment) Hudson et al Concluded that the present information added to the evidence that the psychiatric and medical disorders, grouped under the term ASD, run together in families, raising the possibility that these disorders might share a heritable physiological abnormality.
and finally
Chapter 3 p73
Quote:
"Some prevalence rates of hypermobility"
3. There may also be compensatory hypermobility, resulting from hypomobility elsewhere in the musculoskeletal system...
In Biedermann's book (see y thread on Upper Cervical problems and ADHD, he specifies that the outcome of a functional injury to the upper cervical region at birth is a chronic hypomobility and hyperextension in the upper cervical region and also that he believes there is a genetic element to the problem, associated with the morphology of the upper cervical vertebrae.

So-- the big question (I do not know): Is fragile X associated with ligamentous laxity?
(Your turn to research- it is well past my bedtime

If anyone wants the full details of the references tagged- please pm me.

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

daveddd (12-20-13)
Old 12-20-13, 09:37 AM

daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

http://books.google.com/books?id=5YK...ointed&f=false
Old 12-20-13, 09:38 AM

Quote:

im not positive , but i think this is what you mean right?
Old 12-20-13, 10:27 AM

Quote:

Since my atlas was fixed- formal meditation posture works better than anything else.

That has to be a good sign.

I will post on the neurophysiology of the "Seven Point Posture of Vairochana" another night.
The draft is almost finalised.

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 12-20-13, 10:28 AM

Quote:
im not positive , but i think this is what you mean right?

Nice work.
That is a keeper.
Thank you again, for both your attention, and your discriminating intellect.

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

daveddd (12-20-13)