ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 02-02-14, 02:23 PM

ischmaael is on a distinguished road
There's something wrong with you. Here's some more suspension days to fix it.

My bosses keep telling me "there's something wrong." They've written me up 5x in the last 3 months for missing little things. They call it "poor decision making" when I miss instructions, mis-check a box, etc. I'm going through menopause, which seems to have skyrocketed my adhd tendencies, and made it so that all the things that worked all these years no longer work. So now, they keep disciplining me even though they admit they thing there "is something wrong." That seems very, very wrong to me. I was moved out of my position last week, and they are threatening to take away my supervision role and to fire me if I don't improve. I've had testing done, but I can't tell them that. I should get the results next week. I won't be able to take medication, due to my job. I'm really getting depressed. I've been going to a counselor (who also has adhd) and doing absolutely everything I'm told, except that i'm haviing a hard time exercising enough. The stress is just growing, and they can't understand that by calling me into the office and chewing me out every week they are increasing the stress which increases the liklihood of mistakes. I don't know what to do and I feel like such a failure at this point. I've never been able to NOT find a coping mechanism or a tool that worked. Does anyone know if there is any thing I can cite to my HR department to get them to back off while I work on this, and stop diciplining me for a health issue, so I can get things settled down? I'm afraid to tell them the diagnosis, (which I'm sure I'll be given next week.) I'm afraid that they will say my diagnosis is not compatible with my job. I feel so alone in all of this.
The Following User Says Thank You to ischmaael For This Useful Post:
Blanched Dubois (02-05-14)
Old 02-02-14, 05:21 PM
ADDvanced Member

agirlandherdogs will become famous soon enough
Re: There's something wrong with you. Here's some more suspension days to fix it.

are you being evaluated for ADD/ADHD? or are you diagnosed already? why can't you take medication due to your job, that right there is wrong!

I have found this to be a very critical, but often overlooked area in treating women with ADD (ADHD). I often hear from women who report that as they enter perimenopause and the "flashes" begin, they have more problems with their ADD (ADHD) symptoms or that their stimulant medication does not seem to be working as well as it did previously.
http://www.addvance.com/help/women/hormones.html
Old 02-02-14, 05:43 PM

Thanked 4,033 Times in 1,961 Posts
willow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: There's something wrong with you. Here's some more suspension days to fix it.

Yeah the not being able to take meds due to job I don't get either.

Also I'm pretty sure it would be against the law for them to fire you because of having ADHD. I think other people have advice about disclosing, I've seen threads about it come up before.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-14, 05:59 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,967 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

My post here is very opinionated. I happen to think it's correct and complete. I may be wrong, and it would be a blessing if I was.

But here goes...

"HR department" means "firing department". It's as simple as that - that's the only reason they exist. Stay away from them, and do not tell them anything at all unless you have absolutely no choice. Like on the TV cop shows, "anything you say can and will be used against you".
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Rebelyell (02-02-14)
Old 02-02-14, 06:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,014 Times in 632 Posts
janiew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud of

It can be hard to call it like it is... And you have to deal with the powers that be...
Old 02-02-14, 06:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

janiew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiew View Post
It can be hard to call it like it is... And you have to deal with the powers that be...
Big smiley...
Old 02-02-14, 06:46 PM

faller is on a distinguished road

Sounds like bad leadership for starters. Why can you not take medication?
Old 02-02-14, 08:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

mischaelman is on a distinguished road

Is your doctor and/or counselor aware of the situation? If they are not, you should notify them immediately.

At least one of these people should be able to advise you and act as an advocate. If they are unable to assist you in this matter, they should refer you to someone who can act as an advocate on your behalf.

The longer this continues, the less chance you have of salvaging it. Under ADA, if the employer is unaware of a disability and how it is impacting job performance, they are able to discipline and fire. The employer admitting something is wrong is not enough. You need to get medical documentation (preferably something that does not disclose your diagnosis) and advice from a knowledgeable advocate ASAP.

Consider starting with your state's resources for disability employment law.

Knowing the law and your companies' policies are a good starting point to finding a solution with the HR department.
Old 02-02-14, 08:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Bad leadership.

Some reality testing to figure out who / what / why.

Not all pdocs and counselors are equal...
Old 02-04-14, 09:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,956 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

I think you should talk to a disability lawyer asap if you can afford one. Make sure you check their credentials cause some lawyers are better than others.

Your case sounds very unique and people here can't really give good advice without knowing the specifics (which I can understand why you might not want to share on a public forum). Plus advice from any board, as fantastic as this board is, you always need to take with a grain of salt cause they don't know you and you don't know them.

By the way, you aren't alone even if it feels like you are. We understand and are all there with you.

Last edited by acdc01; 02-04-14 at 09:17 PM..
Old 02-04-14, 11:47 PM

Thanked 21,931 Times in 7,991 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they do know how much stress it adds and they know it will cause you to make more mistakes. They're calling you in to create a paper trail. They won't mind if you quit and are getting ready to lower the boom.

Really withaout diagnosis you don't have anything, with a diagnosis they can still get around it. I've checked, people with ADHD lose discrimination law suits. Judges moralize our symptoms.. go figure

NEVER tell HR or anyone you're employed with your diagnosis, Legally they are not allowed to ask, any accomodations are put forth by a doctor and you have to follow the protocols they set in place. All they need to know is you have a recognised disability and what accomodations you're requesting.
Old 02-05-14, 12:28 AM

Location: you carry your claim wherever you go - bob wier ACE
Thanked 1,467 Times in 923 Posts
Blanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant future

http://www.tn.gov/labor-wfd/faq_laws.shtml

~ Sir Winston Churchill
Old 02-05-14, 05:50 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,666 Times in 14,621 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

F**k them. Get meds, document with your own personal dated notes and document everything with the counselor. Make sure he or she writes and dates everything. Once you have a diagnosis see a lawyer so when they fire you, you have a paper trail. Maybe ask the lawyer about accomodations but until you are ready to walk into HR armed with knowledge and evidence, dont say anything.

I carried a watermelon?