ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 03-05-14, 06:13 PM

SheTaz98 has a spectacular aura aboutSheTaz98 has a spectacular aura about
Meds aren't working?

Hi! I have a six year old son who is taking adderal XR. We have been working on getting him regulated. It was going great, but for the last couple of weeks we have been going in reverse.It seems like we are back where he was before we started on the meds. Has anyone else had this problem?? If so what are my options? Thanks.
Old 03-05-14, 06:42 PM
Forum Guru

CrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud of
Re: Meds aren't working?

How long has he been on Adderall XR, and what dose?
Old 03-06-14, 07:07 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,191 Times in 14,311 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to ask the same thing, we need more info in order to comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLazyGal View Post
How long has he been on Adderall XR, and what dose?

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-14, 01:11 AM

Janben is on a distinguished road

Me! I was just about to make a similar post about my 5year old. He is on Adderall XR 10mg per day. Now we are having wild behavior in pre-school again. No suggestions unfortunately but maybe some of the more experienced parents can help us both.
Old 03-07-14, 01:19 AM
Forum Guru

CrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janben View Post
Me! I was just about to make a similar post about my 5year old. He is on Adderall XR 10mg per day. Now we are having wild behavior in pre-school again. No suggestions unfortunately but maybe some of the more experienced parents can help us both.
How long has he been on it?
Old 03-07-14, 01:51 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

zette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud of

Adderall 10mg XR is the lowest dose. Our experience was that at 10mg the improvement was slight, at 15mg we started to see a little improvement, and at 20mg the change was DRAMATIC. He had bad rebound with 20mg, so we tried 20mg + a short acting afternoon booster, and finally ended up at 25mg.

DS's doctor also added Intuniv before increasing the Adderall. At 1mg we saw a little improvement. At 2mg he was markedly calmer, but the side effects at that level (severe constipation, unable to run more than 15 yards, and a generally spacey look) were unacceptable, so we went back to 1mg, which has no side effects for him.

It takes some trial and error to find the right medication and the right dosage -- and the right school setting. Switching to a school that knew how to work with a kid like ours made all the difference in the world. With the combination of the right school and the right meds, he is doing very very well socially and behaviorally, and is catching up academically.

I highly recommend:
Lost at School and The Explosive Child by Ross W. Greene
http://www.livesinthebalance.org/walking-tour-parents -- video
Essential Ideas for Parents by Russell Barkley (video on youtube)

Parenting Children with ADHD by Vincent J. Monastra
Smart but Scattered by Peg Dawson
Parenting Your Asperger Child by Alan Sohn
Wrightslaw: From Emotions to Advocacy by Peter Wright
Overcoming Dyslexia by Sally Shaywitz
The Following User Says Thank You to zette93 For This Useful Post:
BlikeH20 (03-12-14)
Old 03-07-14, 02:36 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,965 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Different people require different dosages, but the range is fairly well established - the XR dosages start at 10 because it's the smallest dose of that drug that anyone regularly needs. It's likely that the majority of children will need more - in some cases significantly more - to see an improvement.

It's very common with a too-low dose to see a short few days of improvement and then a steep drop-off to nowhere. This is only an initial "honeymoon" effect, and does not keep happening; after that first drop-off in effectiveness, when the dosage is then gradually raised to the most useful level, there is not another similar drop-off.

Don't make the mistake of thinking lower doses are better for your child's overall health. All of the available doses have about the same general health effects - it's just that one of the doses will actually do some good for the ADHD. And if by accident a child gets onto a dose that's too high, simply reducing it again is all that's needed - there's no permanent effect of taking 5 or 10 mg too much Adderall for a week or two. In the long run (and maybe even in the short run), ADHD behaviour and ADHD impairment are worse for your child's health and well-being than Adderall is.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
BlikeH20 (03-12-14), BrainFreeze (03-30-14)